Mayor praises homeowner who fired at invaders-UPDATE

This is a discussion on Mayor praises homeowner who fired at invaders-UPDATE within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Home invasion: Ormond mayor praises police, resident after homeowner shoots at alleged robbers -- OrlandoSentinel.com Mayor praises homeowner who fired at alleged invaders Sara K. ...

Thread: Mayor praises homeowner who fired at invaders-UPDATE

Mayor praises homeowner who fired at invaders-UPDATE

Home invasion: Ormond mayor praises police, resident after homeowner shoots at alleged robbers -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Mayor praises homeowner who fired at alleged invaders

Sara K. Clarke and Kevin P. Connolly Sentinel Staff Writers

7:22 a.m. EDT, September 14, 2009

The mayor of Ormond Beach praised police -- and a resident who fought back -- after a homeowner fired his shotgun at two alleged home invaders Sunday.

In an email to the media, Mayor Fred Costello said he thinks the actions of homeowner Dane Rollins, 34, to defend himself will make "all our residents are safer and will have less of a threat from subsequent home invasions."

The suspects -- identified as William S. Bell, 38, of Daytona Beach, and Christopher C. Young, 38, of New Smyrna Beach -- were hospitalized.

A third suspect was identified as 28-year-old Brandy Lee Harris of Ormond Beach. She was identified as a "participant,'' though details of her alleged involvement were not immediately released.

All three are being charged with home invasion robbery.

The home invasion and shooting happened on Cypress Circle at about 9:30 a.m. Sunday.

Rollins reported that two armed men barged into his home while he was sleeping and demanded money. He complied, but got a shotgun as they fled the home.

Shots were exchanged in the street between Rollins and both suspects
    , police said. One suspect fled in a dark Nissan, and was later stopped by Daytona Beach Police.

The driver, who suffered gunshot wounds, was taken into custody and transported to Halifax Hospital. The second suspect, who fled on foot, was found near the residence. He was also taken to the hospital with gunshot wounds.

In his email, the mayor of Ormond Beach said Rollins' actions may deter others from breaking into homes.

"Criminals who otherwise would consider an armed home invasion will consider the results of this home invasion turned around onto the criminal and remember that they don't know who has the firepower to respond!' Costello wrote. "Based upon the information provided, I hope our laws protect the homeowner who protected his home."
    It would have been best if he had been more prepared and shot the BGs IN his house. But, hopefully there will be no charges stemming from what looks like him chasing them outside and firing.

Home invasion: Ormond mayor praises police, resident after homeowner shoots at alleged robbers -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Police: Shooting robbers was okay, but gun resident used was not

Gary Taylor Sentinel Staff Writer

4:50 p.m. EDT, September 14, 2009

A homeowner who shot two gunmen after they broke into his home Sunday will not face charges for that, but is in trouble because the gun he used to shoot them had been illegally modified.

Meanwhile, Ormond Beach's mayor said his city is a safer place to live because the resident opened fire on the suspects.

Based on what I have read about the case, said Mayor Fred Costello, "I am of the opinion that because the victim was armed and chose to use his firepower in response to the invasion of his home, all our residents are safer and will have less of a threat from subsequent home invasions."

New details were released today about the incident that occurred about 9:30 a.m. Sunday on Cypress Circle.

William S. Bell, 31, of Daytona Beach, Christopher C. Young, 28, of New Smyrna Beach and Brandy Lee Harris, 28, of Ormond Beach, all face a charge of home-invasion robbery, Ormond Beach police Sgt. Kenny Hayes said.

All three were shot by the homeowner, 34-year-old Dayne Rollins, Hayes said. Bell and Young are at Halifax Health Medical Center with injuries that are serious, but not life-threatening, he said. Harris is in the Volusia County Branch Jail.

Detectives have no plans to charge Rollins for shooting the robbers, but they do plan to charge him with possession of a short-barreled shotgun, a second-degree felony, because the gun he used has been modified by sawing off the barrel and stock, Hayes said.

Rollins, who said he suffered injuries including a dislocated shoulder, did not want to discuss the incident when contacted today. "I was violated," he said. "I'm feeling pretty rough right now."

Hayes said Rollins new Harris and picked her up at a convenience store Sunday morning after she called him and said she wanted to smoke marijuana, Hayes said.

They were only inside the house a minute or two when Bell and Young barged in, Hayes said. Rollins' roommate, Jason Rockwell, 30, was also inside the residence.

While Young armed himself with a rifle from inside the home and held it on Rockwell, Bell confronted Rollins with a small-caliber handgun and demanded "everything you've got," Hayes said.

Harris became involved in the robbery when she handed ammunition for the rifle to young, Hayes said.

After Rollins gave Bell several hundred dollars in cash and some prescription pills, the three left and when to the other side of the duplex, where Rollins' mother lives, Hayes said. That's when Rollins grabbed the shotgun and confronted the three at his mother's front door, he said.

The suspects pointed their guns at Rollins and shots were exchanged. Rollins fired at least four shots, striking all three, who ran to a black Nissan parked on the street, Hayes said. Young left in the car, while the other two fled on foot.

Bell was captured by Ormond Beach police Officer Jay Brennan while trying to hide in some bushes in nearby Milton Pepper Park. Harris briefly sought refuge at a nearby home and then ran to Florida Hospital Oceanside where she sought treatment for a grazing bullet wound to the head, Hayes said.

She ran from the hospital when she learned police were being called but was located hours later. Young was captured during a traffic stop in Daytona Beach.

Detectives believe the crime was planned in advance by Bell, Young, and Harris and that Rollins was targeted due to Harris' knowledge of his keeping cash and medications at his residence, Hayes said.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; September 14th, 2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: updated story
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    [
    It would have been best if he had been more prepared and shot the BGs IN his house. But, hopefully there will be no charges stemming from what looks like him chasing them outside and firing.

Mayor. You get it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

9:30 in the morning=bold intruders.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I wonder if those guys get worker's comp because of injuries on the job. And I am sure the mayor and homeowner will be getting a talking to from the Criminals Union.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    We need more mayors like that one!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Homeowner to be charged with possession of SB shotgun.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

That part really stinks,.. Isn't like he was hiding it and walking down the street,.. In his home,.. Should be ok... GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nice shooting on the homeowner's part, but he should have been a little smarter about the 'too short shottie'...could cause him some real problems. I hope the BATFE do not pay him a visit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hopefully the prosecutor will refuse to prosecute because of community outrage, or at least let him plea down to a misdemeanor.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

I've never understood the reason why shortened shotguns carry so many regulations. Such laws do nothing to stop a criminal who is going to use a firearm.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I've never understood the reason why shortened shotguns carry so many regulations. Such laws do nothing to stop a criminal who is going to use a firearm.
    How's this: I can walk down the street with a gun openly on my hip and another hidden in my pants, but if I clip a spring-assisted knife to my pocket I can be charged with a class B misdemeanor and therefore have my CC license revoked.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Laws need to be changed:

Any type of gun legal in your home. (Hey it's a small step)

Home invaders (and carjackers) can be shot without legal restraint.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I know one of the medics involved in this pretty well.

A couple obvious lessons here. First, the illegal SBS thing. How much advantage do you think a couple less inches of barrel gave him and is it worth it compared to the felony charge? Second, don't hang around with criminals and smoke dope. If he was in church knitting a blanket for the homeless this wouldn't have happened. And second, even OO buck is not a sure thing even with good torso hits.

Links