Still think you live rural enough that it won't happen to you?

This is a discussion on Still think you live rural enough that it won't happen to you? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What is really scary is the class of criminal that is emerging in this day and time. They place no value on life, unless of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still think you live rural enough that it won't happen to you?

What is really scary is the class of criminal that is emerging in this day and time. They place no value on life, unless of course it's their own. Whatever is infecting the minds of this type of criminal just cannot be understood. There should be no justification when commiting a crime, to kill the vicim(s), but it seems to be happening more and more each time.

This is the sole reason to vote out the dummies in our Government who insist on paralyzing us with useless gun restriction and toothless laws when dealing with any criminal.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    What is really scary is the class of criminal that is emerging in this day and time. They place no value on life, unless of course it's their own. Whatever is infecting the minds of this type of criminal just cannot be understood. There should be no justification when commiting a crime, to kill the vicim(s), but it seems to be happening more and more each time.

This is the sole reason to vote out the dummies in our Government who insist on paralyzing us with useless gun restriction and toothless laws when dealing with any criminal.
    Hear, Hear!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    'Blunt force trauma' killed family - STLtoday.com

LINCOLN, Ill. — All five family members found slain in their central Illinois home Monday were killed by "blunt force trauma," a sheriff said Thursday, though he declined to provide other details, including whether authorities have recovered any weapons.

Logan County Sheriff Steven Nichols reported the autopsy finding after some of his initial comments raised more questions about the killings, particularly his statement that deputies responded after a 911 call reporting possible shots fired. Nichols said Wednesday that none of the victims had been shot.

Asked Thursday how one person might inflict deadly blunt force on five people, Nichols declined to comment.

Investigators finished combing through the crime scene in the small town of Beason on Wednesday night, Nichols said. A state police trailer and other official vehicles that had been parked in front of the home for days were no longer there Thursday, and a main street that had been blocked off was open.

"The forensic evidence in this case is significant," Nichols said. He said there were hundreds of fingerprints, blood samples and DNA evidence but didn't elaborate.

Raymond "Rick" Gee, 46, and Ruth Gee, 39, were found dead in the home Monday with their children, 16-year-old Justina Constant, 14-year-old Dillen Constant and 11-year-old Austin Gee.

The Gees' youngest daughter, a 3-year-old who survived the attack, was in critical but stable condition Thursday; her injuries also were caused by blunt force, Nichols said. A deputy has been assigned to the hospital but, contrary to published reports, no other family members have been placed in protective custody, he said.

Nichols has not said when authorities believe the family was killed nor whether investigators have identified any suspects.

Nichols asked the public Wednesday for help in finding a gray pickup, possibly a Ford that was painted only in primer, that was spotted in the area late Sunday.
    Wife, children, and husband beaten to death in their home. I'm calling the sheriff if I see a gray primer pickup.

Maybe the family were imports from the city and thought they left the danger back in the big city. I grew up in a small village in Michigan and to us rural just meant independent. Doors locked when away and loaded shotgun after we were of a responsible age. Pray for the little girl and hope the perps pick the wrong family next time.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Family of 5 killed in Beason, Ill., police report - STLtoday.com

Unincorporated village with five streets north-south and five streets east-west located smack dab in the middle of huge row crop farms in central Illinois. Nearest interstate access is about 8 miles. Population of entire 600 square mile county where Beason is located is about 32,000.

Obviously this could have been a murder suicide by a family member or an intruder. It is a tragedy and my heart goes out to the victims, their family and friends, and the community.

Every family needs to have and implement a plan to save themselves from violent acts by deranged criminals. No matter where they live.
    Gee, how could this happen? Don't they have gun control in that state. (heh)
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Agreed Bark'n.

Not just arms either...But a _personal investment_ in at the very least a single dog if not a duo or trio of working dogs.
    People who live in remote areas should have dogs at hand as being a minimum mandatory thought.
    At best they are a visual deterrent and at the very worst such as with determined persons they alert you to trouble and can buy time for your to either arm up and gather for a fight, if not evac to a better or safer fighting/defense/survival position.

Living far out in the boonies as these people did without having dogs online, and I don't mean friendly to everyone lap dogs and pocket dogs either, and that can be released to dissuade if not distract potential threats.

Earlier this summer similar occurred to that family of three in NM where the father and daughter was shot dead during a home invasion gun fight leaving the mother alive also badly but not mortally wounded, on the line with 911 as she's taking and returning fire...living many miles from a cavalry base station.

Even suburban and urban/city dwellers would and do do well to have a dog for same purposes.
    If you buy residential property in very rural far out areas then it should be a no brainer thought to invest in a dog for security purposes, along with arms and keeping ammunition at hand as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Yep, I carry almost 24/7 and while I have a couple of rat dogs, they are quick to bark at unusual noises. My wife will be carrying soon too.

I live in a rural area and what has been said about gun fire is completely true. Esp during hunting season. I actually like hearing it. The sound of freedom, baby!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

+1 on the dogs Janq!

