Boston Paramedic (off duty) shoots 2, charged

This is a discussion on Boston Paramedic (off duty) shoots 2, charged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The facts are muddied, I can see it going either way, but usually mud doesn't look good for the shooter. 95.9 WATD is the South ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston Paramedic (off duty) shoots 2, charged

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Boston Paramedic (off duty) shoots 2, charged

The facts are muddied, I can see it going either way, but usually mud doesn't look good for the shooter.

95.9 WATD is the South Shore's favorite radio station. WATD features local news, weather and sports.
    Abington: Prosecutors say accused killer admits to shooting two men
    By Steven Dodrill, SDodrill@959watd.com

41-year-old Rhys Williams was on medical leave from Boston EMS when police say the training he received for his job as an EMT and Paramedic, are the skills he used to try to help the victims he allegedly shot.

Williams appeared before Judge Paul McCallum Monday morning and answered to charges including assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Police say the weapon was a 9mm glock, the same weapon police officers carry.

Abington Police say Williams went to a party after attending a benefit in Norwood at the Elks Club Saturday night, for his former partner Mark Brinkman, who died in May.

Williams was asked to leave the after party at 59 North Avenue in Abington after an argument developed.

Police say Williams later returned and an argument ensued between Williams and his late co-workers brothers, the windshield of Williams' Subaru Outback was smashed and thats when shots rang out.

In the formal arraignment Assistant Plymouth County DA Matt Green says according to police 42-year-old John Brinkman, of Quincy was shot first in the leg and 36-year-old Paul Brinkman of Hanover was in the chest.

Police Chief David Majenski says Paul Brinkman was shot at point blank range.

John Brinkman was treated and released, Paul Brinkman remains hospitalized in critical condition.

Police say he is expected to survive.

Williams has been placed on administrative leave from his job with the City of Boston's Emergency Medical Services as a result of the incident and on-going investigation.

The defense has asked for the District Attorney's office to preserve all E-911 calls and regular phone calls that came into the police station on that morning, along with the defendant's cell phone.

Judge Paul McCallum has ordered Williams held with out bail, and ordered him to appear back in court on Thursday for a 'probable cause' and 'detention hearing.'

----------------------------------------

Boston EMT accused of double shooting, then administering aid - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

Boston EMT accused of double shooting, then administering aid

By Brian R. Ballou and Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff

ABINGTON -- A Boston EMT has been accused of shooting two of his friends after a night of drinking at a fund-raiser before grabbing his medical kit and helping to administer first aid.

The EMT, Rhys Williams, 41, is accused of shooting two brothers during an argument early Sunday morning after he was thrown out of the party. Both brothers are expected to survive, although Paul Brinkman, 36, remains in poor condition at South Shore Hospital after being shot in the chest. When police arrived at 7:46 a.m. on Bates Street, Williams stood with gauze in his hand while the victims' wives gave their husbands first aid.

"I certainly find it disturbing that somebody with an EMS background trained to save lives would do this," said Chief David G. Majenski of the Abington Police Department at a press conference this morning.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Oops meant to include photo of scene...
    Attached Images

Alcohol and guns do not mix,sounds like the guy was ejected from the party went home got a gun and returned,He needs to get brought to trial and face a jury
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, he left and came back. Doesn't look good for him.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Agreed with you guys.

Further even if he was armed prior to being asked to leave, his act of returning to private property while being armed is IIRC a felony, in MA, and shows intent to do grievous harm...even if he had not done any harm in the end but had been arrested.
    As well he had been _DRINKING_ prior which is a huge and very BASIC do not do this item. I don't care how adult and well you think you can handle your alcohol etc. Do not drink and operate heavy machinery. Do not drink and handle firearms. Period.
    You can stand next to machinary and drink in a car dealership. No problem. You can carry into a place serving alcohol. No problem.
    But mix the two...Fuel vapors waiting for a catalystic spark.

Boston too.
    Dude is in deep doo-doo.

I like how the article states; "Police say the weapon was a 9mm glock, the same weapon police officers carry."

:|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

FWIW note in the article the party and the shooting occurred on different streets. One of the commenters to the second article (not posted here) stated that the Paramedic went to a different location and was drinking coffee when the brothers attacked. Also somewhere said he kept the weapon in the glove box. Whether all this is true or conjecture I don't know...

