Welcome to the real world

This is a discussion on Welcome to the real world within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So much for the expectations of TV-type CSI work, if one were to harbor such expectations, in the first place. Roanoke, Va Plea agreement ends ...

Thread: Welcome to the real world

VIP Member

Welcome to the real world

So much for the expectations of TV-type CSI work, if one were to harbor such expectations, in the first place.

Roanoke, Va

Plea agreement ends shooting case - Roanoke.com

Plea agreement ends shooting case
    A prosecutor admitted that the case, which still has not been solved, had some problems.
    By Mike Gangloff
    981-3336
    A plea agreement Monday ended -- though it did not solve -- the whodunit surrounding a wild, gunshot-filled night two years ago in Northeast Roanoke.

Durwin Evant Bonds Jr., 24, pleaded guilty in Roanoke Circuit Court to two counts of attempted capital murder, principal in the second degree. The language of the amended charge indicates that Bonds, accused of shooting at a police officer and another man, does not admit to pulling the trigger. Instead, he accepted that he was at least working with someone who tried to kill another, Chief Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Betty Jo Anthony said.

Bonds also pleaded guilty to breaking and entering, reduced from the more serious charge of breaking and entering at night with a weapon.

Some 16 other charges, including attempted malicious wounding and wearing a mask, were dropped.

Bonds was sentenced to seven years in prison, with another 23 years suspended, and five years probation.

The plea let Bonds escape what likely would have been a 20-year sentence if a jury convicted him only of the original breaking and entering charge, said his attorney, Ray Ferris.

And it prevented the commonwealth from having to put on a case that it admitted had problems, Anthony said.

Bonds' arrest in October 2007 came after members of the Walker family, a husband and wife and their adult son, awoke to discover an air conditioner pushed from the window of their duplex in the 500 block of Wentworth Avenue.

Nothing else seemed disturbed. When the Walkers called police, it was assumed that whoever tried to break in had left. The male Walkers went to check on their cars.

Orlando Walker II, the son, was behind the duplex when he saw someone in a basement stairwell. He shouted and the figure shot a pistol at him, Anthony said.

With his father, Walker ran into the duplex to get his mother. They fled out the front door. Walker went to call police again.

As he did so, Officers J.H. Wadkins and R.E. Sanders arrived. Still thinking no burglar was present, they walked to the duplex's open front door. Someone came to meet them, then raised a gun.

The officers would have testified that the person on the porch fired a shot, then Sanders fired two in return, Anthony said.

One of Sanders' bullets went through the Walkers' door. The other went through the other door of the duplex. No one was hit and the person on the porch ran inside, then out the back door.

Officers followed, and after a chase, arrested Bonds. Near him on the ground was a bullet of the same type as the casings left at the Walkers' home. A groundskeeping crew found a pistol a month later. tests matched it to the casings.

But a bloody fingerprint noted in an initial report about the gun vanished before it reached the lab, Ferris said. And prints found in the Walkers' home matched neither the family nor Bonds.

And in the minutes between the Walkers' flight and the officers' arrival, the apartment was thoroughly ransacked, Anthony said.

"There was significant evidence there may have been another individual involved," Ferris said.
    There "may have been another individual involved", you think?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

The 7 years will turn out to be about 3 or 4, so he's coming to your neighborhood soon. Ain't our justice system just peachy?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Bonds also pleaded guilty to breaking and entering, reduced from the more serious charge of breaking and entering at night with a weapon.
    He either was or wasn't with the weapon. He gets charged with one, but can plead guilty to the other ... truth be damned?

... attempted malicious wounding ...
    When attempted capital murder is on the list, what justifies charging someone with an empty euphemism, instead?

... wearing a mask ...
    That's a crime? The 3yr old kids down the street do that, at birthdays and Halloween.

Bonds was sentenced to seven years in prison, with another 23 years suspended, and five years probation.

The plea let Bonds escape what likely would have been a 20-year sentence if a jury convicted him only of the original breaking and entering charge ...
    Ooooh, look at all them years, there!

7 + 23 + 5 = 3-4, 2 if he's "good."

And he got to escape the "20-year" sentence by pleading out.

All in a case about attempted capital murder, including against a police officer.

In the end, the citizens are gonna get what they get. May they still be able to smile when they do.

Look on the bright side. Each juror got a validated discount coupon for lipstick. May they smile when they do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... wearing a mask ...

That's a crime? The 3yr old kids down the street do that, at birthdays and Halloween.

I thought the same thing...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I thought the same thing...
    It's almost certainly "wearing a mask during commission of a crime," just like it's "carrying a firearm during commission of a crime." I'm just being retentive, today.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Not your 3yr old. OTOH, if over 16 it is a felony, in Virginia -- however, there are exceptions.

See:
    § 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

(Code 1950, §§ 18.1-364, 18.1-367; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1986, c. 19.)

Ooooh, look at all them years, there!

7 + 23 + 5 = 3-4, 2 if he's "good."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    The 7 years will turn out to be about 3 or 4, so he's coming to your neighborhood soon. Ain't our justice system just peachy?
    It's not a "justice" system any more, it's the "legal" system. Big difference.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    It's not a "justice" system any more, it's the "legal" system. Big difference.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

BINGO

OTOH, not sure it ever was.

However, it's better than any system I seen around the world -- and I've seen a bunch.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Wonderful system we have for criminals...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think it all sucks...

But what's the real culprit? No one wants a prison in their community.

If bunk space in prisons weren't at a premium and there was plenty of room at the Inn... There wouldn't be rampant plea bargains.

California is looking at opening the doors on thousands of prisoners because of over crowding and a court order!

Personally, that isn't the answer either. But we definitely need more prison space because the scumbag in the original post needs to be locked up until he's old and grey
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Could have been solved with better shot placement and more armed citizens. Was someone bleeding?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think it all sucks...

But what's the real culprit? No one wants a prison in their community.

If bunk space in prisons weren't at a premium and there was plenty of room at the Inn... There wouldn't be rampant plea bargains.

California is looking at opening the doors on thousands of prisoners because of over crowding and a court order!

Personally, that isn't the answer either. But we definitely need more prison space because the scumbag in the original post needs to be locked up until he's old and grey
    I just spent 5 days working in various places in Nevada. I drove across literally thousands of desolate acres of land. There's plenty of space for prisons where nobody will ever even see them here.
    Make them self supporting, growing their own food etc. If a prisoner won't work then he doesn't get to eat. When he starves to death, there's plenty of land to spread his ashes on! (No sense wasting good land on a grave for this kind of human garbage.)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

more errors then normal in the MSM in that article

Officers followed, and after a chase, arrested Bonds. Near him on the ground was a bullet of the same type as the casings left at the Walkers' home. A groundskeeping crew found a pistol a month later. tests matched it to the casings.
    I will spare you the rant. I assume they meant they found a cartridge on the ground that matched up, but that is not what they said. Wording people, wording.

Links