Palm Beach County woman honored for 'quick thinking' in attack on school bus

This is a discussion on Palm Beach County woman honored for 'quick thinking' in attack on school bus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Palm Beach County woman honored for 'quick thinking' in attack on school bus Palm Beach County woman honored for 'quick thinking' in attack on school ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm Beach County woman honored for 'quick thinking' in attack on school bus

By Michael C. Bender

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, September 14, 2009

TALLAHASSEE — A Palm Beach County School district employee who put herself in harms way to keep a bus fill of children safe from a gunman was honored today as the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's 2009 School Bus Operator of the Year.

Kendra Hankerson, 29, was driving about 50 students home on March 13 when a black SUV pulled in front of her. Two men, including one with a rifle, jumped out and began yelling for the students to get out of the bus.

Hankerson, the mother of two girls, maneuvered the bus to block the children, putting herself between the students and the gunman who was pointing the weapon at the bus.

She then ignored the usual drop-off stops and instead drove each child to his or her home.

Later the same day, Shorn Reckley, 21, was arrested for his involvement in the incident.

The charges against a second man were eventually dropped.

Reckley was eventually sentenced to 6 months probation, 100 hours of community service and 12 hours of anger management classes.

He was also forced to pay a $250 fine and write a letter of apology to Hankerson, according to the Delray Beach Police Department.

Hankerson was honored Monday at the state Capitol for her "quick thinking."

"Ms. Hankerson, thank you for your courageous actions," FDLE Criminal Justice Information Services Director Donna Uzzell said.

Hankerson has been a school district employee for five years.

She received a community service commendation from the Delray Beach Police Department in June.
    I don't remember reading about this when it happened, but it is worth pointing out still. We talk a fair amount about situational awareness and using our minds as our greatest weapon. Here is a woman who, with great courage, IMO, did the right thing.

Congrats to Ms. Hankerson.

Now, on to my rant--what the H-E-double hockey sticks is the deal with giving this POS 21 y.o. 6 mos probation, community service and anger management training???
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Here is the big problem with our 'Criminal Injustice System'...this thug gets out of a car and points a rifle at a school bus filled with students and all he gets is probation and community service?
    Then they will invent some additional rifle laws for the 'honest' folks to follow.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wait a minute...All he gets as punishment is probation, a personal enrichment class, and is required to write an note of apology?!

He tried to hold up a school bus...and terrorized children...with a firearm!!!
    Isn't this a mandatory minimum qualifying item for prison time?!

If it is not, why!!?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    NO, he should be serving atleast 10 years per state law. Hold on folks I have a AG to Call ASAP!
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Just imagine the punishment you would have gotten if you had been carrying legally, and drawn on him. Makes me wonder.

West Palm is a great place [sarcasm]. If anyone out there has seen pictures of beautiful West Palm Beach Florida, you have only seen the smallest part. Everything west of the intercoastal is Haitian slum. I used to live in South Florida and everytime I drove through that hell hole I thought it should be naped.

FL supposedly has a 10-20-Life standard.

But, this is WPB area, where the most idiotic, insane liberal is Mayor. Apparently the judges are just as sane.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Wow, how is that even possible? No jail time, it's just craziness!

No prison time for this incident is an Outrage!

And if I was the bus driver, I would have taken the opportunity to say so when I received my award!

Great job for her, btw! Brave lady and took responsibility for those in her charge.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Apparently it was all a big misunderstanding...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Unbelieveable that he didn't get a worse sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    West Palm is a great place [sarcasm]. If anyone out there has seen pictures of beautiful West Palm Beach Florida, you have only seen the smallest part. Everything west of the intercoastal is Haitian slum. I used to live in South Florida and everytime I drove through that hell hole I thought it should be naped.
    OK Just like every where there are small parts of the county that are bad but MOST are good. Try speaking on something you KNOW about. And as far as the punishment it is a JOKE! He should be doing at least 10 years! Like retsupt99 said maybe MORE useless gun laws would fix it Like all of you I wish they would make stricter punishment for breaking the laws ALREADY in place!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Great job? What about calling 911 and driving to the nearest police station.Someone tries to hijack your bus and you continue your route?I admit she was brave in the beginning but please call for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    OK Just like every where there are small parts of the county that are bad but MOST are good. Try speaking on something you KNOW about. And as far as the punishment it is a JOKE! He should be doing at least 10 years! Like retsupt99 said maybe MORE useless gun laws would fix it Like all of you I wish they would make stricter punishment for breaking the laws ALREADY in place!
    I used to live in Wauchula in Hardee County, I know about West Palm. Had to drive through there too many times. And yeah there are good parts, though I think the Peace River Valley is God's best work ;) All joking aside, West Palm is the worst neighborhood between Orlando and Miami.
    Last edited by lance22; September 15th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

Senior Moderator
    That sentence is a travesty. At the very minimum, this is aggravated assault with a firearm, which carries a 3 year minimum mandatory sentence.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'm sure the guns weren't loaded and they were only displaying a little road rage,sarcasm off,this is atrocious,they wanta try to outlaw guns but this guy should be getting a max sentence,but they slap his hand,must be because no kids were shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links