BAD: Dog attack - Page 2

BAD: Dog attack

This is a discussion on BAD: Dog attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by woodust I know that way too many people are afraid of pitbulls and thats too bad. but to the people who hate ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Dog attack

Quote Originally Posted by woodust View Post
    I know that way too many people are afraid of pitbulls and thats too bad.
    but to the people who hate the just because they are pitbulls,...ignorence is bliss
    and the ones who say they will shoot a pitbull if it starts after them,as a pitbull owner,and a ccw carrier,you WILL answer to my .45
    if you draw on my dog.
    Woodust,

With respect, because I know that you can't possibly mean your post the way you have worded it, if your pitbull attacks me and I am fearful of serious bodily harm, I will defend myself by shooting it.

And, if your reaction to my defending myself to a life threatening attack by your dog would be to force me to "answer your .45" I can only that hope that my training, reflexes and instincts allow me to prevail. Man, I really hope you didn't mean what you wrote. That would be a scary attitude for a ccw carrying person to have.

Regards, Quiet1
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet1 View Post
    Woodust,

With respect, because I know that you can't possibly mean your post the way you have worded it, if your pitbull attacks me and I am fearful of serious bodily harm, I will defend myself by shooting it.

And, if your reaction to my defending myself to a life threatening attack by your dog would be to force me to "answer your .45" I can only that hope that my training, reflexes and instincts allow me to prevail. Man, I really hope you didn't mean what you wrote. That would be a scary attitude for a ccw carrying person to have.

Regards, Quiet1
    +1 and 1911 more
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Oh geeez..... I saw a woman this weekend who did the same thing, stuck her hand into the middle of a dog fight and got stitches in her hand as a result.
    Those chiguaha's sure are vicious suckers. Another was Dachsunds that I saw at the Vet's office.

LMAO. It can happen with all dogs when the "leader" is in question. ALPHA dog is challenged, ever heard of it ?? Has nothing to do with Pitbulls, other than they are a dog too.

I've broken up dog fights with some rather large dogs, smaller dogs, etc. and never been attacked nor hurt. But, don't stick your hands in there unless you
    1) want to get hurt, or 2) grab one by the side of the head and raise them into the air to let them know... who's boss and alpha today. I've picked up some 100+ lb dogs that way and funny, they were docile really quick.

Maybe it was my voice and the look in my eye... but you have to assert yourself as the Alpha and their concern better be you kicking a@#$. It works, but you can't be faking it either, they'll know.

"oh honey... please stop that" ... ain't going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet1 View Post
    Woodust,

Regards, Quiet1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    +1 and 1911 more
    +2 and I AM a pitbull owner. That kind of talk is sheer idiocy. Hopefully woodust is all full of and vinegar...or doesn't own any firearms
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sorry all,Just gets me very upset when i hear people seemingly anxious to shoot a pitbull just because of it's breed. Blame the deed,not the breed!
    Funny how you never hear about all the poodles that bite kids.
    Also,Large breed dogs are often grouped together by the news media."woman attacked by dog" etc. if they don't know the breed for some reason,they usually just claim it was a pit, more... "newsworthy" that way.

I have to add to Woodust's comment.

I've heard too many people say on here, that if a dog barks at them .... they would pull their gun and be ready to shoot the dog. I've seen people on here voice some strong fears of dogs. That's not my issue, it's theirs. In this type of case, I would defend my dog....

Secondly, IF ... my dog barks at or attacks someone, I will guarantee you that it isn't because they are some innocent bystander walking down the street .... but someone who started the attack or was breaking into my house, and I would have probably would have already drawn on them before the dog ever did anything. If she attacked them, it would be because they tried to attack me or her, and / or were very unwelcome when they entered my domicile in the middle of the night.

Her bark, is to alert me... the rest, is up to me. Draw on her for doing her job, and there would be a problem.

And no, she's not a pitbull. That specific enough ?

I understand his comment, some folks have voiced rather strongly.... an instant reaction to pull a gun on about any dog, no matter what. To pull a gun just because it's a pitbull around, is about as niave. And, sticking one's hand in the middle of a dog fight is purely stupid.

Ok I'm a dog lover.. I own an English Bulldog. People have actually told me she was dangerous because she was part "Pit" LOL

Now in the past I have owned APBT dogs. I have never had an attack or any non reasonable people aggressive behavior. I will state there are many kinds of pits today. There are real pits and "ghetto" pits. Forgive my use of the term as I don't mean it in a bad way but that's the only way I can describe them. They are raised by thugs and shown off as attackers. My dog is meaner than yours blah blah blah. They are inbred to maintain traits. Line breeding is a fancy way to say inbred. The gene pool is very shallow. There are also so many mixes today I can't keep up. Sooner or later they become a hazard. Many attack cases can be traced right back to the owners,regardless of the breed. Responsible owners should have property, liability insurance and safeguards.

I AM NOT for breed specific legislation. To put in in human terms it's racism for dogs. I AM for stiff penalties for stupid owners.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by tapout1003 View Post
    ...Responsible owners should have property, liability insurance and safeguards...

...I AM for stiff penalties for stupid owners.
    Problem is, 9 times out of 10 you're stuck with a couple hundred thousand dollars or more, worth of medical bills including the plastic reconstructive surgery, and the owners of the dog don't have a friggon dime to recover any civil damages from.

What good is a judgment in court if you can't get any money out of the dog owner!

Ask them if they have any insurance and they laugh at you.... Insurance? What's that?

Stiff penalties for irresponsible owners? Ok, say it cost $25,000/yr to house an inmate for one year in prison. Then give them one year in prison for every $25,000 in medical bills.

So, the dog attack cost the victim $300,000 in medical bills and the dog owner doesn't have insurance? That equates to 12 years in prison for the dog owner!

