GOOD: Armed, Ready, and Willing - Houston, TX

This is a discussion on GOOD: Armed, Ready, and Willing - Houston, TX within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Clerk armed and ready for robbers, kills one | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas HOUSTON—Life can change in a second. It ...

Thread: GOOD: Armed, Ready, and Willing - Houston, TX

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Clerk armed and ready for robbers, kills one | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas

HOUSTON—Life can change in a second. It can also end. Cell phone store owner, Javid Iqbal saw both on Wednesday afternoon, in just 17 seconds.

“It is a part of my life that I will have to remember all of the time,” Iqbal recalls.

It was amazingly fast. Security video released to 11 News showed Iqbal behind the elevated counter, when the would-be robbers rush the store.

Two men with bandanas covering their faces, the leader gun in hand, vaulted over the case.

But in the five seconds that it took, Iqbal was already around the corner in the back, gun in hand.

“I see that guy come in the back pointing a gun. I just started shooting,” Iqbal says.

The two men were just inches apart, arms and guns extended. Iqbal fired three times, hitting 34-year-old Bryan Thorn.

Both robbers tried to flee after shots were fired, the second (still unidentified) man made it out, but Thorn did not. He collapsed dead in the doorway.

Iqbal said he could only think about the three most important people in his life, “I was thinking about my family; my little girl, my wife, my father,” he said.

All of them were within six feet of the shooting in the back of the store.

“My little three-year-old girl was in the store playing on the computer. The first thing wasn’t mine. I have to save my family,” Iqbal said, recalling the 17 seconds he will never forget.

This isn’t the first time. This store’s prior owner back in 2005 was also the victim of multiple robberies. One of those resulted in a shootout, which was also captured on video.

Not long after that, the owner-who was held up by three men and was not hurt- would sell this store to Iqbal.

Iqbal went on to do great business; but not all for profit, sometimes it came at a price. In all he’s been robbed four times, but no suspects were ever caught.

That is why his wife forced him to buy a gun and learn how to use it.

“Four robberies? Now I am not going to go through that again. All this happens. I have to take a stand somewhere,” Iqbal says.

The store is now open again after the shooting. His customers are standing with him.

“What if a stray bullet would have hit their daughter or hit his wife? Oh I’m sorry? For $20? Come on man,” said Carl English, who was in to pay his cell bill.

The store is still open, but Iqbal doesn’t know how long that will remain. He is now looking for a new, safer location.

Iqbal said that being robbed four times in a little over a year is all that his family can take. They are planning to move on soon.
    Good on Mr. Iqbal for doing what needed to be done in defense of himself, his family, and his property.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Clerk armed and ready for robbers, kills one | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas

Good on Mr. Iqbal for doing what needed to be done in defense of himself, his family, and his property.
    +1 He did good.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

Good on Mr. Iqbal
    Even better on Mrs. Iqbal: "...his wife forced him to buy a gun and learn how to use it."

I wonder if any of those BGs were Katrina refugees? I know a few years back I was there for a conference, and they had 4 off-duty LEOs in the parking lot of the hotel and surrounding area because of the crime wave that started when the Katrina refugees arrived....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Good job
    Gun control is two hands on a 500 Smith/Wesson

Good Job ....
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“What if a stray bullet would have hit their daughter or hit his wife? Oh I’m sorry? For $20? Come on man,” said Carl English, who was in to pay his cell bill.
    Carl English FAIL,what if the owner was unarmed and the BG just killed everybody,doesn't matter if it's $20.00 or a pair of tennis shoes people get robbed and killed everyday and most of the time they get nothing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Carl English FAIL,what if the owner was unarmed and the BG just killed everybody,doesn't matter if it's $20.00 or a pair of tennis shoes people get robbed and killed everyday and most of the time they get nothing

Carl English

What a jerk. Forget about a "stray bullet". How about an aimed shot hitting him between the eyes? I wonder if he ever thought about that? If he did he might thank Mr. Iqbal.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I wonder if any of those BGs were Katrina refugees? I know a few years back I was there for a conference, and they had 4 off-duty LEOs in the parking lot of the hotel and surrounding area because of the crime wave that started when the Katrina refugees arrived....
    It wouldn't surprise me.

If you look at Houston crime statistics they all increased after the Katrina Scum came here.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    What a jerk. Forget about a "stray bullet". How about an aimed shot hitting him between the eyes? I wonder if he ever thought about that? If he did he might thank Mr. Iqbal.
    Or what about the armed BG herding the shopkeeper AND customers into a back room... ordering them down on the floor... what THEN, Mister English???

Is this a repost or did we miss it when it happened? I saw this on the news a couple of weeks ago.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Sponsored Links