We had several dogs, all of them good watch dogs, but our home sentry was a Border Collie / Great Pyrenees mix. Friendly enough after he got to know you, but he took his duties of protecting the property (and his people) to heart!

He was all business when strangers approached. And until they left, he as constantly eying them and close by.

And believe it or not, he was a stray. He just decided that our place was the place where he wanted to live one day. He integrated with all our other animals great, but he quickly became the pack leader, behind me and the wife, of course, but he was an excellent protector!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bad bad bad. I hope this or these perps are caught and punished.
    Keep your powder dry

That's just a few miles down the road from where my father was raised. Went to visit every few summers, when I was growing up. It is definitely a world apart from the hubbub of "town." Everyone knows everyone. Country lakes, forests, corn fields. And then a few roads connecting them. Long, straight roads. A few railroad lines. And the village is plopped right across the railroad line. Why there? 'Cause there's a railway nearby, and you need to get the harvest to the granary. No other reason to have it there.

This is the sort of thing a small town doesn't easily recover from.

Sounds a bit like the murders in Holcomb, KS, which Truman Capote wrote about in his book In Cold Blood.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Suspect arrested is ex son-in-law. Perhaps we will find out how he got the drop on the family if he confesses.

Suspect is held in killing of 5 in family - STLtoday.com

By Ryan Denham and Edith Brady-Lunny
    LEE NEWSPAPERS
    10/02/2009

LINCOLN, Ill. — A man arrested Thursday in the slayings of five family members was once married to a surviving daughter, court records and the suspect's mother say.

Christopher J. Harris, 30, was arrested Thursday in the killings of Raymond "Rick" and Ruth Gee and three of their children last month in tiny Beason, Logan County Sheriff Steve Nichols said.

According to Logan County Circuit Court records, Nicole Gee, daughter of Rick Gee, was once married to Harris. Nichols said the man arrested was familiar with the family but declined to give further details.

Since days after the killings, police have urged the public to be on the lookout for a primer-gray pickup. Nichols confirmed a primer-gray pickup truck was seized Thursday but would not say where it was found. The sheriff also declined to discuss any more details of the investigation.

Nicole Gee, 27, filed for divorce from Harris in 2006, according to court records. In March 2007, the court found "grounds of mental cruelty have been proven" and the judgment to dissolve the marriage was entered.

But more recent court records show Harris sharing the same Beason address as Nicole Gee.

Neighbor Marjorie Wright said Thursday night that she saw Harris move a gray pickup into the garage at Nicole Gee's home several days ago.

The suspect's mother, Debbie Harris, vehemently rejected the charges against her son. "I'm heartbroken," Debbie Harris told the Chicago Tribune in a telephone interview Thursday night.

Harris said her son was hoping to remarry Nicole Gee.

Beason, with a population of about 200, is about 40 miles northeast of Springfield. The bodies were found Sept. 21.

Ryan Denham and Edith Brady-Lunny are reporters for the Bloomington Pantagraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    But in all seriousness, if someone wanted in your house, they could literally take a chainsaw and cut a friggon hole in the side of your house and neighbors would either not hear it, or if they did hear it, wouldn't raise an eyebrow at the sound of a chainsaw running in the distance..
    Not only true but a fact of life living in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You know...rural communities may be more of a target in a lot of areas, and for those who live far away from any community (out in the boonies where I should be) they should be totally independent on most things.
    Far away gunshots seldom raise eyebrows out in the boonies. Law enforcement seldom make appearances in the boonies. There are seldom witnesses to anything in the boonies..
    I live so far back in the woods that they have to pump daylight to me!
    911 out here in the "rual" is a joke..response time minimum 1 hr..by then, it's a clean up job.

As for gun shots out here, it's a normal way of life and no one questions it. When I hear gunshots, I just assume it's my neighbors plinking..we all are armed out here. It is nice just stepping out your door to pop a few rounds.

But living way out like we do does have it's risks. But the advantages outweigh of living rual outweigh the disadvantages. Sure we have to be alert, but we can also realx a little bit more than those who live int he cities.

I have 200 acres here and I carry EVERYWHERE! I was once working outside when all of a sudden two guys onn 4 wheelers came ripping up my "Private" road and stopped abt 100yds from the house. I hollered at them and got no response. I then pulled the 1911 and fired a round into the embankment near me and that got their attention. As I approached, .45 at my side, I asked them what the hell they were doing...they being a little nervous and intimidated, tried to conjure up some phoney BS about being lost..and yet they tell me that they are my nighbors to the north abt 2 miles..if they were my neighbors, then they would know that my private drive is PRIVATE and they did not have an invite from me. I told them that they were tresspassing and that they were not welcome on my place and to get the hell off...one of them tried to shake my hand and I looked at him and told him I was not interested and to get a move on and not ever come back..it's been a year now and have not seen these guys..I am guessing that they know not to be scoping this place out. If they want to lay up in the wood and put a scope to my head, then they best do it with one shot, one kill.

I never got a call from the County SO or anyone..they got the message I assume..but living out in the rual, is not any safer than living with immediate police access, bottom line.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links