I'll go for that! As a start! Of course, we all know that will never happen.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The media plays a huge role in which case of injury by dog you here about, just like which gun related stories you here. If a pit or insert any large breed name here is involved it will be plastered all over. For one being mauled by a toy poodle doesn't raise the sensationalism for viewers as the large breed. Many of those attacks probably go unreported due to the fact that the severity of injury is not as great.

Growing up I can remember other breeds that were today's pits and rotts. Many if not most dogs do not receive proper socialization training right from a puppy, not their fault they can't enroll themselves in school or make their owners take responsibility.

There is much more to being a good pet owner than bringing your puppy home and giving it food and water, each breed is very specific in it's needs and training.

I see ignorant rott owners all the time and say to myself there is a bad story waiting to happen and the dogs will be to blame when it's told. Humans chose to domesticate dogs for their own pleasure and some of these so called humans have chosen to undomesticate them for bad intent. When these bloodlines cross who's fault is it?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    There are many responsible animal lovers such as Maverick7340. People like Maverick that volunteer in animal shelters could safely raise and keep any variety of bull terrier. However, some people are not so safe and responsible.

When people choose to live in an incorporated area such as a city, they accept they are going to be living in close proximity with others. Living in close proximity results in a need to strike a balance between the health/safety of the many vs the rights of individuals.

In this balancing act, one action banned in our little town is discharging firearms. Most residents do not have a safe place to shoot, so this is widely accepted. I am directly impacted however, since I do have a safe place for shooting. I have the choice of moving to the county or living with the city ordinance. I choose to live with the city ordinance. I understand they cannot make an exception for me no matter how safe and responsible I may be. I do have the option of going to the range in the county to exercise my guns.

Another ordinance eliminates possession of the bull terrier breeds of a dog. This includes any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds of the bull terriers, Stafford-shire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Stafford-shire terrier, and any other breed commonly known as pit bulls, pit bull dogs or pit bull terriers; or a combination of any of these breeds. This adversely affects responsible dog owners, but like me, they have the option to move to the county. Until then, they have more than one hundred breeds and an infinite number of mixed animals to choose as pets, working dogs, guard dogs, etc that are allowed in the city.

Arrow

I've heard that water from a hose is a great way to stop a dog attack, what was this nurse thinking of when she got into the middle of the situation?

Never....I mean never attempt to break up a dog fight or step in the middle of one. That would be just plain crazy no matter who you are.

Ps 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Give me liberty or give me death!!
    -Patrick Henry

Can (some) of you hear how this thread is ringing similarly of the same tired BS (assault weapons, cop killer bullets, large capacity magazines...etc etc) except recast in the terms of breed specific issues?

This is the same approach that has been used to enact overreaching laws that do little to prevent/reduce crime for years.

Do I think everyone should or is qualified/prepared to train and care for a Dog (any breed)? Absolutely not. No more than I think everyone is quialified/prepared to own/use a weapon.

just my $0.02
    I guess I expected better from a community under public scrutiny such as the CCW crowd.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    That right there is the point. A pits instinct is to NOT attack a person. That was specifically bred out of them. What other arguments do you have? I can refute any except the dog-aggressive behavior. Pits were specifically bred to be docile and people friendly. A Pit that is not people friendly to a fault is either inbred, abused, or terrified.

Pet Pit Bull - Breed Information

"Much of a dog's temperament relates to its breed history and genetic inheritance. I won't go too deep into the history of the Pit Bull as there are many good books and websites that cover the origin and history of the breed. It is common knowledge however, that the Pit Bull breed was developed for blood sports: Bull baiting, bear baiting, and later, dogfighting. What is not common knowledge is that in the days of organized dogfighting, the handlers of the combatants were habitually IN THE PIT with the dogs for the duration of the fight? They were required to pick up and separate the dogs several times while the dogs were in full fight frenzy. Before the fight, the handlers were required to wash each other's dogs, and after the fight, the badly injured dogs were often treated at ringside by strangers. Any dog that attacked or bit a handler (even if it was the other dog's handler) or anyone else at any time was culled, often on the spot, and would never have been bred. "
    None of this matters, the fact is when these dogs do bite or attack they don't stop. Sure any dog will bite if provoked or frightened. But Pit Bulls will kill or seriously harm what/whoever they bite. And yes, I know all about how it's not the dogs fault, and sure I've been bitten and even attacked by dogs. But I was never in fear of my life when this happened. Scarred, yes. But never in fear of my life.

Now I'm surely not an expert on dog behavior, but it doesn't take an expert to know what happens when these dogs do decide to bite and attack. And all one needs to do is view the endless number of videos and cable network specials profiling these vicious animals attacking other people and animals to see why these dogs have such a deservedly bad reputation.

We are dog owners and pet lovers, but I would never own an animal that could with little or no effort knock over a small child grab him/her by the neck and with one or two shakes or with one bite crush its throat and kill that child. And I would bet if you ask any of the parents who lost a child or loved one to these vicious animals they probably now feel the same.

Just my .02 cents.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

so if the news media and internet would show lots and lots of "poodle bites kid" footage
    would they also have a deservedly bad reputation?

Quote Originally Posted by 1980Maico440 View Post
    Can (some) of you hear how this thread is ringing similarly of the same tired BS (assault weapons, cop killer bullets, large capacity magazines...etc etc) except recast in the terms of breed specific issues?

This is the same approach that has been used to enact overreaching laws that do little to prevent/reduce crime for years.

Do I think everyone should or is qualified/prepared to train and care for a Dog (any breed)? Absolutely not. No more than I think everyone is quialified/prepared to own/use a weapon.

just my $0.02
    I guess I expected better from a community under public scrutiny such as the CCW crowd.
    +1 A good analogy.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links