Ah I see those steets meet, and the house is on the corner:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...02411&t=h&z=19

Paramedic,

Here in MA it is unlawful to store a firearm in a glove compartment, be it loaded or unloaded. Further even if it were unloaded as stored a gun in MA is considered to be 'loaded' if ammunition is stored as within a magazine (speed loaders excepted) and that magazine is stored as with the firearm.
    Glove box storage FTL, and that is a well known item here in MA.

Further lets say that the conjecture is truth.
    He was at a secondary location drinking coffee, after being told to leave.
    Next lets say that they the persons shot were the aggressors, at first.
    He's still got problems with carry of a firearm while intoxicated. Or unlawful storage of a firearm along with possession while intoxicated. Further if he did make it to his car to retrieve the gun then why did he not choose to _leave_ rather than exit the car and become the aggressor (!) to shoot two people.

Also in MA use of lethal force is not allowable as in the defense of _property_.
    His windshield being busted out is not cause to respond as he did under the laws of this state. Never mind just being generally immoral regardless of state laws. It's just a windshield, which can be replaced for like $200.

Also, this happened in Boston.
    It might as well have been NYC.

He's got too many items stacked against hm as by circumstance to skate away from this cleanly. :|

What would have been best is to remove himself from the_people_ and to stay removed, regardless of what, how, or where he might have had the gun stowed.
    But he had been drinking and no doubt that along with his own emotional annoyance plus it being extremely late to be out partying (!) resulted in an inability to apply clear headed judgment.
    The rest is a case of crime & punishment...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Arrow In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Paramedics With Guns Scare People, especially @ a party under the influence!!

People like him make gun owners look bad. Typically speaking, Paramedic's are smart, but in this case: I do not know where his brain was, but obviously he didn't use his brains. It doesn't sound like he had a CCW, or he would of known the rules behind having a CCW.

Ps 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Give me liberty or give me death!!
    -Patrick Henry

Janq

agreed about storage in the glove box and being intoxicated.

It is "possible" he was trying to leave and in the car when the windshield was smashed. Maybe he was trying to seek refuge in the car because the attackers had a weapon capable of smashing windows (baseball bat maybe?)

I would like to see more facts reported by another source not part of the liberal anti-gun media who report most cases in MA as person with gun being bad guy, no matter what the situation.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

Lets see, mix emotions of dead partner with the emotions of dead brother and a bit of drinking and some arguing.

Then toss a gun into the mix, and yep, recipe for disaster. Mr. Williams will spend some time in the big house.

Oh, and even if they were smashing his windshield with the bat, he would have been better off leaving in his vehicle and filing a complaint against their assault.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ...Oh, and even if they were smashing his windshield with the bat, he would have been better off leaving in his vehicle and filing a complaint against their assault.
    That was my first thought as a response. ^^

Further if it really has popped off big time and being bore down on by multiple attackers (two or more) _and_ already inside of a motor vehicle...My own first thought would not be to exit the vehicle and deploy narrow spectrum aimed fire.
    I'd start the car, select DRIVE or REVERSE, or evac right then and now.

3K+ tons and 200HP of hard to stop aluminum & plastic > Baseball bat as related to encouraging if not making an attacker STOP.

Go to the gun as literally a means of very last no other options resort.
    And motoring a car away does not require a fully intact windshield nor even specifically being in the drivers seat (!). Seriously.

At that point uh oh I'm in trouble action(s) I doubt my thoughts would come to which is more defensible as a primary concern.
    More so I'd be thinking what offers right now me better/best odds as related to stopping the threatful situation.

It's a common law of life & living that danger is the inverse of relative distance to a threat.
    The further away and quicker one can distance themself from a threat the less likely the threat is going to continue to be a threat, as in immediate real potential.
    I wouldn't care nor have concern if my car took a beating. I'd call Nationwide, after hanging up with 911.

Far better to call GEICO and/or AAA than O.H. Snap Bailbonds & Services and/or Geitz, Mead, Freed & Associates, Attorneys at Law.

Just a thought.

- Janq's vehicles are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace if not repair

I have to say........ I am appalled!!

he drives A SUBARU OUTBACK???

What is this guy thinking??
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Janq

I'm trying to send you a PM, but your mailbox is full...
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

Alcohol induced brain fart puts EMT in jail for a loooong vacation.
    Not real smart on Mr. Williams' part.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight412 View Post
    Janq

I'm trying to send you a PM, but your mailbox is full...
    Thanks for the heads up...I cleared that up, AND found I had two old PMs unresponded to at that(!).
    Will have to resolve that issue as well.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links