BAD: Mother and Five Small Children Killed

This is a discussion on BAD: Mother and Five Small Children Killed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened in Naples Fl in a Gated Community!!! Police: 'Person of Interest' in Multiple Florida Murders Fled to Haiti - Local News | News ...

Thread: BAD: Mother and Five Small Children Killed

BAD: Mother and Five Small Children Killed

This happened in Naples Fl in a Gated Community!!!

Police: 'Person of Interest' in Multiple Florida Murders Fled to Haiti - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

A mother and her five young children were found dead inside a Florida apartment Saturday and authorities are calling the woman’s husband a "person of interest" in the killings.

The bodies of Guerline Damas, 32, along with her five children — ranging in age from 11 months to 9 years — were found inside a Naples, Fla., apartment complex at 6 p.m. Saturday, according to investigators.

Police launched a massive manhunt late Saturday for Damas' husband, Mesac, who they say drove to Miami International Airport on Friday morning and boarded a flight to Haiti. Damas reportedly has family from Haiti.

Collier County Sheriff Kevin Rambosk called the homicides "the worst of the worst."

"In no uncertain terms this is the most horrific and violent event this community has ever experienced,'' he said during a press conference with reporters on Sunday.

Family members contacted authorities Thursday saying they hadn't heard from the mother. A missing person report was filed the next day, and on Saturday, the sheriff's office entered the home in a gated community in Naples and found the bodies, Collier County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Michelle Batten said.

Authorities say Damas left Miller's Ale House in Naples, where he worked as a cook, Thursday night. He arrived at the Miami airport Friday morning and boarded a flight to Haiti. His car was found at the airport and had been secured by investigators who are checking it for evidence.

The man's father, Jean Damas Sr., told the Naples Daily News on Sunday that his son had called his brother from Haiti. Damas Sr. also said his son and his wife have had domestic problems. A phone message left Sunday by the Associated Press for Damas Sr. was not immediately returned.

Records on the Collier County Clerk of Courts Web site reportedly show Damas has prior arrests for domestic violence.

Here is another link with more info:

VIDEO/PHOTOS: Search for suspect in slaying of 5 kids, wife spans two countries Naples Daily News
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

2. Remove Ads

It's pretty bad when you have to defend yourself from a deranged spouse, but in those cases, the victims are usually in a bad situation without means to defend themselves.

Also, if the nut job still lives in the home at the time, often there are no guns available to the potential victims to use. Usually the abuser has control of all guns in the home.

Now, in the case where the abuser has been "put out" of the home, either by court order or just voluntarily, and still remains a threat, the first thing the potential victims should do is to get a firearm as soon as possible and learn how to use it.

Sadly, it is rarely the case that the potential victims have the wherewithal to get a gun in order to protect themselves. Some do... but most don't and so, we continue to have these tragic and horrible scenes several times a year.

The bottom line is... peace bonds, Ex parte's, restraining orders and orders of protection as well as measures like changing the locks do nothing to stop a determined nut job who intends to inflict harm. You still have to be able to defend yourself. And maybe more importantly willing to defend yourself against a one time husband or cohabitant.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Killing his own five children aged 11 months to 9 years?
    This guy deserves a slow, painful death...maybe he'll find it in Haiti...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I hope we have an extradition treaty with Haiti. Just in case the locals don't fix him first (preferred).
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

We don't know yet that he did it,.. I hope he didn't,.. That is really sad,. :-(

Police launched a massive manhunt late Saturday for Damas' husband, Mesac, who they say drove to Miami International Airport on Friday morning and boarded a flight to Haiti. Damas reportedly has family from Haiti.
    It's entirely possible that hubby did the deed. I'm sure there will be some further physical evidence tying the crime to the criminal.

If it was him ... I wonder if she knew he was on the edge and they were all at-risk.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's entirely possible that hubby did the deed. I'm sure there will be some further physical evidence tying the crime to the criminal.
    I agree. His own father stated that he thinks he did it although he is quoted as saying that his daughter-in-law was disrespectful to her husband (his son). As if that somehow justifies it.

Its just a sad situation all the way around. And, if he didn't do it, he sure is acting like a guilty man. How do you get off work and take a plane to Haiti and your entire family is laying dead in your home.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    How do you get off work and take a plane to Haiti [when] your entire family is laying dead in your home.
    Pretty easily, if you're trying to avoid justice. Under those circumstances, fleeing to a relatively lawless place makes sense.

What a mess. A waste, for the kids. Five kids erased. Sad.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Update: They Got Him!!!

Some reports say he confessed. I'm just glad they got him.

Mesac Damas confesses to killing family
    Posted: Sep 23, 2009 5:43 AM EDT
    Updated: Sep 23, 2009 05:43 AM EDT

COLLIER COUNTY: The man charged with killing his wife and five children last week is in the medical housing unit of the Collier County Jail.

The newly released arrest warrant states Mesac Damas stabbed and slit the throats of his wife Guerline and their five children sometime between September 17th and 18th.

The six bodies were discovered in the couple's rented townhouse on Saturday night.

Damas confessed publicly Tuesday to the murders to a reporter with the Naples Daily News while in Haiti.

Damas is on suicide watch in the medical unit of the jail.

Damas waived his first hearing.

