Possum shoots Chicken Farmer

This is a discussion on Possum shoots Chicken Farmer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; MOUNT VERNON, Wash. A northwest Washington man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the leg while hunting an opossum that had been snatching ...

Thread: Possum shoots Chicken Farmer

Possum shoots Chicken Farmer

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. A northwest Washington man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the leg while hunting an opossum that had been snatching his chickens.

Larry Tenbrink of Mount Vernon was watching TV when he heard his chickens "carrying on" late Sunday. He figured the problem was the opossum that had already killed more than a dozen of his chickens over the past few months.

Tenbrink grabbed his .22 caliber pistol, headed outside and spotted an opossum the size of a large cat wandering his property. But he accidentally pulled the trigger too early, sending a bullet through his lower right thigh.

The 61-year-old handyman told the Skagit Valley Herald on Monday that he's back home after a trip to the hospital. And though the opossum is free for now, he'll be hunting it again. But next time, he says he'll use a trap.

___

[/QUOTE]
    I think my story sounds better,OTOH note to farmer,keep yer chicken pluckers off the bang switch til ready to fire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

It not the opossum, it's the finger...it's always a finger thing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The title of the post kind of threw me for a second. I was thinking that 'possums are now carrying weapons when stealing from chicken farmers, but after reading it, I see that I am in error.

Kidding aside, the guy needs some safety classes when dealing with a firearm.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Note to self: Keep booger hook off the bang switch.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    The title of the post kind of threw me for a second. I was thinking that 'possums are now carrying weapons when stealing from chicken farmers, but after reading it, I see that I am in error.

Kidding aside, the guy needs some safety classes when dealing with a firearm.
    I thought that George Jones had shot someone!

Surely this will generate some much needed legislation for tighter gun control with armed possums.

I once was "shooing" you know, like "shoo shoo", not shooting) a possum off my front porch railing with a broom. The lil fella decided he liked my looks and started coming down the broom handle to shake hands with me. I checked, and he wasn't "carrying" so I just toted him to the fence and tossed him over. Dang glad I didn't have to draw!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I once was "shooing" you know, like "shoo shoo", not shooting) a possum off my front porch railing with a broom. The lil fella decided he liked my looks and started coming down the broom handle to shake hands with me. I checked, and he wasn't "carrying" so I just toted him to the fence and tossed him over. Dang glad I didn't have to draw!!
    My lab use to bring home her"things" she found,nore than once it was a possum playing dead,,I could tell by her gait in the dark when she had something that was gonna scare the crap out of me
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

They "can" be vicious animals if they want to be. I would suggest using a rifle....and not a hand gun. Shotguns work well too, although he may take a few chickens out in the process.

The real "trick" , is not to put that finger on the trigger until he has the muzzle aimed at the target.

VIP Member

Media agenda

It really gets my goat when the Roanoke Times (Roanoke Va) published this story from across the country, but won't publish accounts of defensive shooting around the State.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Did anyone ever consider that one of the chickens might have thought he was coming for them and shot the farmer. If the chicken thought it was dinner for the next day it could be considered a justified shooting!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    This guy needs a new job title. "Handyman" no longer applies.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

It's not just a finger trigger issue, it's also a muzzle awareness issue. It should have never been pointed at his thigh to begin with, unless he was using some floppy holster and drew the weapon dangerously.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    MOUNT VERNON, Wash. A northwest Washington man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the leg while hunting an opossum that had been snatching his chickens.

Larry Tenbrink of Mount Vernon was watching TV when he heard his chickens "carrying on" late Sunday. He figured the problem was the opossum that had already killed more than a dozen of his chickens over the past few months.

Tenbrink grabbed his .22 caliber pistol, headed outside and spotted an opossum the size of a large cat wandering his property. But he accidentally pulled the trigger too early, sending a bullet through his lower right thigh.

The 61-year-old handyman told the Skagit Valley Herald on Monday that he's back home after a trip to the hospital. And though the opossum is free for now, he'll be hunting it again. But next time, he says he'll use a trap.

___
    I think my story sounds better,OTOH note to farmer,keep yer chicken pluckers off the bang switch til ready to fire[/QUOTE]

Ban possums.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

I'm not sure this guy needs to be messing around with traps without adult supervision.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links