Situational awareness FAIL

This is a discussion on Situational awareness FAIL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NC woman killed after argument over gunplay - State | NC woman killed after argument over gunplay The Associated Press Saturday, August 29, 2009 GREENVILLE, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Situational awareness FAIL

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Situational awareness FAIL

NC woman killed after argument over gunplay - State |
    NC woman killed after argument over gunplay

The Associated Press

Saturday, August 29, 2009
    GREENVILLE, N.C. — Friends of a woman killed outside her North Carolina home say she was shot by a man who she had got into an argument with for shooting a gun in the air several hours earlier.
    The Daily Reflector of Greenville reports 47-year-old Lorraine Pearson died early Friday morning after she was shot in the neck.
    Police say a murder warrant has been issued for Markelby Ward.
    Neighbors say Pearson confronted Ward several hours before she was shot after Ward rode a bicycle down the street outside her Greenville home, firing a handgun in the air.
    Friends say Ward shot the woman as the two began arguing again several hours later.
    ___
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Confronted somebody that is reckless enough to discharge a gun in a residential neighbourhood,she should of called the cops
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Gotta hand it to the lady for being brave
    and standing up to the guy but she paid the
    cost with her live. Definitely not the best response
    on her part to an armed crazed person.

Calling the cops was probably not an option in her neighborhood.

Woman killed trying to quell gunplay, neighbors said - News | Reflector.com

A woman shot and killed early Friday was trying to keep a young man from firing his weapon on a block plagued by drug dealing, friends and neighbors said.

Lorraine Pearson, 47, of 305 Raleigh Ave., was shot in the neck in the middle of the road in front of her home about 2:30 a.m., allegedly by a 21-year-old man she had a confrontation with hours before, her neighbors said. She died at Pitt County Memorial Hospital.

Police issued a warrant for the arrest of Markelby Jerome Ward, also known as “Scooter,” on charges of first-degree murder, Cpl. Kip Gaskins of the Greenville Police Department said.

Her friends and neighbors said Pearson had confronted Ward after he rode a bicycle along the street about 6 p.m. Thursday.

Next-door neighbor Mattie Jones said on Friday that she is frightened and angry. She said the killing was senseless, the result of out-of-control crime on the block.

“I hate what’s going on in the neighborhood,” Jones said. “I’ve been living here 37 years, sitting right here on my porch. Now, I can’t sit on my porch no more. It hurts my feelings.”

Jones also was dazed by her friend’s death, she said.

“I knew Lorraine for seven years,” Jones said. “She was a great talker and a good girl.”

Jones said Ward had been riding his bike up and down the street about 6 p.m. the evening before and shooting a handgun in the air.

“She told him loudly to go home and stop acting crazy,” Mattie Jones said.

Jones’ son, Tyrone, said that Pearson had gone into the street and confronted Ward about the shooting.

Ward left the block when confronted by Pearson, Tyrone Jones said. He saw no sign of him until early the next morning.

“She was always out here trying to get the young folks to stop acting crazy,” Dorothy Daniels, Mattie Jones’ daughter, said.

Tyrone Jones said he was inside his house about 2:30 a.m., and he heard Pearson and Ward arguing about Ward’s earlier gunplay.

“He told her he didn’t have a gun, and she told him, 'Scooter, I saw you with the gun. I saw you go get it and come back.’ They were arguing back and forth like that, and all of a sudden, I heard a shot,” Tyrone Jones said.

When he heard the shot, Tyrone Jones said he ran outside and saw Pearson lying in the middle of Raleigh Avenue in a pool of blood.

“I saw a lot of blood coming from her neck, and I asked her, 'Lorraine, who did this to you?’” Tyrone Jones said. “She said, 'Scooter,’ and that was the last thing she said.”

The neighbors all said Ward was one of many young people who are involved in an extensive drug trade that is a regular feature of life on Raleigh Avenue.

“It’s rough around here. They’re selling drugs everywhere up and down here,” Daniels said.

