Police Getting Guns Off the Street!

Police Getting Guns Off the Street!

This is a discussion on Police Getting Guns Off the Street! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police removing guns from city streets Posted: Sep 01, 2009 7:40 PM EDT 9/01/09FORT MYERS: The Fort Myers Police Department is cracking down on people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Police Getting Guns Off the Street!

Police removing guns from city streets
    Posted: Sep 01, 2009 7:40 PM EDT

9/01/09FORT MYERS: The Fort Myers Police Department is cracking down on people who illegally carry guns. We got to take a ride with police Tuesday night as they worked the rid the streets of more guns.

Fort Myers Police Sergeant Rick Notaro explained Operation Safe Neighborhood is a proactive approach to reducing crime and improving the quality of life in the Fort Myers.

We hit the streets with him at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday and he said his mission is simply to make the city he patrols safer.

"Right now, our unit is called the violent crimes task force," he said. "We're doing traffic enforcement and what we're also trying to do is stop the violence in the street."

The goal of the operation is to identify and arrest people that commit violent crimes and to arrest those who have guns illegally.

Notaro and his units focus on the high crime areas of the City of Palms. Tuesday, the officers pulled a teen over for a traffic violation. But it was more than a traffic stop.

"We'll make sure, obviously, we have a reason to stop them and then we'll see if we can see if we can find guns on the streets or drugs on the street," Notaro said.

During that stop, no drugs or guns were found so the teen just got a ticket.

And though no guns were found during the second stop of the night, officers did find guns and drugs inside a car so they made an arrest.

Fort Myers Police Chief Doug Baker unveiled the operation to several community leaders last year and says the anti-crime effort couldn't be possible without a partnership with the community.

"The unit is enhanced by intelligence information from concerned citizens and informants. Tipsters can remain anonymous. Every illegal gun taken off our streets is one less gun that can be used against an innocent citizen, gun down an officer or carelessly end up in the hands of a child," he said.

So far, police have removed 249-guns from city streets this year. But Notaro says his mission is far from over.

"It's not going away. We're going to keep doing it and keep taking the guns off the street," he said.

Officers removed 36 guns from city streets in August alone.

We need more of this in every community!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    We need more of this in every community!
    I hope that is sarcasm. Regardless of how noble the intentions are, I don't like the idea of cops giving a full search of any vehicle they wish and any building where they got an "anonymous" tip based on nothing more than looking for "illegal" guns.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The only problem I see is just what do they consider an illegal gun? In some locals the local cops believe any gun not on their hips is illegal. Hope these guys know the difference.

cj
    Well, if they're actually enforcing the proper gun laws, it should be a good thing. But I wonder about the true agenda since that doesn't seem to be a priority relative to just creating new ones!

Besides, the street is a bad place for a gun. It might get scratched up.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    I hope that is sarcasm. Regardless of how noble the intentions are, I don't like the idea of cops giving a full search of any vehicle they wish and any building where they got an "anonymous" tip based on nothing more than looking for "illegal" guns.
    In all due respect, I think you are reading your own into the story. Nowhere does it say they use the "tips" as a means to show up and search. It says the tip intelligence enhances their efforts. It also clearly says the make sure they have a reason for the stop and that it is conducted in high crime areas.

I prefer this method over the cities using payments to entice guns be turned in, only to have the same individuals go out and buy another quite possibly with the "reward" money.

Just my 2 cents.

How else do you expect them use to use tips if not by going out and searching up on them? In essence it is giving them the authority to search anything they want by claiming an anonymous tip told them that X homeowner had a weapon stash.

We'll make sure, obviously, we have a reason to stop them
    Which comes first? The search or the reason to stop them? Far to close to checkpoints for my taste.

I support these efforts as long as they are doing this in a manner that will stand up in court.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

As long as they would not mess with my leagally owned firearms,But I dont plan on going down that far,don't speek spanish ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

At least it's not a gun 'buy back'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So far, police have removed 249-guns from city streets this year. But Notaro says his mission is far from over.

"It's not going away. We're going to keep doing it and keep taking the guns off the street," he said.
    The "net" number cannot be known, but I would bet it's entirely likely there was a net positive uptick in the number of guns on the streets in that town, since then. Taking out the guns as they're found on a one-by-one basis is a lot like taking out the drug dealers who are peddling "dime" bags: there are a dozen to fill the spot once that one's removed.

Admirable effort, but so long as there are criminals around then there will be plenty of weapons on the street for them to find.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I think we all know that few crimes are ever committed by CHL holders. We all also know that most crime committed with the use of a gun is done with guns illegally possessed either because they were stolen, purchased or otherwise obtained in an illegal manner, or are in the hands of someone with priors or someone who is under age.

I am all for removing from the streets those who illegally possess weapons.
    They are each a walking ticking time bomb of violent crime.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post

And though no guns were found during the second stop of the night, officers did find guns and drugs inside a car so they made an arrest.
    Are they implying that a gun was planted by the officers or is this just another example of the unbelievable state of journalism today?
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    Are they implying that a gun was planted by the officers or is this just another example of the unbelievable state of journalism today?
    Horrible journalism. I think they mean that they found at least one car that night with guns and drugs.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I know the officer in the article. Great guy. The Ft. Myers guys have their hands full, that's for sure. Now if they would just keep their scum on that side of the river . . .
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

How else do you expect them use to use tips if not by going out and searching up on them? In essence it is giving them the authority to search anything they want by claiming an anonymous tip told them that X homeowner had a weapon stash.
    An anonymous tip by itself is never sufficient probable cause for a judge to issue a search warrant, and you'll rarely find a judge that would do that as the case would get dropped due to the exclusionary rule. Any defense lawyer would love to eat that up. An anonymous tip in addition to other supporting testimony and/or evidence would be needed.

Don't believe what you see in the movies/tv, it seems this is where you get that idea from.

Which comes first? The search or the reason to stop them? Far to close to checkpoints for my taste.
    Of course the reason to make the stop comes first. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links