Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common

This is a discussion on Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So both of those quotes say the same thing. Video games are not the cause of anything kind of violence, and purposely exposing kids to ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common

So both of those quotes say the same thing.

Video games are not the cause of anything kind of violence, and purposely exposing kids to way too much games and TV, effected their grades (duh) but did not make them go crazy and hurt anyone. The bad kids and bullies were still bullies with bad grades 5 months later and the kids who were already of a "forgiving" nature remained so.

What's your point? That I'm right.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

2. Remove Ads

Enough already boys. . . .
    What was the topic again??
    This has to do with it how??
    This goes toward situational awareness as I see it. If the people did not see the "kids" as kids, but as potential threats they may have been able to avoid the situation. But 20/20 hindsight is always right.
    The couple should consider themselves lucky to be alive after a group like this got a hold of them.

Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Try and apply some critical thinking. I can see it's hard for you.
    This from a guy whose signature says, ""Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."?

So tell me, if someone doesn't like your words, is it all right for that person to respond with bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
    So tell me, if someone doesn't like your words, is it all right for that person to respond with bullets?
    No.

When you do that the police come and they are unhappy with you.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold:

Soon after they became friends, Harris and Klebold linked their personal computers on a network and both played many games over the Internet. Harris created a set of levels for the game Doom which later became known as the Harris levels.

Harris had a Web presence under the handle "REB" (short for Rebel) and other cyber aliases including "Rebldomakr," "Rebdoomer," and "Rebdomine," while Klebold went by the names "VoDKa" and "VoDkA."

Harris had various websites that hosted Doom and Quake files, as well as team information for those he gamed with online. The sites openly spouted hatred for the people of their neighborhood and the world in general. When the pair began experimenting with pipe bombs, they posted results of the explosions on the websites.

Harris was a fan of musical groups such as Rammstein, KMFDM, Orbital, and The Prodigy....

...The pair created levels for the computer games Doom and Quake. Some of the Harris level packs have graphical modifications that 'enhance' the violent content of the game. Generous supplies of monsters, ammunition, and weapons are some of the other features of the levels created by Eric Harris.

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I hate the word "parenting."

As for poor rearing, I know some early childhood development academicians who are becoming concerned that the "approved"/"good" shows -- such as Nick Jr. Shows like "Dora the Explorer" are teaching young kids to see/accept the TV/video as authorities -- as more than just entertainment, more even than just role models, but particularly as a source of instruction to be followed in lieu of parental guidance.

In their studies they are seeing not only poor "parenting" but a lack of the parents actual teaching/raising/rearing but rather abdicating all authority to something/someone else
    More evidence that "good shows" are authority figures, being used to bypass parents actual teaching/raising/rearing but rather abdicating all authority to something/someone else.

Federal Eye - 'Sesame Street' Frequently Tapped for Gov't. Outreach

'Sesame Street' Frequently Tapped for Gov't. Outreach

The cast of "Sesame Street" has frequently partnered with the federal government for various causes.

The federal government has once again recruited the fuzzy residents of Sesame Street for a series of public service announcements, this time asking Elmo and his human friend Gordon to help spread the word about swine flu prevention.

In four separate public service announcements -- one of which you can watch here -- the two characters explain the importance of washing hands and sneezing into the bend of an arm, rather than a hand. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius first announced the PSAs in May, which have since been added Flu.gov, the government's one-stop shop for all things H1N1. The PSAs will air on television stations nationwide that donate the airtime.

This is not the first time the show has partnered with the government or other groups to promote social issues. Earlier this year the show produced a special about how military service members adjust after returning from war and Cookie Monster joined Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to launch a new campaign promoting healthy eating and exercise.

The federal government's relationship with Sesame Street dates back to at least the early 1990s, when Barbara Bush became the first first lady to appear on the show. She read a book with Big Bird, The Count and some children and later appeared with her husband at the start of a Muppet Babies anti-drug special.

Hillary Clinton discussed health tips with Big Bird and Rosita in 1993. In 2003, Laura Bush read a book with Big Bird and Elmo, and Michelle Obama appeared on the show earlier this year to discuss healthy eating.
    Again, not that this lets the preps off the hook. Rather, it points to a concerted effort to bypass parents and usurp authority.
    Last edited by DaveH; September 2nd, 2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo fixed
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links