The residents said officers from the police department’s IMPACT unit and the gang unit regularly patrol the neighborhood and have established good relationships in the community.

“When the activity gets heavy, they come in here full-force and take care of business. I like that,” Daniels said. But the drug dealers come back.

“We worry all the time, because you never know where a bullet’s gonna go,” Jones’ neighbor and friend, Alice Tyree, said.

Tyree and Mattie Jones looked up the block at the neatly trimmed gardens and bushes in front of some of the homes.

It used to be a nice neighborhood, until the drug dealers and the whores took it over, they said.

From where they sat, Tyree pointed in both directions up and down the street.

“Two blocks in either way, they took it over,” she said. “They fill the streets.”

Daniels explained their warning system.

“When a cop shows up on the street, one of them will be on a bike and shout, 'Roscoe’ or 'Hot Boys,’” she said. “Then you’ll see one get on his cell phone and call someone else who calls another and give warnings around the neighborhood. But there’s one word that gets them all running and clears the street: 'Lucas,’” Daniels said, referring to Greenville police Gang Unit Sgt. Nick Lucas.

Contact Michael Abramowitz at mabramowitz@coxnc.com or (252) 329-9571.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

sad story. Hope they catch this "scooter" thug quickly!

I hope that Scooter unsuccessfully attempts something stupid around a SWAT unit...it'll help avoid wasting a lot of tax dollars...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    Gotta hand it to the lady for being brave
    and standing up to the guy
    but she paid the
    cost with her live. Definitely not the best response
    on her part to an armed crazed person.
    I don't particularly think she was being brave... I believe she was foolish in the extreme and now she lost her life. Taking the dirt nap for eternity. Probably left a family behind and lots of people who loved and depended on her.

I'm thinking she was a who sadly, did not know she was a

Confronting strangers who are misusing a gun is a foolish proposition without the use of tactics and common sense enough to remain behind cover and have a means to defend yourself.

Probably should have called 911 and let the police handle the situation.

It's sad. It's a tragedy!

It literally sickens me to see someone who didn't know any better lose their life because they failed to recognize the immanent danger they placed them self in and were not prepared to deal with it.

And to get right down to it, it really doesn't matter if the offender was a stranger or someone she knew. The dynamics are the same.

Again, I don't call that bravery... I call it foolishness!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member

Question Commenting disabled??

The

Commenting has been disabled because of consistent abuse by some users.
    caught my eye.

Hum
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

One the drawbacks to a democracy is that we have to tolerate a certain number of idiots. The alternative, however is worse.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Confronting strangers
    Read it again. Both lived in the area and she called him by name.

VIP Member
    Well, she certainly should have called the police especially if she knew who it was... a little late for her now!
    I agree, very foolish of her to confront this moron.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Read it again. Both lived in the area and she called him by name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't particularly think she was being brave... I believe she was foolish in the extreme and now she lost her life. Taking the dirt nap for eternity. Probably left a family behind and lots of people who loved and depended on her.

I'm thinking she was a who sadly, did not know she was a

Confronting strangers who are misusing a gun is a foolish proposition without the use of tactics and common sense enough to remain behind cover and have a means to defend yourself.

Probably should have called 911 and let the police handle the situation.

It's sad. It's a tragedy!

It literally sickens me to see someone who didn't know any better lose their life because they failed to recognize the immanent danger they placed them self in and were not prepared to deal with it.

And to get right down to it, it really doesn't matter if the offender was a stranger or someone she knew. The dynamics are the same.

Again, I don't call that bravery... I call it foolishness!
    Last paragraph covered that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

maybe I should have chosen better words and
    said she was foolishly brave

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    maybe I should have chosen better words and
    said she was foolishly brave
    How about foolishly dead
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't particularly think she was being brave... I believe she was foolish in the extreme and now she lost her life.
    I gotta agree. She goes out and argues with a man who has demonstrated a careless disregard of others and WHO IS ARMED?!?!?!?!

Dial 911!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links