Can't happen here, we live in a good gated community

This is a discussion on Can't happen here, we live in a good gated community within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Random "Those people" account for a large majority of America's population, and I tend to think it's modeled and taught. I agree... ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Can't happen here, we live in a good gated community

  1. #31
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    "Those people" account for a large majority of America's population, and I tend to think it's modeled and taught.
    I agree... and there really needs to be a "sarcasm" font as I was attempting some humor and sarcasm.

    I believe the sheep have been "taught" to be sheep over at least a generation of far left liberal indoctrination at all levels of the public educational system. Especially when it comes to not accepting personal accountability and the first response to always attempt to assign blame elsewhere.

    However, I didn't want to get into a political debate... I was just being a little sarcastic.

    But as to your point, yes, I do agree.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    CCW,

    Production temperature and temperature as served are two completely different items.
    A steak is grilled at a far higher temperature than it is served at and expected to be consumed.

    The product serving temperature of the McDs coffee clearly was scalding and thus overly hot for handling and consumption.

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    CCW,

    Production temperature and temperature as served are two completely different items.

    The product serving temperature of the McDs coffee clearly was scalding and thus overly hot for handling and consumption.
    With fresh-brewed coffee??

    Coffee drinkers won't typically brook a delay between the brewing and the serving. At any fast-food type place, the consumer can see when the pot's done. Point is, before the last drip has dropped, the customer's cuppa is poured. That doesn't allow much time for the temps to go below the typical McD's brewing temp of ~185*F (already well below norms for decent coffee ... which could explain a lot).

    Trouble is, EVERYWHERE the quick-pour method is done, the "solution" to the hot temperatures of the serving rests with the consumer. A "higher authority" need not confirm this one, as it's common sense. If we remove all other control points, then we're left with the last one, the customer. In short, Mr. Consumer: don't drink the damned thing until it's cool enough to drink. AKA, use your head. That's the way with all coffee that's brewed properly. In fact, using your head is required in order to survive, but she forgot that, this day.

    Steak vs coffee?

    Production of a steak can be 1-10mins prior to delivery to the customer's table in a restaurant, controlled by the chef. Hence the legally-fearful restaurateur can control delivery times, to lengthen them enough to where the risk of scalding by stupid customers is minimized, though that increases the risk of angering customers with tepid meat and congealing fat globs.

    Coffee doesn't work that way. Fresh-brewed is the ticket, and at McD's once it's done dripping into the pot the cuppa is poured. Not the same as with steak or other items.

    Anyway. Because of these factors, IMO, McD's did nothing wrong. But they get the butt end of the stick, 'cause it's litigious America and the time was ripe. It's not like there was a shortage of ambulance chasers.

    We can tangle, we can spin. At the end of the day, it is what it is. The facts remain: McD's typical coffee brewing temps were below industry norms; this particular customer didn't do her part to ensure avoidance of scalding on a known-hot item; and, there was a long line of legal "eagles" just waiting for a juicy little public shellacking of a recognizable name.

    BTW: I am not condoning the delivery of too-hot-to-drink coffee. I am also not condoning the live-with-eyes-closed method that granny used. I propose a middle ground, which is fair. The coffee shop can drop normal brewing temps from ~200*F to 185*F, and the customer can engage the brain and look before leaping (while deciding for him/herself where in the 140-175*F range he/she is comfortable drinking the steaming liquid). Perfectly, wonderfully fair, that. Of course, this takes common sense, and this is America we're speaking of, where it ain't so common as it once was. You'd think that sort of mutual, unspoken contract would be a fair one, breached as it was by granny, as she didn't perform her part. Thus, McD's was probably more justified in suing her based on failure to engage the brain, than she'd ever be with claiming any failure on the store's part.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  5. #34
    Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I cant help but think "Hot Coffee is Hot"
    I want to apologize to DaveH for derailing his conversation on Gated Communities and silly lawsuits with a conversation about coffee. I was thinking more about the silly warnings about things you should already know. He may want to look at the little Disclaimer Sticker on the bottom of his gate saying that the Gate does not prevent crime or bodily injury, I wonder if one is on his gate now?
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

    You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

  6. #35
    Senior Member Array cwblanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Gated communitys make it safer for the criminal,because everyone thinks that it cant happen there and they dont have the mindset to deal with it.
    What kind of gated community do you live in anyway? Virtually all of our gated community residents are armed several times over -- enough to cover a mini-invasion.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

  7. #36
    Senior Member Array cwblanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I cant help but think "Hot Coffee is Hot"
    Yep. I once tried one of those awful hot coffee cases. The cheap cup (half the thiickness of normal cups) crumbled in the waitresses hands, the coffee ran down the man's boot, burned his foot badley, and he had to have skin grafts off of his butt.

