Stupid: 2 arrested in fatal shooting near Purdue

This is a discussion on Stupid: 2 arrested in fatal shooting near Purdue within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by the Indystar 2 arrested in fatal shooting near Purdue By John Tuohy Posted: August 23, 2009 A Carmel High School graduate jailed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As reported by the Indystar

2 arrested in fatal shooting near Purdue

By John Tuohy
    Posted: August 23, 2009

A Carmel High School graduate jailed for the fatal shooting of a friend at Purdue University was released on $10,000 bond Sunday.
    Cory Lynch, 22, is facing preliminary charges of reckless homicide and felony pointing of a firearm for shooting Landon Siela, 21, at about 7 p.m. on Saturday. Siela is from Fort Wayne.

Lynch, a Purdue junior, told police the shooting in his campus apartment was an accident. West Lafayette Police Sgt. Jason Philhower said Lynch and his roommate, William Calderon, 22, of Fort Wayne, were playing a joke on Siela when a semi-automatic handgun discharged and the bullet struck Siela in the neck.
    "They said they wanted to scare him when he came out of the bathroom," Philhower said.
    Siela was not a student but was visiting Lynch and Calderon on the weekend before classes start at Purdue.
    Philhower said the men were dinking liquor at the time. Lynch and Calderon took breathalyzer tests and would have been considered legally drunk if they were driving. Philhower would not say what they registered on the breathalyzers.
    Lynch and Calderon, also a Purdue junior, pointed handguns at Siela when he left the bathroom. They thought both guns were unloaded but Lynch's gun fired a shot.
    One gun was legally registered to Calderon but police were unsure who owned the other gun.
    Both Lynch and Calderon called police from their cell phones after the shooting. One student was giving Siela cardiopulmonary resuscitation when police and paramedics arrived.
    Calderon was charged with misdemeanor pointing a firearm and false informing. He also posted bond and was released from the Tippecanoe County Jail.
    Lynch graduated from Carmel High School in 2005. Attempts to reach him Sunday night were unsuccessful.
    The report can be found at; 2 arrested in fatal shooting near Purdue | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Nothing like pointed loaded firearms at someone when you're drunk...

idiots
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

cj
    *sigh* Incidents like this just give ammunition to antis, who portray all owners as acting like this. It's so difficult, believing that everyone should have the right to keep and bear arms, then seeing idiots like this killing people before they can finally be determined to not be entitled to such a right.

cj,

For every argument such as that by following the _exact_ same logic there then should be a limitation and licensing/permitting toward/against the rights of; Free speech both verbal and written, Right to assemble, Right to protest government and express displeasure with as much, Right to practice religion, and additionally there should be a license/permit required toward/against the right of people to procreate.

If such licensing/permitting had been in place then it would have prevented this incident from occurring in the first place as neither person would have been allowed to speak of such a plan, or with technology even think of it.
    As well one if not both of the gun play persons would not have been allowed by license/permit to be born, and/or their parents too.

With every right comes responsibility.
    With responsibility inevitably comes those who will be and are irresponsible.
    With irresponsibility inevitably comes unfortunate and often times avoidable incidents such as these.

Freedom is not free. It does come with a cost.

- Janq is not swayed, and neither should you be
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    The most dangerous firearm around is the one that’s unloaded.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

cj
    For every argument such as that by following the _exact_ same logic there then should be a limitation and licensing/permitting toward/against the rights of; Free speech both verbal and written...
    Sorry, I know my post was wordy, but I never once used any logic to recommend limiting any rights, I simply stated it makes it more difficult to argue against it. Now these guys will have a firearms crime on their records and will likely have vastly limited access in the future (thus my statement about their not being entitled to such rights).

Really, I think it comes down to education and beliefs about guns. They're too 'cool', or as I think Bane put it in a podcast recently, 'idolized', and thus not given proper handling and respect. In movies, they always do exactly what people want them to do. Since you can't even mention 'gun' in school these days without getting suspended, where else can they learn?

As irresponsible as this is, there will always be those type of people. Always. You can't breed it out of us, control it with legislation or rid the human race of it.

I had a conversation with a very liberal anti-gun lady in our church and she told me that I was more prone to hurting myself or an innocent with my firearm as well as the bad person I'd be using it against. My answer to her was that I and many of my gun owning cohorts are responsible and that the "quote" she was using was pure BS used to make gun owners look like whack jobs. She kind of changed the conversation when she heard how I felt about the whole thing.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Alcohol and guns........1 + 1 = MORONS
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Proves a couple points,.. No matter what laws are out there, there will be handgun's on school campus's.. Secondly,.. Stupid people shouldn't breed,... Sad outcome for sure.. Three lives lost or really messed up.. :-(

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Tragedy to be sure!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    The most dangerous firearm around is the one that’s unloaded.
    Regards,
    Right! And the ones that discharge themselves! I can hear him saying it in my head, "It... it just went off."

The article should read, "...when Lynch pointed the gun at Siela, pulled the trigger, and the bullet struck Siela in the neck."

It's the reason some animals eat their young.

this entire incedent was avoidable, no young drunks with guns!!!!

Just like cars and alcohol don't mix, neither do guns and alcohol.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Proves a couple points,.. No matter what laws are out there, there will be handgun's on school campus's.. Secondly,.. Stupid people shouldn't breed,... Sad outcome for sure.. Three lives lost or really messed up.. :-(
    Just a couple of observations...

- This occurred off-campus. In a sense, no different from any other geographic area where it's legal to carry or possess a firearm.

- Technically it's not unlawful to conceal on campus, it's against University policy. However, that policy can dictate your status with the University should you be caught (expulsion, dismissal, fired, etc). But I agree, regardless of how you try to legislate it, there will always be people who feel the risk of carrying on campus is worth it (meant in the protective way), and a few who carry to do harm.

The local paper just ran an update on the story and indicates that 1 of the firearms may have belonged to the victim, and they had been playing with Airsoft guns earlier.

Honestly I can't imagine visiting friends (or whoever) and removing the firearm off my person without completely securing it somewhere.

Here's a link to the local story:

Update: Victim may have owned handgun involved in fatal shooting

No mention yet on whether anyone is a CCW holder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links