The last 48 hours

The last 48 hours

This is a discussion on The last 48 hours within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A recap of the last 48 hours in Seattle: 1. A man was shot and killed at 3am this morning in the Mount Baker neighborhood ...

Thread: The last 48 hours

The last 48 hours

A recap of the last 48 hours in Seattle:

1. A man was shot and killed at 3am this morning in the Mount Baker neighborhood in Seattle

Local News | Man shot and killed in Seattle's Mount Baker neighhood early this morning | Seattle Times Newspaper

2. A woman was badly beaten while escaping a rape attempt at 3:30am yesterday morning.

CHS Capitol Hill Seattle Blog | Early morning helicopter over Hill -- UPDATE: Woman attacked

3. 2 men were arrested last night for allegedly firing live rounds in the Northgate area.

Local News | Gunfire reports shut I-5; 2 held | Seattle Times Newspaper

4. A man was shot outside of a West Seattle bar last night just after 11pm.

West Seattle Blog… Followup: SPD Blotter summary of last night’s Admiral incident

My wife and I live 20 minutes from each of the four incidents I listed above . We went for a walk earlier this afternoon and I was conceal carrying my 1911. She asked me if it was really necessary to carry on a leisurely walk around the neighborhood. Yes it is necessary. And yes we are moving out of Seattle.

Sounds as bad as the Metro Kansas City area. One of the reasons we left. I am afraid the war in the American streets is not going to get better before it gets worse in many cities and states. I guess that is why so many law abiding citizens feel the need to carry concealed. One of the reasons I do.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Those stories could actually be stories in many FL cities. Times are getting pretty rough out there. The rural areas are finding more druggies (meth). I wouldn't go anywhere unarmed (where I can legally do so).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It sounds like 48 hours in any medium to large city.

Sad
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Welcome to Detroit...

When I get the chance it will be "Goodbye city. I am headed back to my rural roots."

The sad fact is it sounds like a lot of city's large and small now days in this country. I read stuff like that in the Chicago Tribune every morning as well.
    U.S. Navy Veteran-NRA Member
    Taurus PT 845, PT 99 AF
    Ruger SR9
    1938 Mauser K98 8mm, 1917 DWM German Luger
    1952 M1 Garand
    Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

It's a shame that twenty-something years ago and beyond Seattle was a best kept secret. Once it was touted as one of the best places to live it appears to have gotten worse. That seems to be the curse - publicizing a decent city as a nice place.

That could be any day in the Rio Grande Valley Tx,this close to the border we got lots of mexican nationals and illegals that once they commit a crime run back into mexico before they even get the investigation started.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    This stuff is pretty much everywhere. Bad economy equals more crime, so stay armed and watch your back. Yes, even in the quiet high-rent neighborhoods.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

There are two things that I find in any location.

1) Bad things happen to the nicest of people in the best of places.

2) There is no "safe" place. Some are just a little safer than others.

If you follow those two thoughts, and act accordingly, you will be better prepared for the future.

Biker

A preemptive apology to all honorable law enforcement officers, I know most of you risk your lives doing an honorable thing that most of us don't have the stomach for.

Having said that, what I'd like to see is how many people were pulled over for lane changes, broken tail lights, cell phone usage and seatbelt infractions in that same time period in the same area.

Whenever I see a Sheriff's Deputy hiding behind a bush with a radar gun in the shabby part of town near where I live, I just wonder why he's not wandering up and down the streets where drugs are sold by people resembling street vendors peddling hot dogs.

Jess
    I'm an artist, and if you give me a tuba I'll bring something out of it.
    - John Lennon

VIP Member
    And still there are those who wonder why we carry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    A preemptive apology to all honorable law enforcement officers, I know most of you risk your lives doing an honorable thing that most of us don't have the stomach for.

Having said that, what I'd like to see is how many people were pulled over for lane changes, broken tail lights, cell phone usage and seatbelt infractions in that same time period in the same area.

Whenever I see a Sheriff's Deputy hiding behind a bush with a radar gun in the shabby part of town near where I live, I just wonder why he's not wandering up and down the streets where drugs are sold by people resembling street vendors peddling hot dogs.

Jess
    Probably because we are at greater risk of injury from bad drivers than almost anything else.

As it has been said here a few times, "anytime, anyplace, anywhere". Crime knows no boundaries, it can happen. Being vigilant, and having a good situational awareness is a must.

Even in podunk Huntington, WV where I live, it's a reasonably safe city, but we have the same type of crime described by the OP. Just maybe not at that level, but it happens. Just in my nice neighborhood recently we have had multiple home invasions, a murder, and a sex offender/drug dealer arrested. No wonder we want to have a firearm in the home and a permit to carry it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links