Bad: Wal-Mart Security Guard Kidnapped & Beaten

This is a discussion on Bad: Wal-Mart Security Guard Kidnapped & Beaten within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SEPT 9 2009 CHARLOTTE NC A security officer working for a private security company and assigned to parking lot patrol at a Wal-Mart on Wilkerson ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Wal-Mart Security Guard Kidnapped & Beaten

VIP Member

SEPT 9 2009
    CHARLOTTE NC

A security officer working for a private security company and assigned to parking lot patrol at a Wal-Mart on Wilkerson Blvd. has been kidnapped, carjacked and beaten and is in critical condition.

Police say that the 76 year old security officer was patrolling the parking lot at around 1am in a company pick-up truck when he was kidnapped and taken several blocks away where he was beaten about the head, face and upper body.

The security officer was discovered laying on a street several hours later and rushed to an area hospital but is in critical condition. Police have no suspects but are checking surveillance from the store's cameras.
    Wal-Mart cares more about the appearance of security than about a 76-year-old in "target" (marked with flashing lights) vehicle and unarmed. Their "security" is often so constrained by rules as to be worse than USELESS as the ivory tower executives decide to enact policies that endager lives of honest, working people.

So they check the videos - after the fact. A dangerous charade and not enough commitment by Wal-Mart for real-time eyes on the monitors. Do you think that Wal-Mart has its priorities straight?!

Do you think that Wal-Mart parking lots are a place to be in Condition White?!

The Wal-Mart security strategy of endangering security officers while witholding the investment necessary to pay more than lip service to security is scoring for the bad guys.

Take your Wally Walks veerry seriously

A silver lining is that police now have an
    arrest.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

It takes a real coward to beat up a 76-year-old, even moreso if there were multiple thugs.

VIP Member
    76 years old... took a REAL man to whoop on a old security guard like that!

Grady, I was writing that at the same time you were!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

jbs
    The 16 year old that they caught should get one year for each of the years the security dude has lived.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    This wal mart is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the gun shop where all the LEOs go and several, I believe, also work there!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Man, unarmed security is one job I would never want. It's bad enough wearing an outfit that screams, "Shoot me first!" but not being able to return fire if you survive the initial volley...

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

I know the uneasy feeling of being on and "Unarmed Account" from my days in New Orleans. On the Industrial Canal during New Years, I lay on the floor of the Guard Shack as the Fire Works and Gun Fire went on hour after hour. Then there was the Hwy 90 East Account at a Shipyard and that was always interesting with the Gun Fire from passing vehicles. I was always nervous!
    Our operation standard for the Unarmed Account was "Observe and Report"! When I would have to call NOPD which was 25 Miles from the Shipyard, it would seemingly take forever for them to get there. I doesn't matter if your 31 as I was at the time or 76 as this gentleman, with no weapon, life can go down hill quick! Hope He gets over his beating quickly. I'm sure he will replay the event over in his mind many times.

I also hope Walmart will so do something to provide security for Customers and Staff. Seems like they are good at Discount Security and that has hit to close to home here. But I talked about those events at Walmart in other posts and won't go over that again here. Anyway do hope the Security Guard gets well soon!

Take Care
    Stay Safe
    Boze
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

That's WILKINSON Boulevard, not "Wilkerson".

I blame the private company, Security Forces Inc., that Wal-Mart contracted to provide the security patrol.

Wal-Mart can't tell Security Forces (SF) what personnel they can or can't use, since they don't own or control SF.

That particular Wal-Mart is in an area that is known to be a VERY bad part of Charlotte. SF was grossly irresponsible in allowing a guard that old to be on an outdoor patrol in that part of town.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Wal-Mart cares more about the appearance of security than about a 76-year-old in "target" (marked with flashing lights) vehicle and unarmed. Their "security" is often so constrained by rules as to be worse than USELESS as the ivory tower executives decide to enact policies that endager lives of honest, working people.
    Security guards are usually not hired to actually provide security. Their job is to "Observe and report". The main reason they are hired is because of insurance reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Security guards are usually not hired to actually provide security. Their job is to "Observe and report". The main reason they are hired is because of insurance reasons.
    Here's a great story on how effective security guards are.

Two years ago in MN at our local amusement park (Valleyfair), there was a case where some teenage thugs spent the day harassing young girls, groping them and laughing about it.

The park "security" followed them all day, did nothing to intervene, did not eject them from the park even though they were groping young girls all day. Maybe the park didn't want to appear racist as these were all "urban gentlemen".

On their way out of the park at the end of the day, they got into an altercation with a young girl's dad who objecting to having his daughter groped [even on their way out they were harassing people]. The perp got on his cell, called in his homies and when they gathered they ganged up on the guy and beat him into a coma.

The park security guards were there through the whole thing, WATCHING and doing NOTHING. They just stood there and watched.

The thing was ended before the man was killled when an undercover cop produced a firearm and threatened to shoot the thugs. Funny how one gun changed everything - I'm always told that guns never make anyone safer ... anyway ...

The moral of the story is, "security guards" will NOT protect you if you get jumped or robbed. They will stand there and watch while you get killed. They are not supposed to intervene, nor will they intervene.

are protecting the and that makes the wolves laugh.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Motive?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Maybe we need a law requiring a different name for unarmed security.

Call them Watchers instead. That way, no one will have any expectation that they will help.

Forget just locking this little scumbag away. His sentence should be getting his butt kicked royally on a daily basis for the duration of his sentence.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Do you think that Wal-Mart parking lots are a place to be in Condition White?![/URL].
    There is NO place for Condition White....ever!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    I blame the private company, Security Forces Inc., that Wal-Mart contracted to provide the security patrol.

Wal-Mart can't tell Security Forces (SF) what personnel they can or can't use, since they don't own or control SF..
    I am sure WM can stipulate whatever they want in the contract. It's their property. Everything is based on dollars and SF wouldn't bid armed guards for an unarmed contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I am sure WM can stipulate whatever they want in the contract. It's their property. Everything is based on dollars and SF wouldn't bid armed guards for an unarmed contract.
    ^Wrong!

When I first got out of the military years ago, I worked private security for a few different companies while I searched for a better job.

Private contract security companies make their own personnel decisions about who they put on a specific job.

Security Forces Inc. is entirely to blame here. They could've and should've put a younger man on the job.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links