Good & Bad -- Two Letters to Editor

This is a discussion on Good & Bad -- Two Letters to Editor within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Roanoke, Va Carrying concealed weapons decreases crime rates - Roanoke.com Carrying concealed weapons decreases crime rates Re: "Would more guns solve the gun problem?" Aug. ...

Thread: Good & Bad -- Two Letters to Editor

VIP Member

Roanoke, Va

Carrying concealed weapons decreases crime rates - Roanoke.com

Carrying concealed weapons decreases crime rates

Re: "Would more guns solve the gun problem?" Aug. 16 letter:

Bob Willis' pitiful attempt to poke fun at the people who have the right to carry a concealed weapon clearly shows that he is no comedian. The screening process for such a license results in only law-abiding citizens receiving them. The crime rate is almost zero for this group.

The ones to fear are the criminals who misuse guns, just as the people who drive drunk misuse motor vehicles. The government-run news media would proclaim it to high heaven if someone with the right to carry a concealed weapon misused that responsibility.

The answer to Willis' question is, yes. In every locality where the right to carry a concealed weapon has been tried, crime has decreased. Willis should read the excellent book "More Guns, Less Crime."

Liberals make a big to-do about tax tea parties and town hall meetings over Obama Care bringing out crowds of angry people. If liberals keep trying to take away our Second Amendment rights, guaranteed by the Constitution, they have not seen the scope of the protests it will cause.

GLENN WATSON
    MAX MEADOWS

Good to know about lax gun laws

Thank you for having the guts to publish Dan Casey's column, "Getting permit was the easy part," on Aug. 30. I had no idea that our gun laws were so lax, and I, for one, really appreciate your paper opening our eyes to this.

Again, thank you, Roanoke Times, for publishing Casey's article on concealed weapons.

SUSAN WOODS
    ROANOKE
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Here is the original letter for the 1st response.

Would more guns solve the gun problem? - Roanoke.com

Would more guns solve the gun problem?

The online gun merchant who sold weapons to Virginia Tech's mass killer and to an Illinois campus murderer also sold gun accessories to George Sodini, who killed three people and wounded nine at a Pittsburgh-area health club.

The merchant, Eric Thompson of Green Bay, Wis., shows no compunction; people like Sodini, he says, could get weapons lots of other places, such as stores like Kmart. In short, everybody does it, and because everybody does it, there's no need for anybody to stop doing it.

Thompson also said in a newspaper interview that Sodini's attack shows police are too slow to respond to emergencies and underscores the need for people to protect themselves.

OK, gym rats, time to strap on a piece during your workout in case another madman enters; Thompson will sell you a weapon. Mightn't hurt to pack some heat, too, at the shopping mall, in a restaurant, on your evening stroll or even in church. Got to protect yourselves.

Against whom? Why, against all those other folks who bear arms. To gun people, if there's any problem with guns, the answer always is more guns. Think. Does this lead us anywhere good?

This isn't about so called "lax" law pertaining to getting concealed permit, it is plain old fearmongering from someone on the Brady Campaign payroll. It's quite obvious that the writer of the article has no intention of obtaining and using the permit for what the real and true use would be. He is trying to point out the Brady-side of the issue and that we'd all be better off surrendering our guns and permits, because we will be safer to do so. His comical attempt at showing the apparent "ease" of obtaining a permit will ultimately scare off some individuals who want a permit, but were feeling a bit timid to do so. He needs a new occupation. His comic skills are lacking and would be best left to the professionals. Same as getting a CC permit, the laws and rules are designed by professionals to allow LAW abiding citizens to have them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links