GOOD: Man Won't Be Charged In SD Shooting - Sacramento, KA

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man Won't Be Charged In SD Shooting - Sacramento, KA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Authorities say shooting of three was self-defense - San Jose Mercury News SACRAMENTO, Calif.—Authorities say a man who shot and killed two men and wounded ...

Thread: GOOD: Man Won't Be Charged In SD Shooting - Sacramento, KA

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Man Won't Be Charged In SD Shooting - Sacramento, KA

Authorities say shooting of three was self-defense - San Jose Mercury News

SACRAMENTO, Calif.—Authorities say a man who shot and killed two men and wounded another in a Sacramento apartment early Monday was acting in self-defense.

Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran says authorities declined to arrest the 26-year-old man after witnesses reported that the three men confronted the man outside his apartment, then broke in and continued the attack after he had retreated inside.

Investigators say during the attack, the man retrieved a handgun and shot all three attackers.

Two of the attackers died at the scene. The third, a 23-year-old, was taken to a hospital. He is expected to survive.

Curran says the district attorney's office will make a final decision on whether to file charges against the resident of the apartment.
    Good news, at least some parts of Kali understand, maybe.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

100% hits - awesome shooting! I'd love to get the details on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Good news, at least some parts of Kali understand, maybe.
    Agreed that it's good news.

I think what public officials are starting to understand, is that the American people are completely fed up with the high number of violent crimes in this country, and will simply no longer tolerate the judicial system prosecuting people for legitimately defending themselves.

Every state in the nation needs to pass strong castle laws that establish a person's unequivocal right to armed self-defense, whether they be in their homes, their vehicles, a motel room etc.---and which prevent criminals and their families from bringing civil suits against people who were acting in self-defense.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Every state in the nation needs to pass strong castle laws that establish a person's unequivocal right to armed self-defense, whether they be in their homes, their vehicles, a motel room etc.---and which prevent criminals and their families from bringing civil suits against people who were acting in self-defense.
    I agree 100%, and have been corresponding with my state rep on this matter. Here is an e-mail I just fired off to him. He is a Democrat, but he does seem to have a fairly level head on his shoulders about gun laws.

Rep. Reynolds,

We have communicated several times discussing CT’s self defense laws. In one e-mail, I asked you about possibly introducing a bill to add protection from civil liability in a justified self-defense shooting. You replied that you would look into the matter, and even had some research done on so-called ‘Castle Laws’. I am wondering if you have come to a conclusion on this matter? I know that I, and many others, do not like the idea of possibly losing my home and all that I have worked to defend myself from a wrongful death suit after such a shooting was ruled to be justified.

Everyone has heard of the tragedy that befell Dr. Petit in Cheshire, but there have been several recent home invasions in Southeastern CT as well:

- Jan 2008: Elderly Stonington couple let someone in their home (saying he had to use the bathroom), and were then beaten and robbed. Criminals Caught in Stonington, Connecticut Home Invasion - Associated Content
    - April 2008: Elderly Groton man fatally stabbed by neighbor during home invasion. Suspect arraigned in Groton homicide - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin
    - January 2009: Home Invasion/Stabbing in Ledyard. DPS: State Police SEEK SUSPECT IN HOME INVASION/STABBING
    - February 2009: Home Invasion in Ledyard leads to standoff. Ledyard, CT - Official Website - February 2009
    - May 2009: Norwich man shot during home invasion. Suspect in home invasion surrenders to Norwich police - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin
    - May 2009: Groton couple attacked during home invasion. Groton couple attacked in home invasion | WTNH.com

Here is an article where a San Marcos, Texas man defended himself from 4 armed teenaged home invaders: Police: 2 teens killed trying to break into home | AP Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
    Texas does have a ‘Castle Law’ in place, so as long as this shooting is ruled justified, which it most certainly will be, then the homeowner can rest assured that he won’t be facing tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to defend himself from a wrongful death suit. I would like to have the same protection under the law here in Connecticut.

It is undeniable that home invasions are on the rise, and many times they are violent, even when the victims fully comply with the demands of the invaders.

I look forward to hearing from you, and please feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this matter further, either via phone, e-mail, or in person.

Sincerely,

CT-Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I agree 100%, and have been corresponding with my state rep on this matter. Here is an e-mail I just fired off to him. He is a Democrat, but he does seem to have a fairly level head on his shoulders about gun laws.
    Good for you, Mike!

Job well done!

I'm skeptical that most politicians, especially Democrats, are actually convinced of the righteousness of our cause.

IMHO, they've simply realized that the public will no longer tolerate innocent people being prosecuted for defending themselves against violent thugs.

The politicians are starting to figure out that prosecuting innocents has become a political liability in many states, and they don't want to have a reputation of being soft on criminals when the next election rolls around.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Well,

I received a reply today from my local state representative to the letter I sent above:

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx:
    Thank you for writing and for your patience in my responding. The new session starts in January. In the interim, I will share my research with the CT Sportsmen's Association and the House Chair of the Judiciary Committee to get some different perspectives on this issue. I am still open to trying to find some reasonable and balanced approach to this issue. You are right that recent incidents raise the urgency of the issue. Thanks again.
    Rep. Reynolds.
    Hopefully he actually is going to look into this, and this isn't just a boilerplate response to appease me.

- Thomas Jefferson

Links