Still think you live rural enough that it won't happen to you?

This is a discussion on Still think you live rural enough that it won't happen to you? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Family of 5 killed in Beason, Ill., police report - STLtoday.com By Kevin McDermott POST-DISPATCH SPRINGFIELD BUREAU 09/22/2009 Updated: 11:19 a.m. Tuesday bullet Gallery: The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still think you live rural enough that it won't happen to you?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Still think you live rural enough that it won't happen to you?

Family of 5 killed in Beason, Ill., police report - STLtoday.com
    By Kevin McDermott
    POST-DISPATCH SPRINGFIELD BUREAU
    09/22/2009

Updated: 11:19 a.m. Tuesday
    bullet Gallery: The scene in Beason

BEASON, Ill. Five people were found dead last night in Beason, Ill., about 135 miles northeast of St. Louis.

The victims were all from the same family and range in age from 11 years old to 46 years old.

This was "a brutal homicide against an entire family," said Logan County Sheriff Steve Nichols during a press conference this morning.

Nichols said that police have no suspect in the killings and urged residents to be on alert.

"We would consider this (suspect) armed and dangerous," Nichols said. "Since we don't have the suspect in custody, I want people to be cautious."

Killed were Raymond "Rick" Gee, about 46 years old, Ruth Gee, about 39 years old, Justina Constant, about 16 years old, Dillen Constant, about 14 years old, and Austin Gee, about 11 years old.

A 3-year-old girl -- who the sheriff said was a "possible survivor" -- was found alive and she is being treated at a Peoria hospital. The Peoria hospital is not releasing information about the little girl.

Logan would not say how the family members are related or how they died.

Beason is a central Illinois farming community.

Streets remained closed in the town, and authorities say they have set up a command post.

Illinois State Police Capt. Scott Compton confirmed the agency had crime scene investigators on the scene. But Compton referred other questions to the Logan County sheriff.

Beason is also about 40 miles northeast of Springfield.

The Associated Press contributed some information for this story.
    Unincorporated village with five streets north-south and five streets east-west located smack dab in the middle of huge row crop farms in central Illinois. Nearest interstate access is about 8 miles. Population of entire 600 square mile county where Beason is located is about 32,000.

Obviously this could have been a murder suicide by a family member or an intruder. It is a tragedy and my heart goes out to the victims, their family and friends, and the community.

Every family needs to have and implement a plan to save themselves from violent acts by deranged criminals. No matter where they live.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Wow...that is just sick. I hope the little girl survives
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    It could have been a family sized murder-suicide but that's usually obvious from the get-go when one of the "victims" is holding a weapon and the others are found in bed (or some other situation vulnerable to attack). Given the limited info, it's a possibility here but I would say very unlikely.

Being far removed from danger usually means you're far removed from help as well.

RIP, little ones.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    It could have been a family sized murder-suicide but that's usually obvious from the get-go when one of the "victims" is holding a weapon and the others are found in bed (or some other situation vulnerable to attack). Given the limited info, it's a possibility here but I would say very unlikely.

Being far removed from danger usually means you're far removed from help as well.

RIP, little ones.
    Well said. Being isolated makes for an easier target also.

Hoping the little girl survives (although when she learns of her loved ones fates she may wish she hadn't) I hope they catch who did this and punish them accordingly.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

This is rather tough news. Hope and pray for the little girl.
    Unfortunately, as usual, the police are there after the fact.

I'm surprised that this rural family was NOT armed......pretty sad, for sure.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe all their guns were locked up in the gun cabinet or safe.

Also, a great point that living in remote areas, you are also far from help. But it sounds like help wasn't even called.

It's obvious that people need to be able to take action immediately in case of home invasion type crimes.

Time and time and time again whole families are slaughtered in their homes and yet the cry for more and more gun control seems to be the order of the day!

Rubbish! B.S! Crapola! People need to have immediate access to firearms, especially in the home! There is almost no other way to beat back a home invasion break-in except for using a firearm coupled with overwhelming violence of action. You can't go running around rummaging through the nightstand or looking for your gun in a closet shelf or opening a safe.

Immediate access to a weapon and Immediate action is essential. My lord, the survival of your entire family hangs in the balance and yet people continue to chide members here for carrying a gun on their hip while in the home.

If you can't figure out the logistics/security issues of being able to keep a firearm immediately available and also have small children in the house, then you are leaving yourself vulnerable to being slaughtered like the family in the original post. Untold numbers of children are raised in households with loaded and accessible firearms without ever having a problem. It comes down to parenting.

Boggles my mind!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

We've had two home invasions in rural Cortland County NY in the past month.

Last week two intruders were killed by the home owner up in North Syracuse, NY. Surprised that story didn't end up here.

You are never too rural to be a victim.

Sounds like the Cutter family (In Cold Blood) all over again.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

It's obvious that people need to be able to take action immediately in case of home invasion type crimes.

Immediate access to a weapon and Immediate action is essential. My lord, the survival of your entire family hangs in the balance and yet people continue to chide members here for carrying a gun on their hip while in the home.

If you can't figure out the logistics/security issues of being able to keep a firearm immediately available and also have small children in the house, then you are leaving yourself vulnerable to being slaughtered like the family in the original post.
    +1
    Well said Bark'n.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

No matter what the circumstances of how this crime happened and if it could have been prevented, it is sad and tragic. I'm in the St Louis area and the incidence of these type crimes seem to be more and more often. Once more I have resolved to keep myself armed, trained and practiced so that should the off-chance present itself that I can make a difference in the outcome of such violence, I will prevail.

While I do not personally know any of the victims, it hit’s close to home. I was a Paramedic in that county for a short time and for many years in the neighboring county.
    Folks, if this can happen in that small town, it can happen anywhere.
    My thoughts go out to all the family and friends.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Yup... what Bark'n said!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You know...since you mentioned it, rural to me means the need to be more independent than urban. I figure rural communities may be more of a target in a lot of areas, and for those who live far away from any community (out in the boonies where I should be) they should be totally independent on most things.
    Far away gunshots seldom raise eyebrows out in the boonies. Law enforcement seldom make appearances in the boonies. There are seldom witnesses to anything in the boonies.
    I pray for those affected by this tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You know...since you mentioned it, rural to me means the need to be more independent than urban. I figure rural communities may be more of a target in a lot of areas, and for those who live far away from any community (out in the boonies where I should be) they should be totally independent on most things.
    Far away gunshots seldom raise eyebrows out in the boonies. Law enforcement seldom make appearances in the boonies. There are seldom witnesses to anything in the boonies.
    I pray for those affected by this tragedy.
    Ram Rod, I agree 100%

Down where I used to live, it really didn't matter if you locked your doors or not. (We did, of course!)

But in all seriousness, if someone wanted in your house, they could literally take a chainsaw and cut a friggon hole in the side of your house and neighbors would either not hear it, or if they did hear it, wouldn't raise an eyebrow at the sound of a chainsaw running in the distance.

We were always armed 24/7 living down there and still are today living in the middle of a small town.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links