burglar shoot...sons friend

This is a discussion on burglar shoot...sons friend within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; *shot Homeowner talks to WAFF 48 News about break in - WAFF.com: North Alabama News, Radar, Weather, Sports and Jobs- DECATUR, AL (WAFF) - There ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

*shot
    Homeowner talks to WAFF 48 News about break in - WAFF.com: North Alabama News, Radar, Weather, Sports and Jobs-

DECATUR, AL (WAFF) - There are new details about a deadly attempted burglary.

The homeowner talks to WAFF 48 News.

The incident happened Tuesday Morning at a home on 5th Avenue in Decatur.

Police say 14 year old Taveon Mason, and two other teens were breaking into the home when the person inside fired a shot killing mason.

The homeowner talked with WAFF 48 news Wednesday morning.

He feels bad about the shooting.

"I'm really sorry that happened you know, and When I realized later he was my son's friend. I had met him before, but I didn't know who it was at the time. Sorry it happened."

The other two teens, ages 14 and 16, were later taken into custody. No charges have been filed against the homeowner.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

you just don't know. any time,any place,any one.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

Hopefully the son also chooses better friends in the future.

Also goes to show that you have to be careful about what items in your home a guest knows is there. This certainly wasn't a coincidence/random robbery.

Not friends...dirtbags...nothing else...one down, and two more in waiting...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If he doesn't bother to get to know the people his children are bringing home he can look forward to more of the same. Lets face it. It's why their considered juvenile and not prosecuted as adults most of the time. Their judgement ain't that good and you, as parents, are supposed to compensate.

The other two teens really should be charged with the felony murder of their cohort!

I would not be surprised if this incident doesn't haunt the homeowner for a long time to come. And the least they can do is ram it to the little punks as hard as they can!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by bigo5552000 View Post
    *shot
    Homeowner talks to WAFF 48 News about break in - WAFF.com: North Alabama News, Radar, Weather, Sports and Jobs-

DECATUR, AL (WAFF) - There are new details about a deadly attempted burglary.

The homeowner talks to WAFF 48 News.

The incident happened Tuesday Morning at a home on 5th Avenue in Decatur.

Police say 14 year old Taveon Mason, and two other teens were breaking into the home when the person inside fired a shot killing mason.

The homeowner talked with WAFF 48 news Wednesday morning.

He feels bad about the shooting.

"I'm really sorry that happened you know, and When I realized later he was my son's friend. I had met him before, but I didn't know who it was at the time. Sorry it happened."

The other two teens, ages 14 and 16, were later taken into custody. No charges have been filed against the homeowner.
    This is one of those situations where the other two burglars should be charged with murder.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Yep, they should be charged with murder.... since they were committing a felony that resulted in a death. Can't blame the homeowner. It may make some younger folks think twice about going into someone's home and actually reduce crime.

It's too bad that a 14 yr old died, and did something that stupid and paid with his life. AT 14, they aren't the brightest in the world. It does make me wonder more about the circumstances that he shot and how they were breaking in.

IF someone is inside that's one thing, if they are in the process of breaking in .... I'ld give them 'one' warning.

Even in your teenage years of life
    you have to know that breaking into a
    home is wrong, dangerous, and could get
    you killed or in jail. Sad story but the teens
    shouldnt have been doing break-ins.

Don't want to get forcibly ejected from someone's home, during a crime you're committing? Well, then ... don't do that. The resulting bullets through you and your cohorts will simply be the results of your choices. It ain't worth it.

The criminals knew right from wrong. They knew they were doing wrong. They apparently didn't care about the risks to others, nor the damage they might bring via their choices and actions. Sux to be them, I guess. Their actions resulted in someone's death. IMO, murder is the proper charge.

Kudos on the citizen for still being standing. Kudos on the DA/investigators for apparently supporting the citizen in the lawful defense of the home. The criminals' families must be worried for their progeny. They should be, since the little cretins are on the fast track to Hades. As for the fact the citizen knew one or more of the cretins: that doesn't change anything.

In this sort of situation, I suppose you could say I'm a "liberal": adult response, liberally applied.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree with ya ccw9mm. Most homicides
    are commited by someone that knows the
    victim. This case could have been a case book
    study of that statistic once the teens got inside
    the home.

DM2
    Apparently, this isn't the first time the three broke into his house.

Here is another article Decatur man devastated by shooting teen burglary suspect - WAFF.com: North Alabama News, Radar, Weather, Sports and Jobs-

It's sad, but it appears that all three were well into their journey of a life of crime.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

It doesn't matter if the home invader is 14 or whatever, they still were breaking in and could have been armed, and yes....KILLED the homeowner in the commission of the robbery. The home owner choose to make him a 14 y/o "statistic" but was well within his right to protect himself and family from becoming victims. Not that they aren't, but at least they are alive and the BG paid the ultimate price for commiting crime.

Just because they are teen aged doesn't mean they won't injure or kill. Hate to see them starting out on the crime path that young, but they know. Believe me, they know, but choose to disreguard the potential consequences. Too bad it had to happen this way, but for every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; September 10th, 2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add words
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Young teen criminals are more dangerous than older criminals.
    As others have mentioned here, they know right from wrong.
    Other than in rare cases of actual mental deficiency, I believe people over the 'age of reason', (that's why it's called that) instinctively know right from wrong.
    These teens today don't have the judgment; haven't been taught to respect anything (in some case quite the opposite); and many times they are trying to prove how 'bad' they are.
    They will shoot without provocation, where an older 'attacker' is more apt to need a reason.
    It is unfortunate that more people don't realize this. In the press, and in the juries, there is still the reasoning that a perp 'was only a child!' and more often the defender is ridiculed for their actions. Add to that a parent loudly claiming that 'my boy was a good boy, he would never do anything like that', and you have our current state of affairs.
    It is a terrible thing to think about having to defend yourself against a 'child', but in today's world, it is a distinct possibility.

Anytime, anywhere, anyBODY, can be a threat.
    Stay Safe.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

It's sad a person died and it was a young person, but they should have known the consequences of their actions and now one of them had to find out the hard way. Kudos to the homeowner for standing his ground.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links