Walmart shopper slaps crying child?

This is a discussion on Walmart shopper slaps crying child? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Defensive Arms The guy who slapped the child is a sleazeball, but his crime doesn't warrant execution via vigilantism. The child's life ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 91

Thread: Walmart shopper slaps crying child?

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    The guy who slapped the child is a sleazeball, but his crime doesn't warrant execution via vigilantism.

    The child's life wasn't in danger, so deadly force wasn't justified. The mother did exactly the right thing by calling the police.

    I think ninety days in jail, a couple hundred hours of community service, and mandatory anger management classes would suffice as punishment.
    .
    In this case deadly force probably wouldn't be justified however anytime I see a brute like that assaulting my 2 year old child I have no idea at the moment what his intentions are. He would be making a move like that at considerable risk to himself. As for ninety days in jail and some anger management as sufficient punishment, you are much more forgiving than I.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #62
    Senior Member Array RemMod597's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    behind you...
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Hmm, I wonder how much flack I’ll catch from this… Ok, I can’t resist: I would never touch someone else’s child in this manner, although I have sure felt like it! I recall dating this really, really nice gal, but her children were soOoo poorly behaved that I lost respect for her, so that relationship became history.
    Regards,
    Yep, been there and done that!


    The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

  4. #63
    Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - LKN
    Posts
    1,384
    I don't think it matters WHY this kid was crying or HOW her mother's parenting skills pan out. A grown man hit a 2 year old child. He wasn't defending himself from her, she wasn't some tiny, toddler-rambo, threatening him physical harm. There is no good reason for him to have hit her. Period. No matter what the motivation, it was not justified. He should definitely do time. You can't just fly off the handle like that because a kid is making noise.

    PERHAPS if she was throwing a tantrum, he mother should have removed her from the store.

    MORE LIKELY if he was freaking out over a small child, HE SHOULD HAVE REMOVED HIMSELF from the store.

    Problem solved. It never needed to escalate into the situation at hand.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.


    Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

    www.vanguardnc.com

  5. #64
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644

  6. #65
    Member Array Holger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I don't think it matters WHY this kid was crying or HOW her mother's parenting skills pan out. A grown man hit a 2 year old child. He wasn't defending himself from her, she wasn't some tiny, toddler-rambo, threatening him physical harm. There is no good reason for him to have hit her. Period. No matter what the motivation, it was not justified. He should definitely do time. You can't just fly off the handle like that because a kid is making noise.

    PERHAPS if she was throwing a tantrum, he mother should have removed her from the store.

    MORE LIKELY if he was freaking out over a small child, HE SHOULD HAVE REMOVED HIMSELF from the store.

    Problem solved. It never needed to escalate into the situation at hand.
    I agree. I think there are alot of people here who forgot what it was like when their kid was two. I think some are "misremembering" how they brought up their kids. Seems like there are alot of "well, MY kid never did that at two, MY kid was well-behaved, I NEVER allowed those types of tantrums, yada yada yada."

    Y'all are full of it. My son is two and change. My niece is two. My best friends kid just turned three. My other best friend has a four year old and a two year old. They all act up at one time or another, often for reasons known only to them. A two year old with an earache who has no clue how to tell you he has one is going to be hyper-pissed. He's not going to say "Dad, I have an earache...I'm in some pain, but I'll just sit here quietly because I know you're going to Walmart to get me some ear drops. Thank you, sir."

    For whatever reason, this kid acted up at Walmart. She had an excuse...she's freaking two. For whatever reason, this man acted up at Walmart. He has no excuse.

    Yes, I discipline my kid, no I don't hit him, yes he's pretty good most of the time, and yes, he can meltdown in public, and yes, I usually remove him from the situation. However, ff y'all see a mother dealing with a screaming toddler in public, give her a break. If she's like 99% of mothers, she's more stressed out about it than you and she's probably doing the best she can.

  7. #66
    Member Array socal2310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    I agree. I think there are alot of people here who forgot what it was like when their kid was two. I think some are "misremembering" how they brought up their kids. Seems like there are alot of "well, MY kid never did that at two, MY kid was well-behaved, I NEVER allowed those types of tantrums, yada yada yada."

    Y'all are full of it. My son is two and change. My niece is two. My best friends kid just turned three. My other best friend has a four year old and a two year old. They all act up at one time or another, often for reasons known only to them. A two year old with an earache who has no clue how to tell you he has one is going to be hyper-pissed. He's not going to say "Dad, I have an earache...I'm in some pain, but I'll just sit here quietly because I know you're going to Walmart to get me some ear drops. Thank you, sir."
    I have six kids ranging in age from two and a half to fourteen. I have NEVER tolerated tantrums from them in public or otherwise. Granted, fussy children (not feeling well or otherwise up on the wrong side of the bed) are kept home even if it means some inconvenience to the rest of us.

