YEP: I Shot And Killed A Man In The Basement - Chicago, IL

This is a discussion on YEP: I Shot And Killed A Man In The Basement - Chicago, IL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man: 'Yep, I shot and killed a man in the basement' :: The SouthtownStar :: News A 59-year-old man admitted to police he fatally shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YEP: I Shot And Killed A Man In The Basement - Chicago, IL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man: 'Yep, I shot and killed a man in the basement' :: The SouthtownStar :: News

A 59-year-old man admitted to police he fatally shot man who held a knife to his throat and tried to rob him Wednesday morning in Chicago's Englewood community.

Maurice Willis, 36, was found in a trashcan at 1244 W. 61st St., the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Police said they responded to the 1200 block of West 61st about 9:30 a.m., where the victim was found dead with multiple gunshot wounds.

Officers on patrol were flagged down by a person who said a man sitting on the porch at 1244 W. 61st St. just killed a man at that address.

An officer approached the man on the porch and the man allegedly said, “Yep, I shot and killed a man in the basement,” according to police.

The man and the officer entered the basement apartment where the 59-year-old showed the officer the weapon he allegedly used, a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver, and the dead man, who had multiple gunshot wounds to his face and chest and was sticking halfway out of a city garbage can.

The man also told police the incident began when he was entering his basement apartment and Willis ran up behind him and held a knife to his throat.

The arrestee said words to the effect of, “OK, don’t hurt me, I got money here in the mattress,” according to police, who said when he went to the mattress he produced the revolver and shot Willis.

Police said he apparently panicked and tried to hide the body in the bin, which he planned on rolling back out into the alley. Police said the incident may be reclassified to self-defense.

Wentworth Area detectives are investigating.
    Bad move to try and hide the body, but hopefully the most serious charge he faces involves evidence tampering.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

If he doesn't get gigged in Chicago, it'll be a small miracle.

Another case of possibly turning an otherwise justifiable self defense shooting into a crime by actions taken after the fact!

It sure is better to think things through and know the laws beforehand than to try and fly by the seat of your pants after the fact!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

well he did it!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I love that he put the trash where it belonged though.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I love that he put the trash where it belonged though.
    +100 Bunny.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Good one Bunny! Lets hope his story is true and it sticks.
    Jamie

Since this incident occurred in a rabidly anti-gun city and state, we can consider it a significant victory if this guy doesn't get charged.

As others have mentioned however, it's definitely not good that he failed to contact the police.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Notice how the robber is refered to as the "victim". You just gotta love the media.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

The trash can is a nice touch.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

+1 Bunny "trash", +1 slim "victim"
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Note to self, after a defensive shooting, don't stuff the BG in the can.

SD for sure, and what a great line!
    "OK, don’t hurt me, I got money here in the mattress"
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

South side of Chicago, sitting on his front doorstep awaiting police when they arrived, claimed to LEO he was attacked by a knife-wielding criminal, turned the tables and killed the attacker, then moved the body to a dumpster.

Hm. I don't suppose he knows a competent attorney, but I think he's going to need to speak with someone truly on his side. Though, it appears as if the investigators are giving some credence to his story at this point.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think maybe the guy is lying about what all really
    happened. I know after a high stress situation its
    easy not to think clearly but very very stupid to put
    a home invader's dead body in a trash can. Then plan
    on dumping the body in the alley. Sounds suspect but
    who knows maybe that is what really happened and the
    homeowner just didnt want the hassle of a trial and the huge
    price tag for court costs and a lawyer because it is
    guilty until proven innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    I think maybe the guy is lying about what all really happened. I know after a high stress situation its easy not to think clearly but very very stupid to put a home invader's dead body in a trash can. Then plan on dumping the body in the alley. Sounds suspect but who knows maybe that is what really happened and the homeowner just didnt want the hassle of a trial and the huge price tag for court costs and a lawyer because it is guilty until proven innocent.
    It's possible he's lying, but he deserves the benefit of the doubt under law.

I have no doubt the police will investigate thoroughly, and it should be relatively easy for crime scene investigators to determine if the shooting occurred in his basement like he claims.

In his defense, you have to remember that this occurred in Chicago, one of the most rabidly anti-gun cities in the nation. Also, I believe handguns are illegal there.

God only knows how many innocent citizens and shopkeepers have been prosecuted for merely attempting to defend themselves with "illegal" handguns.

Can you really blame the guy for being too scared to call the police, knowing very well that he might be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, for the "crime" of defending himself from a violent criminal?

There's no doubt he SHOULD have called the police immediately, but I can understand his hesitation under the circumstances, because of Chicago's absurd anti-gun laws.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    ... didnt want the hassle of a trial and the huge price tag for court costs and a lawyer because it is guilty until proven innocent.
    Seeing as how it's the south side and (effectively) guilty until proved innocent, that is probably the best thing he's got going for him.

If there is a witness or two, outside, who indicates certain things, or if the physical evidence doesn't exonerate him by itself, he's got some problems to overcome. I mean, guilty until proved innocent and all: he's still standing, he admitted to killing a guy, and the guy's rotting in the dumpster next door because he tried to hide the evidence. In Chicago without lots of friends and strong physical evidence to the contrary, that might well equal guilty, essentially.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links