Virginia Tech students shot -- off campus

This is a discussion on Virginia Tech students shot -- off campus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sheriff asks public for help in investigation into teens' deaths - Roanoke.com Sheriff asks public for help in investigation into teens' deaths Anyone in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virginia Tech students shot -- off campus

VIP Member
    Sheriff asks public for help in investigation into teens' deaths - Roanoke.com

Sheriff asks public for help in investigation into teens' deaths
    Anyone in the area of Caldwell Fields or the nearby shooting range Wednesday or Thursday is asked to call.
    By Shawna Morrison
    381-1665

The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office made a plea Monday, the fifth day of its continuous investigation into the killings of two Virginia Tech students, that anyone who was in the Craig Creek Road area in the 24 hours before the teens' bodies were found contact deputies.

That includes not only people who were in the Caldwell Fields area of the Jefferson National Forest, where the bodies of David Metzler and Heidi Childs were found, but also anyone who was in the area of the national forest shooting range between 8 a.m. Wednesday and 8 a.m. Thursday, when the bodies were found by a passer-by.

"It is possible that they may unknowingly have information that could assist in the double homicide investigation being worked by our office," Lt. Brian Wright said.

Wright said Metzler and Childs were last heard from about 8:30 or 9 p.m. Wednesday. He said he couldn't elaborate on that contact.

At her funeral Monday, which was streamed live on Heritage Baptist Church's Web site, Childs' father, Donald Childs, said that she and Metzler had planned to make a campfire that night and talk. He said Heidi Childs had told her parents that day she wanted to change her studies to pre-med and also wanted to talk to Metzler about it.

The sheriff's office has said it appears they were shot, though they have not said how many times or where on their bodies. Autopsies were performed at the medical examiner's office in Roanoke, but the report has not yet been released to the sheriff's office, Wright said.

Wright said Monday there was no new information to be released. He said deputies have heard from several people in connection with the incident, but no suspects or a suspect vehicle have been identified.

"There are so many avenues of leads to follow," he said.

Wright said investigators have been working closely with the Metzler and Childs families and have not been able to find a motive for the killings. That, he said, is why the sheriff's office believes the killings were random.

The sheriff's office had obtained a search warrant Thursday to check Metzler's 1992 Toyota Camry for any clues in the killings. Monday, a list of items taken from the car was filed in Montgomery County Circuit Court.

Only three items were listed: hairs, a sweatshirt and the car itself.

Metzler's body was found inside the car in a day-use area of Caldwell Fields, a popular hiking and camping site. Childs' was found outside it.

Anyone who was in the area is asked to call the sheriff's office at 382-2951
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

$10,000 reward

Virginia Tech announces $10,000 reward for information about killings - Roanoke.com

Virginia Tech announces $10,000 reward for information about killings
    University administrators and members of the board of visitors donated $10,000 for the reward.
    By Tonia Moxley
    381-1675

Virginia Tech is offering a $10,000 reward for information that helps solve the slayings of Tech students Heidi Childs and David Metzler last week in the Jefferson National Forest.

Childs, 18, of Forest and Metzler, 19, of Lynchburg were found shot to death on Aug. 27 at the Caldwell Fields campground off Craig Creek Road in Montgomery County.

Childs was a biochemistry major and Metzler was studying industrial systems engineering at Tech. Both were sophomores.

The couple was last heard from about 8:30 or 9 p.m. on Aug. 26. Police have said they believe the killings may have been random because investigators have been unable to find a motive.

Lt. Brian Wright of the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office said police are looking for any information that may be pertinent to the case.

Tech announced the reward Thursday afternoon. The funds were donated by university administrators and members of the board of visitors who have asked to remain anonymous, Tech spokesman Mark Owczarski said.

"We're hoping against hope it will help provide important information," Owczarski said.

Police have boosted patrols in that area of the county, Wright said.

The U.S. Forest Service has also beefed up patrols in and around Caldwell Fields and the nearby Pandapas Pond day-use area, said Barbara Walker of the Blacksburg district office.

Users of forest property are encouraged to travel in groups and inform people of their whereabouts.

"These are good cautions to have any time, but especially right now," Walker said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff's office at 382-2951.
    Re: "beefed up patrols in and around Caldwell Fields and the nearby Pandapas Pond day-use area"

Yesterday I drove by Caldwell Fields, spent about three hours at the range, stopped by Pandapas Pond and never saw a patrol car.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links