Boston Paramedic (off duty) shoots 2, charged - Page 2

Boston Paramedic (off duty) shoots 2, charged

This is a discussion on Boston Paramedic (off duty) shoots 2, charged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If 4 guys approached my car and smashed my window with a baseball bat, my gun would be handy. I would try to start the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If 4 guys approached my car and smashed my window with a baseball bat, my gun would be handy.

I would try to start the car and leave, but if I couldn't get away, I would most certainly start shooting. Disparity of force here.

I don't drink, take drugs or go to bars so a foggy brain would not be a factor.

Guns and drinking booze does not mix well. We are responsible for our actions.
    Keep your powder dry

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

This just in

Boston EMT accused in shooting posts bail
    By John P. Kelly
    The Enterprise News

Related Article:
    Boston EMT accused of double shooting, then administering aid
    Related content sponsored by:

ABINGTON, Mass. — After more than two months in jail, a Boston EMT facing charges that he shot two brothers in Abington after a party in September was freed Monday after posting $30,000 bail.

Rhys Williams of Dorchester has been ordered to remain confined to his home and to wear a GPS tracking device. Williams is also prohibited from contacting the two men he allegedly shot and from drinking alcohol or taking drugs.

Justice Thomas Connors set forth those and other conditions last Wednesday after Williams pleaded innocent in Plymouth Superior Court in Brockton to charges contained in an indictment from earlier this month. His next court appearance is Dec. 10.

Boston EMT accused in shooting commits suicide
    Boston EMT accused in shooting commits suicide
    By John P. Kelly
    The Patriot Ledger

Related Articles:
    Boston EMT accused of double shooting, then administering aid
    Related content sponsored by:

BOSTON — A Boston emergency medical technician indicted this month on charges that he shot two brothers outside an Abington house party in September was found dead Monday of an apparent suicide, his attorney said.

Peter C. Horstmann said he spent most of Monday morning with Rhys Williams, whose emotional state seemed “nothing out of the ordinary.”

"He had a lot of hope," Horstmann said. "This was a very defensible case."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Youse guys shouldn't be in such a hurry to condemn a gun owner. The Anti-Gunners will be there for that. Instead why not simply accept that the guy was in fear for his life, at least for a moment- Fact is he did very possibly keep the orginal Law Breakers alive, even after they assaulted him.

Gee, do you think alcohol was involved?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

He went looking for trouble and he found it. Now he is going to pay for it. I bet he is kicking himself in the ass right now.

Quote Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
    Youse guys shouldn't be in such a hurry to condemn a gun owner. The Anti-Gunners will be there for that. Instead why not simply accept that the guy was in fear for his life, at least for a moment- Fact is he did very possibly keep the orginal Law Breakers alive, even after they assaulted him.
    +1
    we don't have all the facts and can only make assumptions. As far as I can tell from reading the articles is its a 50/50 chance the guy did wrong. But we may never know cause the guy hung himself.

Here is an update:
    WickedLocal.com Lawyer: Boston EMT facing Abington shooting charges commits suicide

"...
    The evening began at the Elks Club in Norwood, where Williams had helped organize a fundraiser in memory of Mark Brinkman, his former partner at Boston Emergency Medical Services who was the shooting victims’ brother.

Afterward, a group decided to continue the party at one of the men’s homes in Abington. Everyone knew each other, except for Williams.

The party lasted all night. Williams later estimated he had as many as eight beers and three to four rum cocktails.

By sunrise – after hours of reminiscing about the deceased and bouts of “play-fighting” – the Brinkman brothers and the host decided Williams “had overstayed his welcome.”

Witnesses gave differing versions of what led to the tension, but everyone agreed Williams was pressured to leave.

Unsure how to get home from Abington after a night of drinking, Williams called a friend and, possibly, the Abington police for a ride, the judge said in his ruling. Then Williams walked to a Dunkin’ Donuts for coffee. Walking past the home, Williams saw people on the outside deck and, when he approached, an argument erupted.

The Brinkman brothers and Paul Keating, the homeowner, chased Williams, who got into his car. Paul Brinkman smashed the front windshield. His brother, John, opened the car door, police said.

Williams reached for a handgun he kept in the car and shot John Brinkman in the leg. He fired a second shot, hitting Paul Brinkman in the chest.

“He had not given any warning that he was armed prior to his firing the shot,” Connors said in his ruling.

As Keating ran to his house and yelled for someone to call 911, Williams retrieved his EMT bag and attempted to dress the Brinkmans’ wounds. He was screaming, “Why did you make me do this?” and “You’ve ruined all our lives.”

Paul Brinkman, a Hanover resident who was 36 at the time of the shooting, was in a medically induced coma in the days after the shooting. Earlier this week, he was listed in good condition at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

John Brinkman, a Quincy lawyer, did not return messages left at his office and on his cell phone."
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

VIP Member
    last few posters must not have read paramedic70002's last post:

BOSTON — A Boston emergency medical technician indicted this month on charges that he shot two brothers outside an Abington house party in September was found dead Monday of an apparent suicide, his attorney said.

now we'll most likely never get to know the whole story, and this incident will get added to the anti's stats and listed as a black mark against all of us
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

He hung himself

Lots of defamatory reader comments about the brothers if you care to hit the link.

Alleged EMT gunman hangs self, cops say - BostonHerald.com

Alleged EMT gunman hangs self, cops say
    By O’Ryan Johnson
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - Updated 2d 16h ago

A Boston EMT on house arrest for two counts of attempted murder was found hanged at his home in an apparent suicide , police and his lawyers said.

Rhys Williams, 41, of Dorchester was found by his neighbors Monday about 10:30 p.m. after allegedly hanging himself from a support beam on his Percival Street home’s rear porch.

William’s lawyer Peter C. Horstmann said he met with his client Monday, he appeared to be in good spirits, and they set an appointment to meet again.

“He had every reason, not just hope, to expect a favorable result,” Horstmann said. “I think when things come unraveled, they come unraveled at different speeds for different people.”

Williams was jailed on Sept. 21, when he allegedly shot brothers John and Paul Brinkman at an after-party in Abington. Williams and the men had earlier attended a fund-raiser for their brother, another Boston medic, who died suddenly from an illness. Williams was released on a monitoring bracelet late last month.

Paul Brinkman remained hopsitalized yesterday as a result of a bullet wound to the chest, according to the Patriot Ledger. John Brinkman was treated and released. The Brinkman family could not be reached yesterday.

Boston Police Patrolmen’s Union/EMS Division president James Orsino said despite his end, Williams “served the public for years, helped countless people and saved dozens of lives.”

Williams was set to become a father within weeks.

“This is incredible for a guy who three months ago had a good job, a child on the way and everything in the world to look forward to,” Horstmann said. “For it to unravel this way is very, very tragic.”
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links