Members of the Haitian community and the victim's advocate in the courtroom were disappointed Damas chose not to appear.

"The shelter will be here for every single hearing and we'll be here for the arraignment, and we feel we need to follow this case to the end," said Linda Oberhaus, Shelter for Abused Women and Children.

The victim's sister thinks Damas is only trying to set up an insanity defense. She says he tried to kill her sister before and Damas knew exactly what he was doing.

"He's lying, he's lying," said Adeline Payen-Dieu, Guerlain's sister.

Damas is scheduled for arraignment on October 19th.

Damas' public defender says he will enter a not guilty plea for Damas over concerns about his mental state at the time of the murders.
    DM2

pax
    I've always felt that a suicide watch is a bad idea in cases like this. If he wants to save the rest of us the cost of putting on a trial, why stop him?

As for the rest, it seems to me that any honest assessment of women's self-defense options has to take into account the relatively higher likelihood that a woman who needs to defend herself is just as likely -- if not more likely -- to be facing down someone she once loved as she is to be dealing with a stranger.

Could you shoot the person you'd been married to for 20 years? If not, what would it take to get you to that point? How extreme would the situation have to become before armed self defense seemed a sensible and reasonable option against someone you used to love? (Of course if you threaten the kids directly, every mom turns into a tiger. But do you think these types of "men" don't know that? What better way to keep her calm than to promise that the children will be safe, no matter what? Or to say that the kids will be killed if she doesn't cooperate? Either way, use the kids against her, to keep her from fighting back. Once she has been lulled and then killed, the man can then go after the kids who no longer have anyone to protect them... )

It's a thorny problem, and just telling women in these types of situations that they need to arm themselves really isn't enough. If they are not prepared to kill a man they once loved, simply having a gun available to them isn't going to do them any good at all. The need goes deeper than that, especially for a woman who stayed in a dangerous relationship for any length of time: she needs time to heal, time to find - or grow - her own backbone, time to realize that her life is valuable, before she would ever be able to defend herself as vigorously as she must in order to survive. But time is precisely what she will never have...

What a tragedy. What a horrible, ugly, infuriating tragedy. I hope the 3 year old pulls through.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    I've always felt that a suicide watch is a bad idea in cases like this. If he wants to save the rest of us the cost of putting on a trial, why stop him?

As for the rest, it seems to me that any honest assessment of women's self-defense options has to take into account the relatively higher likelihood that a woman who needs to defend herself is just as likely -- if not more likely -- to be facing down someone she once loved as she is to be dealing with a stranger.

Could you shoot the person you'd been married to for 20 years? If not, what would it take to get you to that point? How extreme would the situation have to become before armed self defense seemed a sensible and reasonable option against someone you used to love? (Of course if you threaten the kids directly, every mom turns into a tiger. But do you think these types of "men" don't know that? What better way to keep her calm than to promise that the children will be safe, no matter what? Or to say that the kids will be killed if she doesn't cooperate? Either way, use the kids against her, to keep her from fighting back. Once she has been lulled and then killed, the man can then go after the kids who no longer have anyone to protect them... )

It's a thorny problem, and just telling women in these types of situations that they need to arm themselves really isn't enough. If they are not prepared to kill a man they once loved, simply having a gun available to them isn't going to do them any good at all. The need goes deeper than that, especially for a woman who stayed in a dangerous relationship for any length of time: she needs time to heal, time to find - or grow - her own backbone, time to realize that her life is valuable, before she would ever be able to defend herself as vigorously as she must in order to survive. But time is precisely what she will never have...

What a tragedy. What a horrible, ugly, infuriating tragedy. I hope the 3 year old pulls through.

pax
    Pax... Very good post! And yes, I agree that in cases of spousal abuse and DV, it is a very complicated dynamic situation which includes some intense psychological intervention as well.

However, the absolute bottom line is, if you are involved with a person who has the likelihood or even remote possibility of slaughtering his entire family, you better get over your psychological apprehensions against using lethal force to stop him from killing everyone and do so in a hurry.

In such cases... and often times, they already know what the abuser is capable of because of the long history involved. In such cases, often the only recourse to save yourself is lethal force.

Are there other options? Certainly! Lethal force should always be the last resort! Sometimes, people can go into hiding or into a shelter situation, but often enough that isn't always feasible or they risk running into the abuser while going to work or out in some other public place anyway.

The gun is the great equalizer. On occasion, it is the only, albeit, the final option. And like I stated in my first post. More often than not, the victim never even considers it to be an option and all too frequently, we see large funeral services as a result.

I am friends with a woman, who by the time she had enough, she was more than willing to use a gun to defend herself against the estranged husband. Fortunately, at that point, the estranged husband also realized she was serious and thus it never came to that end. They ended up getting a divorce and going their separate ways and have been amicable, more or less ever since. However, she made it clear, if he touched her again, she'd kill him. She would have, and he was smart enough to believe it too.

Frequently, however, that isn't the case, and so we continue reading about these horrible cases where the abuser kills the victim and often times the children as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Unfortunately, the corrections staff is considered to be responsible for prisoners. If a prisoner commits suicide, then some poor corrections officer is in hot water. And yes, it should be different.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

WOW, the bad gets worse.
    Keep your powder dry

Links