Cops Episode - CCW Holder Shoots Attacker, Gets Arrested

This is a discussion on Cops Episode - CCW Holder Shoots Attacker, Gets Arrested within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Did anyone see the episode of Cops last night (Saturday 9/19/09, episode 2205)? A Las Vegas man was playing ping pong at his apartment with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cops Episode - CCW Holder Shoots Attacker, Gets Arrested

Did anyone see the episode of Cops last night (Saturday 9/19/09, episode 2205)?

A Las Vegas man was playing ping pong at his apartment with his roommate's friends, at one point he asked them to leave, they didn't, a fight ensued and he ended up shooting one of them in the arm and stomach. Everyone involved appeared to have been drinking. The resident was arrested for attempted murder. He had a bloody nose and busted lip.

I'm not sure if this was a clean shoot or not. It definately isn't cut and dry. He was in his own residence, but it's not like this was a midnight intruder. Also, there was no disparity of force and the attacker had no weapon. It kind of looks like mutual combat, but when the resident started to lose he shot the guy.

I've searched online and can't find any follow up to it and it wasn't covered at all in the local media.

Anyone see it? Your thoughts and opinions?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The persons asked to leave were trespassing when they refused to do so. You can't shoot someone for trespassing which is only a petty misdemeanor. Being intoxicated, he may have violated other laws depending on that particular state.
    Considering the circumstances though, I would have charged the others with trespassing and assault and battery.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I think one of the big issues is where was the roommate? If the roommate has invited them in and is still there I don't think you could make a trespassing charge stick on them unless he also told them to leave.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Also the law is a little more forgiving if you are armed and drunk in your own home.

Still a poor decision to shoot your way out of a fistfight unless there are mitigating circumstances. Even then good luck with the courts.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Drinking while carrying is a bad idea. I don't care where you are, whether it's technically legal, or how many times you've gotten away with it; it's just a bad idea. That's the hard part of growing up: understanding the definition of words like "discretion" and "prudence."
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I saw that, yeah. 40 something dude was beat up by the 20 something dude and shot him 3 times. 2 in the stomach, 1 in the arm.

What was really irritating is the ignorant cops:
    Cop: "Why were you carrying a gun?"
    guy: "I have a permit to do so."
    Cop: Okay, but why were you carrying a gun?"
    guy: "I always carry my gun. I have a permit to do so."
    Cop: So you were expecting trouble? Thought you might get into a fight...

and around and around we go...No one but a cop is entitled to carry a gun apparently, permit or no.

JumpWing: It is fine that as soon as you have 1 beer in your own home you don't trust yourself with a gun. I personally keep mine on the coffee table or sitting on the mantel while I play pool and enjoy my beer.

And this is why I don't drink anymore - ever. Takes that aspect out of the equation.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Drinking while carrying is a bad idea. I don't care where you are, whether it's technically legal, or how many times you've gotten away with it; it's just a bad idea.
    I'd be willing to bet that the drinking/carousing is a good part of why the guy was arrested. Whether it'll go to full charges that stick and a trial that convicts is something else. But, as you say, the drinking didn't help.

I wonder ... If faced with someone who won't eject, and if drinking has been a part of it, whether the smarter thing wouldn't be to exit, call for police assistance to eject a visitor who refuses to leave the premises, and avoid the heated exchange. At least, if alcohol is avoided, it takes one of the nails in the coffin away from the DA in the event that things blow sideways.

As for that sort of situation, I've been there previously. Once, an acquaintance from school got ornery at a party. There was a bit of drinking going on, but he was known for going overboard. Well, he trained his sights on me, that night. He was ~50 lbs heavier, 5" taller, a wrestling champ, and a mean drunk. I switched gears, played the chum along with his other chums, then got the hell out of there. This was prior to my thinking more highly of my security, back when I went to suspect "parties" such as this. I exited. Had he followed me outside the house, I was ill-prepared to survive any violence by him, strong as he was, aside from some rusty unfair tactics I would have used. But the point is that the method of "tucking tail and running" helped defuse the bomb that was brewing in his head. Most important of all, it kept me safe.

Unknown if something like that could have worked here, which instead resulted in him shooting a guest.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I watched the Tivo episode since I was out of town Saturday,The guy will probably be found to be justified,the guy was asked to leave and then attacked the homeowner, and home owner had proof from his bloodied face,bad guy was shot with a keltec PF9 9mm 1 shot by the belly button and one in the arm and he was walking down the street like he wasn't even hit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Call the cops and tell them them that some guys are trespassing and you need them to leave. You don't shoot them for trespassing.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Call the cops and tell them them that some guys are trespassing and you need them to leave. You don't shoot them for trespassing.
    What about for beating you in your home after asking them to leave?

I just saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    What about for beating you in your home after asking them to leave?
    Being beaten definitely changes the situation and your self-defense claim.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I saw that episode too.
    I was angry at the "officer's" question also.

I don't know all the facts, but its possible the guy can claim self defense. What I heard him say was that two of them kept punching him in the face, after he told them to leave, and after pointing the gun at them. They kept hitting him.

Of course, it will depend upon other witnesses if there were any.

He was arrested, nonetheless, and charged with the shooting, and will go to trial.

That whole situation is bad all the way around....

Alcohol + guns + fighting = bad consequences.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Exactly!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links