man shoots shoplifter story (kinda long)

This is a discussion on man shoots shoplifter story (kinda long) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's my take... The store manager was an idiot for jumping up on the hood of the car! No doubt about that! However, just because ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: man shoots shoplifter story (kinda long)

Here's my take...

The store manager was an idiot for jumping up on the hood of the car! No doubt about that!

However, just because of her gross lack of judgment, she was still an innocent victim who could have been killed or crippled for life, if the car ran over her if she fell off the hood.

I have ran more then one idiot who got run over after riding on a car hood just for fun and getting run over after falling off. Let alone being on the hood of a car driven by a criminal trying to escape the scene of a crime. (One of the joy riders I ran was killed and two were critically injured.)

The ccw holder didn't shoot her before issuing a challenge... He pointed the gun at her and commanded her to STOP! It was at that point where she smiled at him and swerved directly towards him.

His broken foot and the fact he was on crutches, I believe should go a long way to support his contention that he was forced to shoot at that point. (Clearly a "disparity of force" situation, with a car vs. disabled citizen)

Having limited mobility, could reasonably be argued that he couldn't, with certainty be able to move out of the way of the woman trying to run him down.

This opinion is merely based on what is reported so far. Without further details, I reserve the right to change my opinion on this incident.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

What the story does not reveal is the ccw holder, William Miller had a broken foot and was on crutches at the time of the shooting!

Talk about going the extra mile to stop a crime at great personal risk!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

ill be willing to bet that the crazed thief will think twice about stealing and trying to run over people with her car again.

the manager should have just gotten the license plate down and pressed charges. Both the shooter and the manager should inquire if they can file charges against the thief for her actions operating the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Here's my take...

The store manager was an idiot for jumping up on the hood of the car! No doubt about that!

However, just because of her gross lack of judgment, she was still an innocent victim who could have been killed or crippled for life, if the car ran over her if she fell off the hood.

I have ran more then one idiot who got run over after riding on a car hood just for fun and getting run over after falling off. Let alone being on the hood of a car driven by a criminal trying to escape the scene of a crime. (One of the joy riders I ran was killed and two were critically injured.)

The ccw holder didn't shoot her before issuing a challenge... He pointed the gun at her and commanded her to STOP! It was at that point where she smiled at him and swerved directly towards him.

His broken foot and the fact he was on crutches, I believe should go a long way to support his contention that he was forced to shoot at that point. (Clearly a "disparity of force" situation, with a car vs. disabled citizen)

Having limited mobility, could reasonably be argued that he couldn't, with certainty be able to move out of the way of the woman trying to run him down.

This opinion is merely based on what is reported so far. Without further details, I reserve the right to change my opinion on this incident.
    It never says he was on the hood voluntarily. At a moderate speed she could easily have run him down fast enough he couldn't escape but slow enough not to bounce him or do serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    It never says he was on the hood voluntarily. At a moderate speed she could easily have run him down fast enough he couldn't escape but slow enough not to bounce him or do serious injury.
    I'm confused... You're going to have to elaborate a little.

I did later, read another story where it describes the store manager, (Female, not a he) was standing in front of the car and the woman hit the manager in the legs hard enough to throw her on top of the hood...

Ok, I get that!

It was still foolish to stand in front of a person trying to flee a crime in a car, don't you think?

The part of your post I placed in Bold type doesn't make sense. What is the point?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    A little too far!! I think those people are a little too "sheepish".
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    As to those who say and might think his accuracy could be better...Consider eh is firing at a moving target with a relatively small target window, literally, and quite possibly firing through glass too. All the while himself being in fear of his own life and possibly himself on the move to dodge the car and/or to gain a better angle to intercept and engage the driver.

That his shot made contact at all is excellent.
    Because it was not immediately incapacitating is more so a reflection of human resilience rather than that of his shot placement being poor, which it was not.

Golf claps for this citizen all the way around.

- Janq

The bullet struck Carrolls left shoulder and neck, but she continued onto Sterling Avenue and traveled northbound about 250 feet to 23rd Street. She then turned left, traveling west on 23rd, before slowing the vehicle after realizing shed been shot. Hill jumped off the vehicle unharmed.

He himself had a broken foot, managed to get to his car to block the exit, get out of the car, take aim and hit a moving target all the while he was scared for his life and he still managed to place his shot so as to miss the innocent victim who was still on the hood of the car holding on . I'd say that's impressive.

That being said, the store manager needs her head examined for jumping on a vehicle in an attempt to stop a person who was stealing meat. It's not like the thief had taken a hostage or anything. I'm sure the store is insured. Also, if the CCW guy hadn't been there, she very well could have been seriously injured or worse. I hope her store doesn't have the same policy as some other places I've read about and she finds herself out of a job for chasing a shoplifter.

Now for my question. I understand that at the point the CCW guy took the shot, he was in fear of his life and trying to help save the not so smart woman hanging onto the hood of the car. However, if the manager hadn't been on the hood of the car, would it still have been a good idea to get involved or just let her go?
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm confused... You're going to have to elaborate a little.

I did later, read another story where it describes the store manager, (Female, not a he) was standing in front of the car and the woman hit the manager in the legs hard enough to throw her on top of the hood...

Ok, I get that!

It was still foolish to stand in front of a person trying to flee a crime in a car, don't you think?

The part of your post I placed in Bold type doesn't make sense. What is the point?
    Just like you said, standing in front of the car, no time to run to the side, bam your're lying down on the hood. If the car wasn't going too fast it wouldn't have enough force to throw them out of the way, they would just be lifted up onto the hood.

Ahhh.. Ok... I must having a prolonged brain fart not to see that! Thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, apparently that's exactly how the store manager got on the hood!

I thought you were referring to the "shooter." He didn't get hit by the car but was at extreme risk of being hit because his broken foot severely limited his chances of escape!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Let's hear it for Bill Miller...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wonder when that woman is gonna find out all she has to do to get about 100 #'s of meat is to call a Conservation Agent. Heck, there are so many deer around Independence/KC, if you poach for needed food the agents will probably help you put the deer in the back of your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I wonder when that woman is gonna find out all she has to do to get about 100 #'s of meat is to call a Conservation Agent. Heck, there are so many deer around Independence/KC, if you poach for needed food the agents will probably help you put the deer in the back of your truck.
    Did you see a pic of the perp? She ain't starving!

Common problem in KC area... They shoplift meat and then sell it in the neighborhood for cash so they can buy drugs, beer and cigarettes.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links