Walmart shopper slaps crying child?

This is a discussion on Walmart shopper slaps crying child? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just heard that the guy is facing big-time charges.....As well he should. And if I had seen that happen in front of me, I ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Walmart shopper slaps crying child?

I just heard that the guy is facing big-time charges.....As well he should.

And if I had seen that happen in front of me, I would have slapped him around so he could see how it feels....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

This would have gone really bad for me if some stranger started slapping my daughter. Although he would have known his place after his "threat" of taking matters into his own hands.
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

Wait a minute! You mean you can be charged with a felony for slapping someone. Boy did I miss an opportunity. When I was in grade school, I had a nun slap me so hard in the face my nose was bleeding. She didn't get in trouble. Hmmmm.

VIP Member
    The guy deserves to be locked up. As far as parents with screaming children in stores, here's some advice for mom and dad - tell the child that they need to stop crying or you will leave the store and they will be punished at home. Then leave the store IMMEDIATELY if they don't stop crying. They will learn fast that crying or misbehaving will not be rewarded. I don't understand why people think that just because they're in a store they are not allowed to leave!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

As everyone has said no stanger has the right to try and discipline someone else's child. At the same time the parents should try to be respectful of other people in public and do something to punish a child for acting out so long as they are old enough to understand why they are being punished. The worst is movies, if your child is too young to even know they are at the movie then don't bring them and failing this at least take them out of the theater. If you can't get a babby-sitter wait the 3 months and watch it at home on dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Big C View Post
    This guy had such anger in him that he slapped a child he didn't even know.
    He's willing to touch another's child, to discipline that child with slapping. While I understand the motivation, there's little to no justification. The parent might well have been failing at the job of parenting, but I still can't imagine that justifies another person's intervention in that manner.

Options:
    • Leave.
    • Have a discussion with the parent about parenting skills.
    • Suggest a lollipop or other form of motivational bribery, if the situation is interfering with many shoppers and causing a problem.
    • If worthy of steps the parent isn't motivated to take, call Security and have them deal with it.
    • Or, SLAP/SPANK the child.

Yeah, that's it. The last choice on the list. Absolutely.

A felony, though? Hm. The parents had every ounce of responsibility to deal with a bad situation, if that's what it was. Don't know. I wasn't there. There has to be some accountability on the parent(s), though, if the proof is that the parent(s) fails in the task miserably.

We're doomed, as a species. This is just one more indication of how far off our collective "rocker" we've slipped.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Back in the day 40 - 45 years ago it was OK in my mom's eyes for school teachers, aunts, grand moms or friends mom's to spank if I was out of line. This man stepped over the line. I'm glad it wasn't my child or he may have gone to see his maker.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Wait a minute! You mean you can be charged with a felony for slapping someone. Boy did I miss an opportunity. When I was in grade school, I had a nun slap me so hard in the face my nose was bleeding. She didn't get in trouble. Hmmmm.
    That was in times when they could.. I used to get hit with a BIG paddle in grade school.. And then the phone call home... My dad always said when I got it in school, it would be TWICE as bad when I got home.. . And it was... But I learned, and that is the important thing,.. Never in anger,

Also, I agree one should NEVER hit a child,... But butt's was padded for a reason,....

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    Back in the day 40 - 45 years ago it was OK in my mom's eyes for school teachers, aunts, grand moms or friends mom's to spank if I was out of line.
    Yup. That's no so many years distant, but it was literally a different world ... when some folks recognized responsibility and appropriate behavior, when taking charge meant that reasonable steps were taken by whomever needed to get the job done. Those were the days. Today, the Founders would be utterly lost.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The judge needs to lock his egg suckin face in jail for a long long time.

while the parent has obvious issues, hitting a child is not an option. And Hitting is far from discipline.

Wow some members here are becoming bitter OMO of course.
    But who knows why the child was crying, and I assure you spanking a crying child is not gonna make em stop lol.

I've never laid a hand on any of my children and none of them act up.
    Violence to your kids begets violence from the kids and the cycle continues.

Of course I spend my time with them they are 1,3 and 9 all boys, and none of them hide anything from me nor lie about things.
    The oldest is as open as can be with me, even some incidence in school that the principle should have called about (but didn't) he told me of course.
    Ah well I'm off post track now. Sorry ;)

Oh and yea that dude would have been shut down as soon as he remarked that.
    I am well respected in the community with Police as well as serve as Fire Chief (and I believe they don't want to shoot me lol)

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    Wow some members here are becoming bitter OMO of course.
    But who knows why the child was crying, and I assure you spanking a crying child is not gonna make em stop lol.

I've never laid a hand on any of my children and none of them act up.
    Violence to your kids begets violence from the kids and the cycle continues.

Of course I spend my time with them they are 1,3 and 9 all boys, and none of them hide anything from me nor lie about things.
    The oldest is as open as can be with me, even some incidence in school that the principle should have called about (but didn't) he told me of course.
    Ah well I'm off post track now. Sorry ;)

Oh and yea that dude would have been shut down as soon as he remarked that.
    I am well respected in the community with Police as well as serve as Fire Chief (and I believe they don't want to shoot me lol)
    Let me start by saying as a 52 year old who raised 4 children I rarely spanked them, But did at times, as a child My father, rest his soul beat the hell out of me Many, many times, im not talking about spankings im talking backhands and closed fist, now that being said I say BS to the notion that if you are beat as a kid you will beat your kids, I learned that a spanking will work when they are young but my children were raised to respect their elders and people of authority, and they all have done well in adulthood so far, There is NEVER a reason to let your child act up at home or in public and any parent with any sense would respect everyone else in earshot and handle the situation with their unruly child, It should NEVER get so bad as a stranger has to come and tell you to shut your kid up, PERIOD

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Big C View Post
    This guy had such anger in him that he slapped a child he didn't even know. He should be thrown in jail for a long time. He really has a problem.
    That was my second thought.

My first thought was: had someone tried to do that to my child, let alone succeeded in slapping him, they might end up in jail if they were LUCKY.

After they got out of the hospital.

IF they woke up from that coma.

You DO NOT EVER ASSAULT A CHILD. (That was assault, Mom spanking you is different) Especially one you don't know. ESPECIALLY MINE.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Personally, I would have broken that guy's face in. And that's no idle threat.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Administrator
    Well, he is being charged with a felony. Hopefully he will do some Graybar Institute time and there will be plenty of folks behind bars that will enjoy slapping him around.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links