man shoots shoplifter story (kinda long)

This is a discussion on man shoots shoplifter story (kinda long) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; By A staff report - localnews@examiner.net The Examiner Posted Sep 01, 2009 @ 12:00 AM Last update Sep 01, 2009 @ 12:27 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Independence, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: man shoots shoplifter story (kinda long)

man shoots shoplifter story (kinda long)

By A staff report - localnews@examiner.net
    The Examiner
    Posted Sep 01, 2009 @ 12:00 AM
    Last update Sep 01, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independence, MO — .An Independence man, responding to screams for help, pulled out a gun and shot a suspect in the neck as she attempted to flee the scene of an alleged shoplifting Saturday night, with the store manager clinging to the hood of the moving car.

The incident occurred at the Sunfresh grocery store at 23rd Street and Sterling Avenue in western Independence.

Loucinda M. Carroll, 41, of Independence, sustained wounds in her left shoulder and neck. Her injuries were not life threatening, and she was later charged with second-degree robbery.

The man who shot her, William Miller of Independence, had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon.

According to the Jackson County Proscutor’s Office probable cause statement, Miller heard store manager Brenda Hill screaming for help as she clung to the hood of a 1993 Ford Taurus driven by Carroll. Hill had been struck by the car after she witnessed Carroll leaving the store with a bag of meat products without paying for them. Hill followed Carroll and a companion to the car and began to write down the license plate number when the car lunged toward Hill, according to the statement.

The car lunged at Hill a second time, striking her in the legs and causing her to fall on the hood of the vehicle. The car then accelerated toward the exit on Sterling Avenue, where Miller had parked his car in an attempt to block the Taurus from leaving. The police report states that Miller got out of his car and yelled at Carroll to stop the car and exit the vehicle.

Carroll continued to turn the vehicle and attempted to exit onto Sterling. According the statement, Miller told police he then feared for his life, as he was in danger of being hit by the car, and that of Hill who was still on the hood. Miller then pulled his 9mm pistol from his right side, yelled at Carroll to get out of the vehicle and fired through the driver’s side window.

The bullet struck Carroll’s left shoulder and neck, but she continued onto Sterling Avenue and traveled northbound about 250 feet to 23rd Street. She then turned left, traveling west on 23rd, before slowing the vehicle after realizing she’d been shot. Hill jumped off the vehicle unharmed.

Carroll drove to her son’s residence, 1024 Stone Arch Drive in Independence, where her son contacted the Independence Police Department and AMR Ambulance. She was taken to jail.

Miller could not be reached for comment Monday. Hill was back at work Monday but declined comment.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

2. Remove Ads

cj
    Wow. The article starts with me thinking, "What the heck was he thinking shooting someone for shoplifting?" But then seeing that the driver was basically using her large deadly weapon to endanger multiple people, it looks like he made a tough choice and did well.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Miller told police he then feared for his life, as he was in danger of being hit by the car, and that of Hill who was still on the hood...
    Sounds good to me. I believe it meets the criteria in my State for using deadly force.

What an irresistible moving target! I'm pretty sure cars kill people more than guns in these here United States, so he was right on.

I bet the employee was carried away by primal instinct. A jerk running away with a bag of meat... I think it's instinctive to run after that person no matter what. She did good in taking a license plate (though prob. a stolen car). I would have let them have it if they were that desperate. But they crossed the line when they try to mow people down.

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    What an irresistible moving target! I'm pretty sure cars kill people more than guns in these here United States, so he was right on.

I bet the employee was carried away by primal instinct. A jerk running away with a bag of meat... I think it's instinctive to run after that person no matter what. She did good in taking a license plate (though prob. a stolen car). I would have let them have it if they were that desperate. But they crossed the line when they try to mow people down.
    my thoughts exactly..... stealing the meat one thing.... but if you are going to try to mow me down with a vehicle.......welp...
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

So now running people over with your car is not a crime either? I am very surprised she is only being charged with shoplifting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    So now running people over with your car is not a crime either? I am very surprised she is only being charged with shoplifting.
    Yeah how about an assault charge?

attempted murder?

Good shoot too bad his aim wasn't better,anybody that will try to run you down to get away with shoplifting needs some chlorine added to their gene pool
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Wow. The article starts with me thinking, "What the heck was he thinking shooting someone for shoplifting?" But then seeing that the driver was basically using her large deadly weapon to endanger multiple people, it looks like he made a tough choice and did well.
    I know what you mean. Papers love those catchy headlines.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Good shoot too bad his aim wasn't better,anybody that will try to run you down to get away with shoplifting needs some chlorine added to their gene pool
    Too late. It says she drove to her son's house.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

I need to practice on moving targets. That's some good shooting.

This is the first civilian shooting story I've seen in some time where the civilian did everything PERFECT up to and including the decision to shoot and the action of doing so.

It doesn't get any better than this, IMHO.

As to those who say and might think his accuracy could be better...Consider eh is firing at a moving target with a relatively small target window, literally, and quite possibly firing through glass too. All the while himself being in fear of his own life and possibly himself on the move to dodge the car and/or to gain a better angle to intercept and engage the driver.

That his shot made contact at all is excellent.
    Because it was not immediately incapacitating is more so a reflection of human resilience rather than that of his shot placement being poor, which it was not.

Golf claps for this citizen all the way around.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Mo CCW Shoots Shoplifter Attempting to Run People Down With Car!

An Independence Missouri CCW holder who had a broken foot and on crutches springs into action to save a store manager who was up on the hood of a shoplifters car and who then turned and tried to run him over!

Video and story link here.

Man Unapologetic for Shooting Suspected Shoplifter
    Rob Low Meagan Kelleher, FOX 4 Web Producer
    August 31, 2009

INDEPENDENCE, MO. - Did an Independence man go too far in shooting a suspected shoplifter? The store manager of a Sun Fresh grocery store in Independence was trying to stop a suspected female shoplifter when a bystander intervened and shot her.

You won't hear Bill Miller apologizing. The 37-year-old is on crutches because of a broken foot, but he still sprang to action when he saw the store manager at Sun Fresh chase a female shoplifter into the parking lot.

"The customer service girl coming out screaming, 'Help, help, my manager's on the hood,'" Miller said.

Armed with a 9 millimeter and a conceal carry permit, Miller left his crutches behind and hopped on one foot toward the suspected shoplifter's car.

"I had it pointed downward on her, I told her stop, she looked at me smiled, turned the wheel at me, acted like she was going to run me over," MIller said. "I fired one round, I thought she was going to kill me and the manager."

Miller hit the suspect in the arm and fired another round at her tire.

"Well I don't think he should've shot her, but I agree it's a good idea to try and stop her," customer George Fleming said.

"I don't know, I still think that's vigilante, I just don't go for it," customer Vicki Sims said. "I think it's a little too vigilante."

"No it's not, these criminals got to be stopped," Miller said.

"He was legal to carry it, he was protecting somebody's life or livelihood and he did the right thing," customer Leslie Reid said.

Miller said that police said they would not charge him and that what he did was justifiable.

Police and prosecutors haven't confirmed that to FOX 4, but Miller hasn't been charged so far.

The shoplifter has, though. Loucinda Carroll, 41, faces one count of robbery. Police said she was stealing meat.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Disgraceful to read that some citizens have stooping as low as to steeling meat from a grocery store, and it’s a shame this poor CCL holder had to get involved, to rescue the store manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links