Gun show discharge

This is a discussion on Gun show discharge within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Salem, Va. Salem gun show mishap brings community service - Roanoke.com Salem gun show mishap brings community service One of the two men involved in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun show discharge

VIP Member

Gun show discharge

Salem, Va.

Salem gun show mishap brings community service - Roanoke.com

Salem gun show mishap brings community service
    One of the two men involved in the accidental firing of a rifle must also pay a fine.
    By Neil Harvey
    981-3376
    Two men who were charged after a rifle was accidentally fired during a July gun show at the Salem Civic Center were ordered Tuesday to do community service. They must also make reparations to the civic center for the damage.

Police said David Jack Gold, 74, a gun dealer from Bland, was replacing the stock on his military-style rifle with his friend, Thomas Raymond Allen, 52, of Max Meadows, when the weapon went off and shot the floor. The bullet's impact sprayed bits of concrete into Allen's face and he was taken to a hospital for his injuries.

In Salem General District Court on Tuesday, Salem police Officer Mike Mills testified that Gold at first had said he'd bought the .308-caliber rifle from someone at the show but later admitted it was his gun and said he had brought it in through an entrance reserved for gun dealers.

Loaded guns were not allowed at the gun show. Firearms brought through the show's main entrance were inspected by show officials and tagged with zip-ties.

Gold testified he had test-fired the rifle days earlier and had not realized there was still a round in the chamber.

Allen told Salem Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Skip Lautenschlager that the loaded weapon was on display on Gold's table for seven hours and was handled by at least three other people, until he and Gold attempted to replace the stock.

Although he said he didn't recall touching the trigger, Allen admitted, "I must have."

Judge Vincent Lilley chided Gold for initially misleading the police and took both men to task for not ensuring that the gun wasn't loaded.

"Everybody knows you're supposed to know there's not a round down there" in the chamber, Lilley said, but said his concern was "more about what could have happened."

He convicted Gold of reckless handling of a firearm and fined him $250. He also ordered Gold to complete 40 hours of community service for a charge of obstruction of justice, which will be dismissed in a year if Gold complies.

Allen, who was charged with recklessly handling a firearm, must do 40 hours of community service. That charge also will be dismissed in a year if he completes the community service.

They also must pay $10 restitution to the Salem Civic Center for damage caused by the gunshot.

The rifle, Lilley said, will be held as evidence for a year and then destroyed.

Robert Steven Elliott, president of C&E Gun Shows, the event's promoter, said after the incident that Gold had been participating as a gun dealer in his show for 25 years. Dealers sign a contract that states they are not to have loaded guns in their booths and that they are responsible for the actions of people behind their table, he said.

The company will host another gun show at the civic center later this month. Gold has been barred from the show and C&E's upcoming events, Elliott said.
    Another gun show discharges involving a dealer.

Hum, nearly all the discharges I read about involve a dealer or a weapon that a dealer had on display.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Needs to add chamber check to his muscle memory. At least the gun was pointed in a safe direction.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Gold testified he had test-fired the rifle days earlier and had not realized there was still a round in the chamber.
    A major violation of the basic safety rules. Some people are so stupid, it surprises me that they live long enough to die. This is one of the reasons I dont attend gun shows anymore.
    Last edited by Rcher; September 2nd, 2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: sp
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    This sort of thing is always in my head whenever I am at a gun show. The amount of unsafe weapon practices I see at them never fails to amaze me and I am always a little on edge because of the vast amount of potential that sit at every table.

I am a little surprised that they destroy the weapon. I can see this being common practice for violent offenses but I wouldn't have expected it for misdemeanor charges as well.

Absolutely amazing that someone wasn't seriously injured or killed by this idiot!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

It is unbelievable that a dealer would be so reckless as to have a loaded gun sitting out for the entire world to mess with and then pick it up and “accidentally” discharge it himself. Some dealers get so routine with setting the guns up at these shows they forget about safety. Thank god no one was shot and killed.
    Gun control is two hands on a 500 Smith/Wesson

Candidate for a Darwin Award

VIP Member
    Based on life experience, I understand how “Murphy’s Law” dominates a firearm. Just when you think in a million years, it could never happen to you, it does! Anyway, he really made things worst by making up that stupid story. Oh well, those unloaded guns will get you every time!
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Is not the first rule of firearms is that it is ALWAYS loaded?

- Didn't know it was loaded
    - Didn't think he touched the trigger
    - Didn't think the rules for everyone else applied to him

Is this a case of "familiarity breeds contempt?"

Unless this guy is suffering from some organic brain problem, he ought not to be in the business of dealing in firearms with John Q. Public. Especially at a gun show, where you have no idea how experienced the potential customers are, the dealer has to be exceptionally careful about The Rules.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kicker96fs View Post
    Is not the first rule of firearms is that it is ALWAYS loaded?
    Well, actually no. The first rule is "muzzle control". He got that one half right keeping the muzzle pointed down except he broke the one that says; "never shoot at a hard or flat surface" (concrete floor). The guy is a moron!
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Anyone else bothered by the statement that the rifle will be held for a year THEN DESTROYED???

Yeah. . . . let's blame the gun.

I can see not returning it to the idiot but why not find it a good home?
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Besides being negligent, they are also incredibly lucky. This should be a wake-up reminder for everyone.
    If I have ever been anal about something, it is firearm safety. Something as simple as an open bolt may reduce the chances of something like this happening.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    Candidate for a Darwin Award
    And yes people they live among us!!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

VIP Member
    ....& in the end.....the RIFLE GETS THE BLAME & WORST PUNISHMENT!

Dealer gets a fine & loss of the gun....HOWEVER!, the GUN gets destroyed!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links