Article on carry permits

Article on carry permits

This is a discussion on Article on carry permits within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted this link before but didnt start a thread about it until now. Please share any thoughts CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS: DON'T GET SUCKERED : ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article on carry permits

Pretty twisted take by that author. Because we have a permit, we have placed ourselves on the bad list--police officers, who pull us over for not wearing a seat-belt, will draw their weapons and shoot us in the head. Bologna!

I can see some points by the author
    regarding permits. Shouldnt really be
    permits to begin with really. Think the
    2nd amendment covered that issue yet
    permit holders are tagged and put into all
    sorts of databases.

This author does raise some points that I find hard to accept. The first point is that, (I'll paraphrase) "Your chances of being killed by the police during a routine traffic stop,...are multiplied." This is a valid point to a degree.

What permit holder would be stupid enough to act in such a manner? If anything, the average permit holder would act that much more responsibly during a routine traffic stop all the same.

The next statement that having a permit, "The permit that allows you to be armed also announces to the world," sounds as if he's saying the "average" person can tell we have a carry permit.

How can the "average person" know if we have a permit? The last time I checked I don't see any markings, special characters, etc. on my truck registration. The only way the average person will know if I have a permit is if that person is a LEO type person. This is not the regular person I think this author is suggesting. I suspect he means the average citizen who is not a LEO.

The next portion of the article I find somewhat skeptical at best. Now we as permit holders are now "profiled". This is the first time I've read anything like this before.

The next part when we travel by air is a little odd. Somehow when our airline tickets or passport are scanned that lets the TSA know we have a carry permit. I'll give that one a "maybe."

I could go on but this article has we wondering what his mindset is about the average person obtaining a carry permit. Maybe he's trying to dissuade any potential applicants to reconsider doing so after having read this article.

Well, that's a few of my thoughts on this odd article.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; September 5th, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

The permit that allows you to be armed also announces to the world, a world that can access anything about you from a license number read by one of the thousands of special cameras around the country, that you are a potential danger to yourself and others.
    wow, that must be one of those new super cameras that the X-Men gave us. i better go line my CHL with lead plate right now so its not broadcast back to some secret location!!!!....man, whats with this guy? too much coffee or is he even on our side at all.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

the below is a reply this guy got from a LEO;

Sorry,

As a police officer I met many persons licensed to carry. I encouraged those who were not licensed (victims of crime) to become licensed. I am retired now and I am licensed as I am not in the same state from which I retired, even though Texas recognizes my retirement credentials. I don't know where you got your information, but the line police officers, are just like you and me, they don't like big brother either and they are not the "big brother" for which you need worry!!
    i just noticed this was written in Feb. 09 six months ago.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

The author has too much mercury in his fillings; I bet he thinks we blew up our own twin towers too..
    John Luttrell

I don't believe this article, nor do I believe conspiracy theories in general. I don't think that gun owners are being "profiled" and I think most cops are decent and intelligent. I think that gun owners acting paranoid and posturing does not do much good for second amendment rights; in fact, it makes us all look like wingnuts. We should present ourselves at all times as level headed. Enough.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    I don't believe this article, nor do I believe conspiracy theories in general. I don't think that gun owners are being "profiled" and I think most cops are decent and intelligent. I think that gun owners acting paranoid and posturing does not do much good for second amendment rights; in fact, it makes us all look like wingnuts. We should present ourselves at all times as level headed. Enough.
    I have to agree, this article seems to be written by someone that is trying to persuade people not to goet permitted. I hvae been pulled over at least three times, and hvaen't been drawn on or shot, at least I don't think I hvae!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS: DON'T GET SUCKERED
    Posted on February 21, 2009 by gordonduff
    WANT TO BE ON A "DANGEROUS GUN NUT" LIST?

GET A CARRY PERMIT

By Gordon Duff STAFF WRITER

"Millions of Americans, in response to what they thought were new "liberal" gun laws allowing concealed carry permits in many states have signed up for expensive gun classes, filled out forms and believe they have joined a special group of responsible gun owners who have proven themselves worthy. They couldn't be more wrong.

Though the Obama administration has suggested no new gun laws, lobbyists for insurance companies and "microengravers" who can mark ammunition have had new gun laws introduced as a means of financial gains for their companies. These laws appear to be both restrictive, unenforceable and probably illegal by current constitutional standards. However, we have already done more damage "giving" rights than taking them away.

Did you know that police, reading your license plate, know you have a weapons permit? Did you also know that, in most cases, you are approached with weapons "at the ready" and backup on the way even though you were only trying to be a good citizen?

Your chances of being killed by police during a routine traffic stop, even if you are a grandmother, retired nurse, teacher or CIA agent (as in Houston) are multiplied. The permit that allows you to be armed also announces to the world, a world that can access anything about you from a license number read by one of the thousands of special cameras around the country, that you are a potential danger to yourself and others.

People who apply for carry permits are profiled and categorized as potentially belligerent, troublesome and aggressive.

When you go to an airport, a record of your carry permit is seen when your ticket or passport is scanned. Homeland Security and the TSA know you own and often carry guns.

When you drive to an airport to pick someone up, and you have a gun in the car that you believe is legal, you may be violating the law. Many airports, college campuses, shopping centers and other facilities are "weapons free" zones and if they don't have cameras yet that can scan for gun owners, they will soon. Business will always fill a need and police always look for confrontations whenever possible. Anyone who doubts that is nuts. (written by a former cop)

Your next adventure, if you live in the northern part of the country is the Canadian border. We give all records, criminal, medical, credit, driving, insurance to the Canadian government and those are read and brought up on a screen as you approach customs.

Unpaid parking tickets can get you turned back at the border. What do you think the chances of having the seats torn out of your car are if you have a weapons permit?

The next best thing you can do to yourself other than apply for the "No Fly List" or join a terrorist organization is to announce to the world that you feel a need to carry a concealed weapon.

Here in Ohio, business after business have "no guns allowed" signs at the door. Anyone who thinks police will feel better stopping a car with an armed occupant simply because the driver has proven they can hit what they shoot at and take their gun apart is nuts.

The gun control you all feared started with the full support of the NRA, police associations, sportsmen clubs, gun stores and gun owners who only wanted to establish their rights to protect themselves.

What they may get is a bullet in the back for failing to wear a seatbelt.

And so it goes..."

Gordon Duff is a Marine combat vet and regular contributor on political and social issues.
    Umm, no.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

What a bunch of goat droppings. If you have a carry permit, you do indeed fit a 'profile': you aren't a felon, you aren't abusing drugs and alcohol, and you don't beat your wife. So immediately they know you aren't a Hollywood celebrity, a rock star, or a congressman.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

His theories did seem a little out their.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

My favorite line from the article
    ....probably illegal by current constitutional standards.

WHAT??

"Did you know that police, reading your license plate, know you have a weapons permit?"

That may be true in some states, but it's doubtful for the majority of states and definitely not true in states where I hold carry permits. The author has proclaimed his ignorance by making such an unfounded generalization.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links