    That said, some people have a higher threshold of tolerance for that behavior and most kids will grow out of it anyway. I also know that in my experience, it's almost impossible to nip in the bud if only the mother is dealing with discipline.

    Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

  8. #67
    Senior Member Array TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stuck In The 1970's
    Posts
    915
    Posted earlier: "deadly force probably wouldn't be justified"

    I disagree strongly with that statement!

    You don't know what anyone's intentions are and wouldn't disparity of force apply here? My god he could have severely injured a small child or worse broken there neck in a fit of uncontrollable rage! Like I said you don't know how far the scumbag is out of control and what the outcome may unfold.

    Stop the threat anyway possible and tell it to a jury later... if need be.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

  9. #68
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I don't think it matters WHY this kid was crying or HOW her mother's parenting skills pan out. A grown man hit a 2 year old child. He wasn't defending himself from her, she wasn't some tiny, toddler-rambo, threatening him physical harm. There is no good reason for him to have hit her. Period. No matter what the motivation, it was not justified. He should definitely do time. You can't just fly off the handle like that because a kid is making noise.

    PERHAPS if she was throwing a tantrum, he mother should have removed her from the store.

    MORE LIKELY if he was freaking out over a small child, HE SHOULD HAVE REMOVED HIMSELF from the store.

    Problem solved. It never needed to escalate into the situation at hand.
    No "PERHAPS" to it.

    If your kid goes into a screaming tantrum and won't stop, you are OBLIGATED to remove your child from the store.

    It wouldn't have escalated to what it did, if the mother had controlled her child.

    The dirtbag who slapped the child is obviously not well mentally. You cannot ASSUME that "he should've know better" than to slap the child, since he obviously has substantive anger management issues.

    The mother is definitely a "condition white" individual, but is hopefully now aware that there are people in society who aren't coping too well emotionally, and will keep that in mind next time her child starts screaming and carrying on in public.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  10. #69
    Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - LKN
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    No "PERHAPS" to it.

    If your kid goes into a screaming tantrum and won't stop, you are OBLIGATED to remove your child from the store.
    Well, that's certainly what polite society and common courtesy dictate, but is that store policy? Local law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    It wouldn't have escalated to what it did, if the mother had controlled her child.
    You're 100% correct. But remember, we don't know how long the kid was crying or why. As another poster put it, she may have had an earache and Mom was trying to get her some ear drops, or maybe trying to fill the Rx for it, we don't know.

    If not the crying child, what then? Punch some old man for taking too long to select a can of soup? This guy has some major issues with self-control.

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    The dirtbag who slapped the child is obviously not well mentally. You cannot ASSUME that "he should've know better" than to slap the child, since he obviously has substantive anger management issues.

    The mother is definitely a "condition white" individual, but is hopefully now aware that there are people in society who aren't coping too well emotionally, and will keep that in mind next time her child starts screaming and carrying on in public.
    I'd take even money he DID know better, he just didn't care. Unless he was a mental defective or raised by wolves. And even wolves have a social structure in order about who disciplines the pups.

    Agreed about the mother. Maybe now she'll be a little more aware. I was aghast that she "screamed and called for security." The majority of moms I know wouldn't have wasted their breath and knocked the guy out with a solid right hook.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.


    Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

    www.vanguardnc.com

  11. #70
    Member Array Holger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    No "PERHAPS" to it.

    If your kid goes into a screaming tantrum and won't stop, you are OBLIGATED to remove your child from the store.

    It wouldn't have escalated to what it did, if the mother had controlled her child.
    BS. There is a difference between what Mom should do and what she's "obligated" to do. If no law is being broken, nobody is obligated to stop annoying you. It annoys me to no end when people talk in a movie theater, but I can't start slapping the hell out of 'em.

    As for the last statement, that's even a bigger load of BS. You are 100% blaming the victim. It wouldn't have escalated if the 61 yr old POS would've controlled HIMSELF.

  12. #71
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    BS. There is a difference between what Mom should do and what she's "obligated" to do. If no law is being broken, nobody is obligated to stop annoying you. It annoys me to no end when people talk in a movie theater, but I can't start slapping the hell out of 'em.
    ^WRONG.

    A child engaging in a prolonged screaming tantrum is DISTURBING THE PEACE, and it IS a violation of the law.

