Can't happen here, we live in a good gated community

This is a discussion on Can't happen here, we live in a good gated community within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by cwblanco That's because we are not in your jurisdiction, and have a 24/7 gate guard. The other access is to climb down ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can't happen here, we live in a good gated community

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    That's because we are not in your jurisdiction, and have a 24/7 gate guard. The other access is to climb down a canyon wall at our shooting range.
    I know exactly what you're talking about, been out there many times, though not on calls, been to range there too
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

My in laws live in a gated community. I get a kick out of it when I visit. They have 2 of their own cops inside the community all the time. I have to stop at the gate and show my "card" or be called in by my family if I don't have my card on me. The person working the gate is usually a woman in her 20's. Houses are all surrounding a VERY large lake. I think lakefront ranges from 250k for a bare lot on the side of a hill. Some of the houses are very nice but it just isn't my scene. Oh by the way the speed limit is like 25 and it takes forever to get anywhere.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I don't live in a gated community and have no intensions of ever doing so. I feel that gated communities are nothing but a criminal magnet, as is the case with most upscale communities.
    While the GC did not maintain the gate as they should have, it is still an individual responsibility to use the brains God gave us.
    A friend of mine moved about a year ago, he was concerned about the crime in the Eastside Detroit suburb he had been living in, so he moved to a nice waterfront home in a suburb a little ways north. Oh sure it's a nice house, recently remodeled and loaded with nice yuppie style ammenities. A little over a month ago there was a bank robbery nearby, where the BG attempted to take a young woman hostage(same BG who also carjacked and murdered a young man, and attemped two other carjackings in a 6 day crime spree). My friend is now worried that other crimes might occur in his "perfectly safe neighborhood" and he is thinking that he should move to a more upscale area. He really is a nice guy, but sadly not the brightest crayon in the box. He even bought a XD-M for personal protection, but mind you he has never fired it or even bought any ammo for it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Wow... what do you say to a friend like that Rugergirl? Pretty scary, eh?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Wow... what do you say to a friend like that Rugergirl? Pretty scary, eh?
    Well I have offered to take him to the range and get him accquaited with it.
    He thought taking a CPL class might be a good idea too, but that was a few months ago. Somehow the idea of personal safety has slipped down his priority list. Too many parties to attend that are keeping him to busy, but such is youth.
    He has mentioned that due to his uhm, sexual orientation, he does feel that he might be more of a target for crime, but just hasn't gotten motivated enough to take any steps to protect himself.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    but just hasn't gotten motivated enough to take any steps to protect himself.

Such the mental of my best friends...they smirk or turn a nose up at the fact that I think I should have to carry a gun.

Rugergirl,

Well it would hurt when he threw the XD-M at them and said "oh, stop that now".

Might even be enough to make the BG fall down and start laughing so hard the attack would cease.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I am very happy in my gated community. We have one way in and two ways out. We have a guard at the gate 24/7 to check IDs of anyone that that does not have the RFID tag to open the gate automatically. Of course anyone could scale the wall if they really wanted to, but why should they? There is a community across the street from ours with similar houses that is wide open. The one behind the elementary school right across the bayou has no gates, fences or walls. Houses were built by the same builder that did my neighborhood. There are other gated communities near by with bigger houses, higher walls and no guards at the gates, just card readers and call boxes.

A wall of a fence or a lock will not stop a professional. In many cases they are not intended to. All they have to do is make one property require more effort than a similar one for the same reward. If we are being chased by an angry bear, I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun you!

As far as the lawsuit goes, I am all for it. If he was paying for a functioning security gate and they can't show a valid reason for it taking so long for it to be repaired, they should pay. When our gate went down because of a failure of the magnetic field coil, they had guys with jack hammers tearing up the street to replace it within twenty four hours. If they want to show that the non functioning gate was not a contributing factor to the situation, all they would have to do (IMHO) is show how many shootings they had in the community while the gate was working.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I think he has a leg to stand on.

Not to say nor imply (!) that the HOA is responsible for his security and safety as at his home.
    Nor to say nor imply (!) that criminals cannot otherwise bypass gates be it climb over, drive through, tunnel under, land via para-glider or whatever.

But fact is if the gate was broken and allowed to go unrepaired for as long, which is unreasonable, and thus travel through the gate and into the community was left unchecked...AND...the HOA docs state that the gate would be managed and kept in good repair and it was as stated not done so, then I'd say he has a viable grievance.

Think what you want about gated communities.
    But the bottom line is that they either state or imply security by way of being guarded and/or gated at their entry/exit points.
    To have a non-functional gate is effectively breach of contract and it also is seen as an active invitation to criminals as they notice the normally closed & secure door is now broken and propped open.

There is no blame here.
    And as to taking responsibility the HOA has taken on a responsibility which they actively shirked.

Frankly, if I were this homeowner I'd likely sue for breach of contract if not name them complicit in my losses/damages too.

- Janq specifically chooses to _not_ live in nor amongst gated communities, which are nothing but a come rob me indicator of status

Man this about sums it up

WASHINGTON DIDíNT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Frankly, if I were this homeowner I'd likely sue for breach of contract if not name them complicit in my losses/damages too.

HOA participation is notoriously shirked by people, despite the obvious reality that it's in everyone's own best interests to participate in their own "governance."

Interesting how all of a sudden a person gets motivated when the reality of a non-protection device like a gate becomes a "news" item. If a person feels so motivated to get something done, then perhaps participating in the HOA should be the first, effective step. Nah ... too much work. At least, I'd bet the plaintiff would think so.

Funny, though. Suing over losses allegedly stemming from lack of protection expected from such an ineffective device seems such a pointless endeavor. As folks have rightly pointed out, gates are more of an criminal attractant than anything, working or not. So suing oneself doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Better to install proper security, if one wants such a thing; or move to a place that has already put something worthwhile in place, if one wants it handed on a silver plate. Either would be a better choice than to blame our collective selves (the HOA) for something the fence can't do, operating or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I am very happy in my gated community. We have one way in and two ways out. We have a guard at the gate 24/7 to check IDs of anyone that that does not have the RFID tag to open the gate automatically. Of course anyone could scale the wall if they really wanted to, but why should they? There is a community across the street from ours with similar houses that is wide open. The one behind the elementary school right across the bayou has no gates, fences or walls. Houses were built by the same builder that did my neighborhood. There are other gated communities near by with bigger houses, higher walls and no guards at the gates, just card readers and call boxes.

A wall of a fence or a lock will not stop a professional. In many cases they are not intended to. All they have to do is make one property require more effort than a similar one for the same reward. If we are being chased by an angry bear, I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun you!

As far as the lawsuit goes, I am all for it. If he was paying for a functioning security gate and they can't show a valid reason for it taking so long for it to be repaired, they should pay. When our gate went down because of a failure of the magnetic field coil, they had guys with jack hammers tearing up the street to replace it within twenty four hours. If they want to show that the non functioning gate was not a contributing factor to the situation, all they would have to do (IMHO) is show how many shootings they had in the community while the gate was working.

I tend to agree with you. The people who think that a gated community is designed to protect everyone from everything are the same ones who believe that carrying a gun will solve every problem. Limiting access to one's neighborhood is simply one additional step in a layered approach to self protection. Will a gate, guards, and a wall keep everyone out? Of course not. But they will significantly reduce the number of people who can get in (especially with a vehicle) who should not, and that's a good thing.

Then again, I suppose I could choose to live in a cardboard box so as not to "advertise my status", but I have to admit, my family enjoys the fruits that come from our effort and hard work.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links