GOOD We need more Sheriffs like this one - Page 3

GOOD We need more Sheriffs like this one

This is a discussion on GOOD We need more Sheriffs like this one within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm . . . . My point is, it's easy to come upon a crazy, mixed-up group of cars that isn't adhering ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GOOD We need more Sheriffs like this one

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    . . . . My point is, it's easy to come upon a crazy, mixed-up group of cars that isn't adhering to any sensible use of the road, which ends up being a funeral procession requiring some measure of dignity and solemnity, but where some of the participants fails to exhibit either. It happened to me. Can't say whether it occurred similarly with the woman in question, above, but it wouldn't surprise me.

In the end, I'd be surprised if she spit on vets, pissed on their memory, disrespected the commitment and sacrifice made by each and every soldier, or chose to appear disrespectful or insensitive in any way on that day. People will take things the way they will, often with little or no "provocation" or reason for doing so, other than being wound up on a bad day.

Anyway. "High horses" can be gotten onto by a number of people, on such a bad day. Those "in the know" might not appreciate that not everyone they'll meet, that day, is "in the know." And it can be that simple, when some of "those" folks don't appear to be with the program ... and it may have nothing to do with being disrespectful or even knowing what's going on.
    Although as you suggest she may not have known of the complete facts, by the time she wrote her letter she unquestionably knew enough of the facts. However, because of her own selfish nature she was determined for the world to know that this supposed mere dead soldier had caused her an inconvenience, and thus those responsible for the inconvenience should be punished by some official action.

Thus, I have zero compassion for the complaining woman. She has placed herself into the idiot, selfish, non-patriotic class, and actually I am very surprised that you would make excuses for her (though they be only partial or semi-excuses). So be it -- like the Sheriff I also am a Vietnam veteran. Although I do not have a motorcycle, I know whose team for which its riders ride, and by God, by the time she wrote her letter she also knew. There no doubt will be a seat reserved for her in hell someday.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

I was one of two officers on traffic control for a local funeral.
    An old timer stopped and gave me seven kinds of Hades.
    He'd short-cut around the procession when he saw the Sheriff's deputy slouched against his cruiser, spitting tobacker juice into a foam cup as the hearse passsed by, apparently intent on finding the other cop he figured must be on duty. (I was a deputy marshal, not a Sheriff's deputy.)
    He didn't beat the procession by much; it turned the corner as he was speaking. I was watching for it.
    "Excuse me," I said civilly, stepped behind his vehicle and to the shoulder line of the blacktop, came to attention and rendered honors.
    This irascible old fellow yelled back "That's the way it oughta be done!" and took out in a spray of gravel, squirting on ahead of the hearse.
    I waited until the funeral processsion passed before reaching for that gray GE mike and turning the channel selector.
    The State Patrol got him for speed, stop sign violation and reckless op about fifteen minutes later.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Although as you suggest she may not have known of the complete facts ...
    I suggest nothing, about this specific person in this specific incident. I wasn't there. Nobody here was, either. I'm simply suggesting that, lacking all the facts, many situations could have other elements contributing to the reality. That's all, nothing more.

Just so we're all clear: I am not supporting the bad choices and nastiness this person showed. It wasn't nice at all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Clearly, the person in the situation knew it was a funeral procession and showed enough me-first-isms and lack of respect generally shown at such affairs, yes.
    How true!

To the sheriff...

To the fallen soldier..."Deep respect and gratefulness"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The reception from Vietnam only tempered their resolve to not put up with any more disrespect or foolishness.

Untempered personal feelings? How can a human being NOT act on their personal feelings or let it affect their judgment ?

The Sheriff did a great job in explaining his thoughts on the subject.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

The woman, like most people that live in their tiny little worlds where they are the only ones that matter, was totally and completely unaware of her surroundings. She was totally oblivious to the feelings of others. By being so clueless, she was disrespecting every single person in that funeral procession.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

That's it in a nutshell. The "it is all about me" factor screams out in her letters.

Let me say, that I did not know what was happening. I knew the did not have Kennedy coming to STL, at least not yesterday. I was at work all day. No news. Nothing reported on the traffic on the radio driving home.

I am proud of our country and sorry for the family, but they had no idea where I was going or anything else. I could have a child at day-care, I could have been sick and racing to the bathroom, I could have a sick parent waiting for me, etc., etc.

I left an abusive husband 1 1/2 years ago and I did not need this intimidation. I was livid and shaking!!

My son is a deputy sheriff in another MO county. I respect police officers. It was not their fault as they were busy with traffic, but I called to make them aware of what was going on during this thing.

Where I live, everyone that sees a funeral procession will pull off to the side and let them pass. People that are happen to be walking will stop and removed their hat or bow their heads until it is over. Even the big trucks will do it. The Police will do it. Firetrucks do it. People riding a bikes will do it.

In the unusual even that some yahoo does blow by everyone or ignore it, it proves that they are not from around here and from some place where respect,discipline and manners are largely unknown and unpracticed.
    Same here in SWVA.

Even when approaching on the opposite side/direction people will pull off to the side.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Several years ago two Chesapeake, VA firefighters were killed in a truss collapse at an auto parts store. The funeral was massive. A friend of mine was on an engine assigned to block traffic at a particular intersection. While there, a motorist began loudly complaining of the delay, and saying idiotic things like firefighters know the risks, so why all the fuss? As i understand it, that guy narrowly escaped a beatdown.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Several years ago two Chesapeake, VA firefighters were killed in a truss collapse at an auto parts store. The funeral was massive.
    Life is full of coincidences.

I just made a run to a couple gun shop (to buy powder & primers, at one; to look at a used S&W, at the second). Came back into town (2100 pop.) 180* from the direction I had left.

As I approached home, I stopped for a funeral procession. As I followed the procession past the cemetery there was a arch formed by the local ladder and one from the small city up the road.

Doubt if any locals had a problem with US 11 being blocked in both directions, for a while.

BTW -- Just checked. He was a lifetime member of the local FD who passed away at home at the age of 70, not in a well publicized tragedy -- but that's not the point.

The point is a matter of respect.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If I ever become so petulant & self-involved as the complainant in this OP, I respectfully ask that any friends I may have made on this forum take me out (somewhere quiet & remote) and physically adjust my attitude. So help me God.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The sheriff sure set things straight. A lot of self serving people just look for something to complain about.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Miggy... You come through like always! You're the boss!

Thanks for posting those pictures, Sir.
    Ditto!!

Two thumbs up for Sherrif Boyer

WASHINGTON DID’NT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Weather she knew or not does not excuse her irate, what about me attitude. Unfortunately there are a lot of people like her out there that think the world revolves around them.

I applaud the sheriff for the courage to stand behind his convictions and not take the politically correct avenue.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links