Bad and good

This is a discussion on Bad and good within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 17yo ex-student at a California High School brought 10 pipe bombs, a chainsaw, and a sword to the school. This link isn't updated yet but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad and good

VIP Member

Bad and good

17yo ex-student at a California High School brought 10 pipe bombs, a chainsaw, and a sword to the school. This link isn't updated yet but I'm sure it soon will be.

Explosion Rocks High School in California, Students Evacuated - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

"He Could Have Killed Our Whole Class" - NBCBAYAREA- msnbc.com

He is said to have admitted to exploding all of the pipe bombs then going after the survivors with the chainsaw and sword. 2 bombs did detonate and he was trying to get the saw started when school officials rushed him and kept him pinned until LEO arrived.

My thoughts.......gun-control doesn't solve any issues with controlling crime or anyone with homicidal thoughts/plans. It goes against all logic to target a tool to prevent crimes since another tool is available, but instead should have harsh penalties and strong enforecement.

This guy used no guns but definitely had deadly weapons.
    Kudos to the school officials that stopped this guy, and thankfully nobody was hurt in subduing him. It could have been a lot worse. If he would have had a firearm.....what is the one tool that school officials, teachers, parent, passer-by could have used to stop this threat in a GUN-FREE zone???.......a firearm of their own.

I also wonder why this story hasn't grabbed the national headlines of every network and on the home page of every news website. Could it be because he didn't use firearms? Imagine if he'd used firearms what the news channels/websites would have on them today.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

We'll soon see legislation to ban chainsaws...

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

ban all chainsaws and swords...... and pipes....... probably will have to ban money too since he probably used money to buy those things.

ban all chainsaws and swords...... and pipes....... probably will have to ban money too since he probably used money to buy those things.
    And school officials. After all, they subdued an obviously underprivileged, misunderstood and abused child.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Spending time with your children at the dinner table and talking to them as growing adults goes farther than any government laws in stopping this kind of behavior. No matter how long or bad your day is, children need a parent to spend time with. A computer, TV or video game will not take a positive parents place. Morals are taught from age one, not after they start expressing opinions. With out good morals in place, no amount of laws will have any effect on violence. Just my two cents worth.
    Never forget the ones we have lost in the past, but always focus on the future.

mkh
    I too am surprised by how little attention the national news media paid to this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I too am surprised by how little attention the national news media paid to this.
    Ditto.

Nothing at all about this on ABCNews.com.
    Just garbage about Bernie Madoffs affair with some stupid chick and feature about Gwyneth Paltrow buying an $11.5M mansion.

Absolutely if a gun or single bullet had been found on his person this would be front cover breaking news news.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by mosouthpaw View Post
    Why not?

The "progressives" have already banned individuality, self determination and self responsibility.

The state will determine what you need and dispense it to you as it sees fit. We are subjects, not free people anymore. Since this story didn't involve a gun the news didn't cover it, as it doesn't fit into their anti-gun political agenda.

Biker

Was it an "assault chainsaw" capable of multiple cuts with a single trigger pull?
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Spending time with your children at the dinner table and talking to them as growing adults goes farther than any government laws in stopping this kind of behavior. No matter how long or bad your day is, children need a parent to spend time with. A computer, TV or video game will not take a positive parents place. Morals are taught from age one, not after they start expressing opinions. With out good morals in place, no amount of laws will have any effect on violence. Just my two cents worth.
    +10000 on that; too many of these kids nowadays have no moral compass, and it shows up as they get older. My late Father-in-law was a retired Air Force master Sergeant who took one of my daughters' male friends under his wing a couple of years before he passed away; this kid was well on his way to nowhere, long hair, a tattoo and numerous body piercings and dressed like a "goth". My father in law convinced him to sign up for military service (he chose the marine corps) at 17, his mother didn't care at all, she just wanted him out of her house, and off he went to boot camp that summer. When he got back, I didn't recognize him; his grades turned around, he graduated high school and served his country with honor in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He is now in officer candidate school and sent us a letter recently telling us that if it weren't for my father in law, he would be nowhere in life right now because his father was never there for him. My wife cried when she read this letter, knowing that her dad completely turned a kid around who had no future whatsoever before he left us......

I just told her that the military specialized in turning people around.......And making men from boys.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Agree that if a gun was involved it would have been all
    over the news. I didnt hear anything about it until I read
    the story on here. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Of course could
    have been much worse. My hat goes off to the teacher that
    tackled the BG. Wonder if lawsuits will be handed out to the maker
    of this deadly chainsaw? haha

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I actually heard about this on Fox first, sadly even they are barely covering it.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Good for the Teacher who went for the tackle, and staying there knowing the schmuck was covered in pipe bombs.

No cowering in a corner like a pinned sheep in this case.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Im curious what the backlash on the school officials is going to be. Someone is going to try and blame them or sue them for "undue force"

Great job for the teachers. Too bad they didn't have access to a gun to take care of the problem from a safe area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links