GOOD: Woman Fights Back And Wins - Kansas City, MO

This is a discussion on GOOD: Woman Fights Back And Wins - Kansas City, MO within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Intruder Shot At Northland Apartment - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police said an intruder was shot during ...

Thread: GOOD: Woman Fights Back And Wins - Kansas City, MO

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Woman Fights Back And Wins - Kansas City, MO

Intruder Shot At Northland Apartment - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police said an intruder was shot during an attempted break-in at a Northland apartment complex early Monday morning.

Officers were called to the Wild Oaks complex at Highway 152 and Flintlock Road shortly before 3 a.m.

Police said a man was trying to break into an apartment when the woman inside grabbed her gun and fired at the intruder through the door.

The man pulled out his own gun and fired back.

The intruder was hit twice and was taken to a hospital. He is expected to recover.

The woman was not injured.
    Nice shooting on the victim's part, and glad to see she was not hit in the exchange. Good for her.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Seems like a pretty cut-and-dry case. Hope it all pans out in her favor in the end. Too many stories like these where the BG sues the GG for their injuries.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

RMS
    Good to read articles where people are fighting back and not being so passive.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS View Post
    Good to read articles where people are fighting back and not being so passive.
    It's too bad she was put in that situation, but she handled it fine. Glad to hear she is physically unharned.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Wow I wonder how my HST would do after shooting thru an entry door,maybe I need to carry a mag of FMJ for penetrating thru objects
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good for her. I hope she doesn't have any repercussions from it, legal or otherwise.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

So what is the BG's argument for pulling his trigger in return for being shot at while committing a robery? Self Defense? The BG should be charged with attempted murder as well as armed robbery. Throw the book at him and shun private lawyer who would defend him.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

I dunno, shooting THROUGH a door is always iffy. Then again waiting for him to break it in and rush you is bad too. Unless there were witnesses, why couldn't he just claim he was walking along and/or tried the wrong door by mistake, then got shot, hence his return fire?

I re-read the article. I pictured a scenerio where the BG was already in the appartment, and was shot thru a closed interior door such as a bedroom door. I Agree, shooting thru a closed front door would not be a wise idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    shooting THROUGH a door i
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

It's a shame the BG made it to the hospital...should have been to the coroner.

Let's hear it for the little lady...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just a note: In some states, (NC for example) you have more legal cover shooting at someone who is in the process of breaking in than you do if they are already in the house.

A couple of years ago here in Texas a guy tried to enter a house, not his and unfortunately (or fortunately) not the one he meant, through the back door. He was drunk and I don't recall now if he was trying to kick it in or break in somehow, but I seem to remember he was being aggressive in his attempts to enter, and the owner shot him in the head through the door. Accidentally, because the owner fired high to scare him away but the guy was really tall.

Score one for us short guys, we're smaller targets!

I am not going to chastise the woman! Home alone, 3 am... you gotta do what you gotta do!

For me personally, I am not for shooting through doors. Just doesn't sit well with me. I like to have a positive ID on someone I'm going to shoot.

Just my personal line in the sand kind of thing. I'm not judging this woman.

Also, which is unclear in this story, but if we are talking about someone who has already gained access to interior of the house and you are shooting through an "interior" door, I find that slightly more acceptable.

Still, she survived unscathed and used a gun to defend herself.

This was a bad dude who had a gun with him. He deserved no quarter given.

On a side note... Shooting through a door, could have caused the bullets to expended enough energy which resulted in being the cause for the bad guy to survive in the first place. Another reason I'm not keen on shooting through doors at targets I can't eyeball!

Still a big time congratulations for the woman who survived this nightmare! If she had not have had a firearm... She likely may not have survived to see daylight!

When a gun is what you need to defend yourself... there is no substitute! The bad guy certainly had one!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thumbs up

If a violent break-in as described, kudos to her.

It was shooting through the door, though. That's enough to get you trussed and hung by the toes, in some places. Still, she apparently knew what impending doom sounded like, as the fool (attempting to break down the door) had a gun and wasn't averse to using it. Live or die. On the instant of a violent attack, it's that simple. The "finger/phone" approach is fairly valueless, at that point.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links