    And being that I've personally witnessed tantrums like this in public places too many times to count, I know bloody well that it happens frequently throughout the country.

    Spoiled kids raised by clueless parents is the basis of the problem.

    As for the last statement, that's even a bigger load of BS. You are 100% blaming the victim. It wouldn't have escalated if the 61 yr old POS would've controlled HIMSELF.
    Watch your language, youngster.

    You're apparently a "condition white" individual yourself. It's obvious to the discerning mind that the scumbag has substantive mental issues, thus cannot be relied upon to control himself.

    That's the same reason I don't go around flipping people off in traffic if they cut me off or something, because there are MANY people out there who have self-control problems, as evidenced by the THOUSANDS of violent "road rage" incidents that occur every year in this country.

    Part of being an aware and alert concealed firearms carrier includes doing whatever possible to avoid angering people, because you just don't know how a lot of people in this society are going to react any more.

    It's well past time that people stop being "condition white" individuals, and start controlling their children in public places. I will give the mother credit for handling the situation properly AFTER THE FACT, by calling the police.

    And the people in this thread who suggested that the guilty party be shot should be ashamed of themselves, because they quite obviously have no more mental self-control than he does.

    A concealed carry permit isn't a police badge, nor does it give you the right to play vigilante and dispense instant "frontier justice".
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  13. #72
    VIP Member Array Spirit51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    2,248
    I believe if the child was that big a disruption then the mother should have been smart enough to take the child out to her car for some well deserved discipline and time out. If done right...shouldn't take long. When the child started behaving then she could have continued her shopping trip.

    The mother should have addressed his initial threat with one of her own. This would have let him know that it doesn't take a village to raise HER child and certainly NOT the village idiot.

    If it had been my child that got slapped....there would have been a clean up of his teeth off the floor and a extraction of my foot from his A$$.
    No one has a right to lay hands on a strangers young child. What if the child WAS in pain from a ear ache or diaper rash? Unless you have responsibility and control of a child...physical discipline is not your job.
    I knew better than to do it....my daughter knew better than to do it....and my grand daughter knows better than to do it to me. You just have to let a kid now what the limits are and at two years old...it is not too early.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

  14. #73
    VIP Member Array Spirit51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    I have six kids ranging in age from two and a half to fourteen. I have NEVER tolerated tantrums from them in public or otherwise. Granted, fussy children (not feeling well or otherwise up on the wrong side of the bed) are kept home even if it means some inconvenience to the rest of us.

    That said, some people have a higher threshold of tolerance for that behavior and most kids will grow out of it anyway. I also know that in my experience, it's almost impossible to nip in the bud if only the mother is dealing with discipline.

    Ryan
    Same here. My parents didn't tolerate it at any age...we didn't do it.

    I never tolerated it from my daughter at any age. Couple of trips to the car made sure she never did it again.

    My grand daughter has not even needed a trip to the car and I took care of her lots when she was two and younger because her mom was in school. She is 7 now and I have never even had to take her out to the car.

    Holger, Don't tell me that I LIE. I don't need to. Too bad you haven't had the same control over your child or your friends over their children that several of us have.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

  15. #74
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    The mother should have addressed his initial threat with one of her own. This would have let him know that it doesn't take a village to raise HER child and certainly NOT the village idiot.
    Beside the fact the mother didn't remove her child from the store, I thought she handled the rest of the situation just fine.

    She screamed after the scumbag struck her child, which most certainly drew the attention of other store patrons and employees. Drawing attention is good.

    She also called the police, which was definitely the best course of action. If she had attempted to initiate a physical confrontation with the perpetrator, she may very well have gotten badly beaten up.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  16. #75
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    No one has a right to lay hands on a strangers young child. What if the child WAS in pain from a ear ache or diaper rash? Unless you have responsibility and control of a child...physical discipline is not your job.
    Nobody in this thread is disputing that.

    If I were the judge in the case---the perpetrator would be given jail time, followed by community service and anger management classes.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Woman slaps Police horse
    By SIGP250 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: January 30th, 2011, 04:36 PM
  2. Sleepless Night: Crying Kid
    By Hkchris in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
  3. Gun-Toting Homeowner: 'Shut Up -- No Crying'
    By 376matt in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: July 5th, 2010, 11:08 PM
  4. Walmart Shopper Attacked in Utah
    By Rcher in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: January 1st, 2010, 06:51 AM
  5. State of NE slaps hands of local cities!!!!
    By SleepingZ in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: May 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Search tags for this page

sitter slaps baby north carolina news

,

ugly crying child

Click on a term to search for related topics.