Lasers and guns, dont aim at aircraft

This is a discussion on Lasers and guns, dont aim at aircraft within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man Accused Of Pointing Laser At Medical Helicopter Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:20 PM Print Story E-mail Story COLUMBUS, Ohio Police said that they ...

Thread: Lasers and guns, dont aim at aircraft

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Man Accused Of Pointing Laser At Medical Helicopter
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:20 PM
    Print Story
    E-mail Story
    COLUMBUS, Ohio Police said that they arrested and charged a Columbus man early Sunday after he allegedly pointed a laser at a medical helicopter that had just lifted off from Grant Medical Center.

Jared T. Shapiro, 22, was charged with interfering with operation of aircraft with a laser, which is a felony, police said.

The incident took place at about 2:40 a.m.

According to investigators, the Toledo-based helicopter just lifted off from Grant Medical Center when the pilot reported a green laser being pointed directly into his cockpit.

The pilot then returned to the hospital and was struck again by the laser beam, police said. According to investigators, a Columbus police helicopter that was dispatched to the scene was also struck by the laser.

Police said that their chopper coordinated with officers on the ground and found Shapiro with the laser, attached to a high-powered rifle.

Last week, two men were charged with pointing a laser at an airplane that was preparing to land at Port Columbus International Airport.

The pilot of an American Eagle commercial airplane reported seeing a red light in the cockpit late Monday night as the plane made its final approach to the airport.

According to police, the pilot notified the air traffic control tower and someone at the airport called authorities.

Stay with 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

WBNS 10TV : Man Accused Of Pointing Laser At Medical Helicopter - WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio's News Leader
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Get ready for "Laser Control" legislation.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

A laser attached to a high powered rifle? Pointed at an aircraft?
    This action just begs for a long term vacation...what a maroooon!

Hey Jared,
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wonder, since he aimed it at a police helicopter, could he be charged with assult on a police officer, since an officer is flying/observing (not sure how they do it there, and its only the next county over).

They need to arm those with rockets, that way if they are aimed at, they can take action to be protected from the threat.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Hey Jared,
    +1
    What will his excuse be i wonder, since he forgot to take the laser off the rifle
    I also wonder if it was loaded or not
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Geez, we need a "shaking head" icon.
    You truly can't fix stupid.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Sadly, these laser pointing incidents happen all too frequently involving PASSENGER aircraft as well.

Don't know what these idiots are thinking, but IMO, they should be charged criminally. The idea of personal responsibility should not be forgotten.

As for 'laser legislation'....the federal criminal code to impose a fine or prison term of up to 5 years for any person who knowingly aims the beam of a laser pointer at an aircraft or its flight path is Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 39A, Aiming a Laser Pointer at an Aircraft.

Also malicious use of lasers to interfere with aircraft can be prosecuted under the provisions of Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 32, Interfering with Flight Crews, or under the Patriot Act (P.L. 107-56) section pertaining to acts of violence directed against mass transportation systems.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Do military aircraft have sensors to detect laser aiming systems? OT but just curious...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That happened in Cali a few years back and they busted the guy with a bunch of drugs and illegal weapons and all.. Dude said he was bored and pointed his laser at the wrong plane.. I think it was a LEO chopper he pointed it at... Stupid people.. Glad they caught him.. LOL

Sad part is, if they were flying-in a big batch of Stupid Vaccine, he'd likely aim at that plane too!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Hey Jared,
    Absolutely. It amazes me what some people this is fun. We've had a lot of this at the airport here in Romulus in past years. But, you don't hear about it so much anymore. I hope they make it really painful for him for his stupidity.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Update on the story. His bond was set at $50,000, he is a biology major at The Ohio State University and is a senior there.

Man Accused Of Pointing A Laser At Choppers Gets $50K Bond | NBC4i.com

By Patrick Preston
    Investigative, Political Reporter
    Published: September 20, 2009

COLUMBUS, Ohio—A Columbus man was taken into custody early Sunday morning after he allegedly interfered with the operation of both a medical-transport helicopter and a police chopper by aiming a powerful green laser into the cockpit.

The pilot of a Life Flight helicopter lifting off from Grant Medical Center in downtown Columbus early Sunday morning failed to find the humor in a laser beam shining into his cockpit.

The pilot of a Columbus Police helicopter did not appreciate it when it happened to them a few minutes later.

Now 22-year-old Jared Shapiro of Columbus is charged with two felony counts of interfering with the operation of an aircraft with a laser.

Police arrested Shapiro at his apartment on South Third Street Sunday morning.

Authorities said they found the laser attached to a high-powered rifle.

It’s the second laser incident in Central Ohio in the past week.

Shapiro was arraigned Monday morning and given a $50,000 cash surety bond. His next court date was set for 10 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 30.

After the incidents, pilot circles are not sure how they feel.

Chopper 4 Pilot Spencer Hardin had a close call with a laser pointer last year.

“(I) wasn’t expecting it and (the) cockpit glowed bright red. Luckily, it was only a split second,“ Hardin said.

But the incident was enough to get Hardin’s attention. He said he knows from training what kind of damage laser pointers can cause. A second or two longer could have meant a total loss of control and tragedy.

“If you get hit and (you’re) not ready, you see two or three minutes worth of red, blue, green blobs in front of you,“ Hardin said.

For additional information, stay with NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com—Where Accuracy Matters.
    To submit a story idea or news tip, e-mail stories@nbc4i.com .
    MORE: NBC 4 Local News | Local Crime News
    NBC 4 SPORTS: Sports News, Video
    NBC 4 POLITICS: Headlines, Interactives & Video
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Sponsored Links