    Now what were we talking about -- Oh yes, negligent home owners associations allowing the bad guys to gain entrance. Many folks are overlooking the fact that high end homeowners associations are likely to have an abundance of members who have multiple alarms, and are armed like an army, and that an invader will be lucky to leave in one piece. You might compare them to high end bubba villages.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

  8. #37
    Member Array llongshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep Southern Illinois
    Posts
    276
    Regardless of the situation (you paid for fries and they weren't in the sack when you got home) you and I expect to get what we pay for as advertised. If it doesn't happen (missing fries or gated community with no gate) we want to be made whole. If this guy had gotten what he was promised and got mugged in his home because he was a wuss he needs to suck it up. If he didn't get what he was promised (and apparently he didn't) he deserves compensation. If for no other reason to demonstrate to those who make a living offering services they don't intend to provide that there are penalties (Bernie Madeoff (no pun intended) comes to mind). If you contracted a company to roof your home and they only did three quarters wouldn't you want some sort of reconcilliation? If they decided to ignore your request to provide the service offered would you take action. Folks, there are people out there sueing anyone and everyone they can to avoid actually having to earn an honest living. Guess what? There are companies out there offering services they know darn well they're not going to provide for the same reason.

  9. #38
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,437
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    What kind of gated community do you live in anyway? Virtually all of our gated community residents are armed several times over -- enough to cover a mini-invasion.
    hmmm, I've never got that feeling when on calls in them
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  10. #39
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,119
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I want to apologize to DaveH for derailing his conversation on Gated Communities and silly lawsuits with a conversation about coffee.
    Both expectations (gates, coffee) as to validity of lawsuits are equally ludicrous for a consumer to believe as panaceas. IMO, it wasn't a derailment; it was a detailing of just how silly the claims were by comparing them with a fairly good analogy. To those who don't see it and feel it was a bad thing, my apologies. But the remarks about the silliness of having gone so far into coffee bring home the point: it's that bad, the feeling that a gate = security.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  11. #40
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    ...
    Many folks are overlooking the fact that "high end" homeowners associations are likely to have an abundance of members who have multiple alarms, and are armed like an army, and that an invader will be lucky to leave in one piece. You might compare them to high end bubba villages.
    Depends on where you are, IMHO.

    That's what I'd expect in Texas.

    OTOH, in some States, which I have visited/lived in, the high end homeowners in gated communities and other "up-scale" neighborhoods are very anti-RKBA. True, some did tend to have up-scale alarms but for the most part they were white-zone , only arming the alarms when away or going to bed.

    Some of the highest income areas (see: CNN/Money: Highest income zip codes) in the country are very anti-RKBA -- No. 1 is zip code 60043 in Kenilworth, Illinois, (82.92% of six-figure income earners) and most are posh suburbs in the Northeast.

    As always, YMMV
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  12. #41
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,842
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    What kind of gated community do you live in anyway? Virtually all of our gated community residents are armed several times over -- enough to cover a mini-invasion.
    I don't live in a community. I live out in the sticks. The only neighbors I have are animals.The only gates around here are cattle gates. Other than coyotes howling,crows yacking,hawks screaming, and an occasional moo,its nice and quiet like.

    I do respond to the only gated community in this area. Most of the people there are overeducated yuppies and soccer moms that live in a fantasy land. Bad things cant happen there, because, hey, we live in a gated community and and the houses are expensive. Most of the people there have some serious arsenals of golf clubs and the only thing that they stock is in the cupboard at the bar.

    I've heard it all before and had some lengthy converstations with some of those that live there when taking various reports. I must admit, it can be rather amusing.

    There may be a few people in there with a clue. When the SHTF, they'll be fighting off their clueless neighbors.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  13. #42
    Ex Member Array JOHNSMITH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    1,726
    I think the development should really maintain their gate (lots of gated communities often have broken gates, due mostly to people who "push" the gate with their car or otherwise gently bump it, which will usually auto shut down the gate), because the people inside pay for it.

