GOOD: Victim Turns The Tables - Jackson, MS

This is a discussion on GOOD: Victim Turns The Tables - Jackson, MS within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Kidnap Victim Beats Sex Attack Suspect - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston JACKSON, Miss. -- Police had been watching Vincent Goff for years, convinced ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: Victim Turns The Tables - Jackson, MS

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Victim Turns The Tables - Jackson, MS

Kidnap Victim Beats Sex Attack Suspect - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

JACKSON, Miss. -- Police had been watching Vincent Goff for years, convinced he was the masked man who sexually assaulted couples at gunpoint on the Mississippi coast. But before investigators closed in, they say Goff picked the wrong victim and was beaten nearly to death with his own rifle.

Goff, a 37-year-old unemployed Biloxi man with a wife and two stepsons, was being held Wednesday in the Harrison County Jail after spending five days in a hospital recovering from severe head wounds.

Little is known about Goff's background or the unidentified man who beat him so hard that the wood stock of the rifle broke. But authorities say Goff's arrest caps a terrorizing series of attacks that began on the sandy banks of the Biloxi River in 2006.

Goff allegedly approached a man and woman last Thursday afternoon on an isolated logging road in Harrison County and forced them into the woods with a rifle, Sheriff's Maj. Ron Pullen said Wednesday.

They were forced to strip off their clothes and told to perform sexual acts when the male victim, described as a physically fit member of the military in his mid-30s, wrestled the gun away.

"He beat him until the stock broke over his head and then continued to beat him until he thought he had him incapacitated," Pullen said.

As the victims were getting dressed and calling police, the attacker staggered to his car and sped away.

A deputy pulled Goff over based on a description of the car and tag number. The officer called for medical assistance and Goff ended up in an intensive care unit, Pullen said. He need numerous staples to close the gashes in his head.

Goff was charged with six counts of kidnapping, five counts of sexual assault, two counts of aggravated assault and one count of molesting an underage girl for crimes dating back to 2006. He does not have an extensive previous criminal record.

Pullen said he doesn't think Goff has a lawyer and would likely be appointed a public defender. Goff's home phone number was disconnected Wednesday.

Pullen said investigators were awaiting the results of DNA tests on previous victims when the latest attacks occurred. The results came back Friday while Goff was still hospitalized and allegedly linked him to the 2006 crimes.

The first suspected assault was on construction workers who came to the Mississippi Gulf Coast to find jobs in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Pullen said. The man and woman had not been able to find a place to stay and were camping on the banks of the Biloxi River. A masked attacker approached early that morning, pointed a rifle and made the couple disrobe.

"He forced them to do sexual acts on each other and then he participated in it," Pullen said.

A man and underage teenage girl were assaulted in a nearly identical attack only a few months later. The attacks become increasingly violent, though the victims were not badly hurt, Pullen said.

Over the next few years, there were other attempted assaults in the area by a masked man with a rifle -- one couple escaped by jumping into the river and swimming to the other side, Pullen said.

While Goff was under surveillance earlier this year as a suspect in an indecent exposure incident, investigators said they saw him steal a purse from a woman at the beach. That, along with the indecent exposure charges and other evidence, persuaded a judge to issue a warrant for a DNA test two weeks ago. Pullen said Goff's DNA matched that found at some of the crime scenes.

Harrison County Assistant District Attorney Charles Wood said the case would be presented to a grand jury.
    Good on the unnamed military member for turning the tables on the attacker, too bad Mr. Goff wasn't entirely removed from the gene pool. Hopefully no charges will be brought against the victim for his actions. Being as this occurred in MS, I would be very surprised if the victim was charged. Here in CT it would be another story.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Hmmm... male victim must be Air Force or some REMF. A Marine or Army infantryman would not have left him in a condition to get away.

Good. He's going to prison. Just release him into general population and things will take care of themselves.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Since he beat him with the rifle instead of busting a cap on him,I'm wondering if the gun was even loaded,wouldn't make a bit of difference criminally,but I wonder how many people get robbed etc. with either empty or fake guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hmmm... male victim must be Air Force or some REMF. A Marine or Army infantryman would not have left him in a condition to get away.

Honest to God that was my first thought upon reading this and getting to the part where it states Goff staggered away to his car the victims called police to report the car and license plate.

Still though good on that guy anyway.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

I agree......

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Since he beat him with the rifle instead of busting a cap on him,I'm wondering if the gun was even loaded,wouldn't make a bit of difference criminally,but I wonder how many people get robbed etc. with either empty or fake guns
    It would have made more sense to shoot him, during the struggle for the weapon of course, than to beat him. Now watch some ambulance
    chaser come out of the woodwork and sue the victim.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thumbs up

I'm glad the scumbag got caught.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'll give the defender an A for effort.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I wouldn't worry about him and the gene pool. Sounds like he may become a recipient rather than a donor.

was it a laminate, wood, or synthetic stock?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Police had been watching Vincent Goff for years, convinced he was the masked man who sexually assaulted couples at gunpoint on the Mississippi coast
    Goff was charged with six counts of kidnapping, five counts of sexual assault, two counts of aggravated assault and one count of molesting an underage girl for crimes dating back to 2006.
    Pullen said investigators were awaiting the results of DNA tests on previous victims when the latest attacks occurred. The results came back Friday while Goff was still hospitalized and allegedly linked him to the 2006 crimes.
    Seems like he should have been locked up 2 weeks ago...

"He beat him until the stock broke over his head and then continued to beat him until he thought he had him incapacitated

I think we should buy this military guy a walnut rifle stock...

It is good to note: He was beaten until he was no longer a threat. This incident would have met the criteria for deadly force to be used, but it is good that the military man showed restraint and stopped when the threat was incapacitated.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    It saddens me to hear of such mistreatment of a good rifle.

I sure hope that young lady is not too traumatized by this event.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Kinda reminds me of Inglorious Basterds except for the Jew Bear didn't let the German walk away.

VIP Member
    What bothers me most is that the police were "watching Vincent Goff for years". Good Grief!! How long does a scumbag like this get a pass from the police?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    It saddens me to hear of such mistreatment of a good rifle.

I sure hope that young lady is not too traumatized by this event.
    + 1
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links