Hatfields and McCoys?

This is a discussion on Hatfields and McCoys? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Feuding families cause riot of about 150 in Ala. Buzz up!134 votes Send Email IM Share Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Twitter ...

Thread: Hatfields and McCoys?

Hatfields and McCoys?

Feuding families cause riot of about 150 in Ala.
    Buzz up!134 votes Send
    Email IM Share
    Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Twitter Yahoo! Bookmarks Print 1 hr 28 mins ago
    MARION, Ala. Two Alabama families that had been fighting for years turned their feud into a full-scale riot Monday outside a small-town city hall, with up to 150 screaming people hurling tire irons and wielding baseball bats. Eight people were arrested, and at least four were hurt, Trooper John Reese said. Two were taken to hospitals. The town's police chief was hit in the head with a crowbar but was OK.

The two- or three-year-old feud apparently prompted a fight earlier in the day at a high school, after a window was shot out of a home Sunday night. Then, "all hell broke loose" later in the day, said Sgt. Carlton Hogue of the Perry County Sheriff's Department.

"It was a full-scale riot is what it was," said Tony Long, mayor of the town of 3,300 about 85 miles west of Montgomery.

Hogue said the rioters were "throwing jack irons, throwing tire irons, anything they could get their hands on." Some people carried baseball bats and brooms.

Reese said two people were arrested at the high school during the initial disturbance. Relatives of the people who were arrested followed officers to police headquarters at city hall, and then the melee erupted.

Six more people were arrested at city hall, Reese said, and police called in reinforcements from surrounding cities. Some officers wore riot gear, and many planned to stay overnight to help maintain order.

The mayor said he wasn't sure what sparked the fracas.

"Everybody's trying to point the finger at everybody," he said.

Judson College, a church-affiliated women's school with about 300 students in downtown Marion, issued an alert asking students to stay out of the downtown area for 24 hours as a precaution.
    I'm surprised nobody got shot,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Recent media reports say...

Police took photos of the entire 'rioting crowd', and in a last combined count...there were a total of seven teeth in in all...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...there were a total of seven teeth in in all...
    I believe that is Dental Profiling

Police took photos of the entire 'rioting crowd', and in a last combined count...there were a total of seven teeth in in all...
    They were in the family dog
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Seven is pretty generous.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I refer to that as unfortunate smiles
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

VIP Member

Small potatoes

Ah, the Hatfields and McCoys were pikers, compared to a feud in my family's distant past.

Two Reiving Clans of Scottish West March Battle for Supremacy

Throughout the centuries that the Reivers held sway in the English Scottish Border lands many of the families were at feud. None more so than the Johnstones and Maxwells

In the Scottish south-west Borderlands of the 16th century two families vied for supremacy, the Johnstones and the Maxwells. Their feud had festered for nigh on a century when the events of 1593 would bring it to a head. One of the bloodiest family battles in British history would ensue.
    Read more: Border Reivers - Maxwell - Johnstone Feud: Two Reiving Clans of Scottish West March Battle for Supremacy | Suite101.com

16th century & clan conflicts
    There had been a long running feud between Clan Johnstone and the Clan Maxwell. The feud came to a head on 7 December 1593 at the Battle of Dryfe Sands near Lockerbie. The Clan Maxwell army approached the Johnstone town of Lockerbie. Johnston kept most of his men hidden, just sending a handful of men out on horseback to taunt and provoke the Maxwells. The Johnstones attacked, taking the Maxwells by surprise as they were attempting to ford the river Annan[9]. The Clan Maxwell fared badly that day. In all, it is said that up to 700 Maxwells were killed, but this may be an exaggerated number. Many were wounded by downward sword strokes known as "Lockerbie Licks." And their chief, Lord Maxwell, who was one of the most powerful people in southern Scotland, was slain in cold blood by the Johnstones when he asked for mercy and offered to surrender. Although Sir Johnstone escaped punishment from the King for his actions, he did not escape the unforgiving hand of the next Lord Maxwell, son of the chief who was killed at Dryfe Sands. In 1608, Lord Maxwell shot Sir Johnstone in the back during a meeting held “under trust,” which rendered him an outlaw. Lord Maxwell was later captured and executed by hanging.[10]

The Clan Johnstone also had a long feud with the Clan Moffat who were another Scottish border clan who were raiders and reivers, and conducted long-running feuds with their neighbours. Their greatest enemies were the Clan Johnstone. The feud climaxed with murder of the Clan Moffat chief in 1557, Robert Moffat. The Clan Johnstone then went on to burn the local church with the most important members of the Moffat family inside, slaughtering anyone who tried to escape. Thus, in one blow the powerful Clan Moffat was almost wiped out. Seventy years later all of the Moffat's lands were passed to the Johnstones due to the Moffats having massive debts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Johnstone
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sounds like that's an issue that's not going to be solved over a couple beers.

Somewhat on the non-violent side, though. If there had been a riot of 150 people here in St. Louis, I'd predict not only 8 arrested, but probably 8+ shot.

I guess the folks in Alabama were showing Southern hospitality toward their neighbors.

Links