    However, the actual basis of his lawsuit is silly. How about he sue the manufacturer of his door locks? The door itself? What about the guy who poured his concrete sidewalk. Maybe if there was no sidewalk, the bad guys would've never gotten to his door!

    "Aww man, I don't want to walk across this guy's lawn and mess it up, that'd be mean... come on, let's go somewhere else and shoot the guy for no reason"

  14. #43
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,119
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    However, the actual basis of his lawsuit is silly.
    Yup.

    There's a reason why castle walls were made 50ft high. Why? Because a 1ft wall would only serve notice that something inside was deemed valuable from seizure.

    There's a reason why castle moats were made more than 5ft across. Why? Because anything less than 30ft with high banks wouldn't provide any sort of actual, physical deterrence at all.

    There's a reason why a secure compound has armed guards. Why? Because no amount of fencing, walls, photos being taken, nor fancy alarm systems are going to catch everything at all times. Because a determined criminal is going to get past an unprotected hurdle, when only the hurdle is laying there.

    Lacking a hired force of armed guards, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that one must be one's own armed guard instead? Sure. That's the point that Mr. Blame Others fails to understand. Though, his jury of "peers" is likely going to understand his point of view and see that as justification for a ludicrous penalty of blame against the defendants in the case. Ridiculous in all ways. The citizen owed it to himself to protect himself. Layers matter. Any one layer can fail, or be out for awhile, or not end up being the deterrent one assumes it will be. Duh.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  15. #44
    Senior Member Array cwblanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    hmmm, I've never got that feeling when on calls in them
    That's because we are not in your jurisdiction, and have a 24/7 gate guard. The other access is to climb down a canyon wall at our shooting range.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

  16. #45
    Senior Member Array cwblanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I don't live in a community. I live out in the sticks. The only neighbors I have are animals.The only gates around here are cattle gates. Other than coyotes howling,crows yacking,hawks screaming, and an occasional moo,its nice and quiet like.
    Yes, the coyotes howling from the upper bluffs create music to sleep by. We do not kill off our coyotes because they help control the excess number of deer which are always in the way.

    I do respond to the only gated community in this area. Most of the people there are overeducated yuppies and soccer moms that live in a fantasy land. Bad things can't happen there, because, hey, we live in a gated community and and the houses are expensive.
    Yep, we have our share of overeducated folks, such as surgeons, enginers, chemists, and retired military (probably at your expense while they were on active duty).

    As far as soccer moms, no one seems to want to live here until the kids are grown.

    Most of the people there have some serious arsenals of golf clubs and the only thing that they stock is in the cupboard at the bar.
    Most of our gated folks, including wives, have CHL permits and serious arsenals of all kinds of guns and ammo. When ammo gets too scare, we sometimes have to resort to those lowly golf games. Otherwise, it is mandatory shooting range fix up duty.

    I must admit, it can be rather amusing.
    You certainly have that correct.

    There may be a few people in there with a clue. When the SHTF, they'll be fighting off their clueless neighbors.
    I think that we will be able hold off those clueless sheep outside of the gate and cliff walls until the storm subsides. Of course the long range semi-auto rifles do seem to present an advantage. On the other hand, if you are talking about a major nuclear winter, I don't think that there will be anyone around to worry about.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Breaking news: "Violence can happen anywhere. Criminals live everywhere." -- CNN
    By Coder in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: November 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
  2. Good: School shooting that didn't happen.
    By JohnK87 in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: April 12th, 2010, 11:36 PM
  3. Still think you live rural enough that it won't happen to you?
    By tiwee in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: October 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
  4. If you live in Arizona, This is good!!!
    By Pure Kustom in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM
  5. It's Good to Live in Texas
    By Cosmo in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Search tags for this page

gated communit tenant broke gate hoa responsible
,
gated communities good or bad
,
gated community tenant broke gate hoa responsible
,
good gaed
,

marquette weaver

,
marquette weaver four maples
,
marquette weaver lawsuit
,
marquette weaver shot
,
resident sues hoa
,
resident sues home owners association for home invasion, gated community
,
walled communities good bad
Click on a term to search for related topics.