Neutral - Could Have Been Ugly - Lemmon Valley, NV

This is a discussion on Neutral - Could Have Been Ugly - Lemmon Valley, NV within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Attempted Burglary Ends with Shot Fired at Homeowner Police are investigating after a Lemmon Valley homeowner was shot at by a Sheriff's Deputy while ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Police: Attempted Burglary Ends with Shot Fired at Homeowner

Police are investigating after a Lemmon Valley homeowner was shot at by a Sheriff's Deputy while trying to defend his property from a suspected burglar Saturday night.

Rocky Triplett with the Sparks Police Department says just before midnight Saturday, a drunk man, 35-year-old Christopher Pool, entered his neighbor's yard at 430 Paramount Ct. in Lemmon Valley. Pool was allegedly trying to either steal a car or burglarize the home. Pool didnít know that the homeowners were home at the time.

Police say they received a call to respond to the home after it was reported that a suspicious man had climbed a fence, and was trying to steal a car.

The intruder was drunk and uncooperative when police entered the yard and began questioning him.

According to Police, the homeowners, Vince and Veronica Henderson, were aware of an intruder on their property after seeing him in their yard. Mrs. Henderson quickly turned on lights around the garage. Mr. Henderson grabbed his gun and went after Pool.

Deputies say they saw Mr. Henderson coming around the corner of the garage with a gun and a flashlight in his hands. One of the Deputies shouted at Henderson to drop his gun, but then fearing for his safety, fired a shot towards Henderson. Henderson was not hit.

After realizing that police had arrived, Mr. Henderson put his gun down. He and his wife were briefly detained and questioned. Police then arrested Pool.

No one was injured in the incident.

The Reno Police Department, Washoe County Sheriff's Office and Sparks Police Department are all investigating the incident. The names of the deputies are not being released at this time.
    This couple should have followed Retsupt's long time advice and "STAY INDOORS".
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Agreed. ^^

Even if the shot hd not been produced by a cop, it may have bee the criminals unknown and prior unseen 'backup'...If not the criminal himself.
    Why exit your home to go into danger when you can secure yourself within it?

Stay inside, call the cops...and if the BG happens to steal your riding lawn mower, tools, or car then let it go. You have insurance. And be as good a witness as possible.
    No easily repairable/replaceable knick knack property is worth ones life (!).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Very stupid on the homeowner,perfect example of how not to confront a burglar
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed. ^^

Even if the shot hd not been produced by a cop, it may have bee the criminals unknown and prior unseen 'backup'...If not the criminal himself.

Stay inside, call the cops...and if the BG happens to steal your riding lawn mower, tools, or car then let it go. You have insurance. And be as good a witness as possible.

- Janq
    While I agree with the lawnmower not being worth the owner's life, and staying inside calling 911 a safer bet, I do think that the life of the scumbag stealing the lawnmower is worth taking over 'stuff'.

In TX, that is safely defended in the courts, and few other states allow such a defense.
    Taking 'stuff' can adversely effect one's livelyhood and cripple a family's income...thus, I'm not opposed to offenders who wish to prey upon hard-working folks by stealing anything of value, paying the ultimate price.
    OMO...I'm sure others will disagree.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

+1. Stay Indoors is the right protocol.

Also, it sounds like this deputy needs to get to the range.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

Yup. If you own a gun, better study up.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...In TX, that is safely defended in the courts, and few other states allow such a defense.
    Taking 'stuff' can adversely effect one's livelyhood and cripple a family's income...thus, I'm not opposed to offenders who wish to prey upon hard-working folks by stealing anything of value, paying the ultimate price.
    OMO...I'm sure others will disagree.
    We all know though that for all intents and purposes as related to law and legality, Texas might as well be it's own country.

But my post was not in relation to law and legality.
    Simply survival.

If a person has product/property of some sort out and about their land property that is critical to their livelihood and could cripple their income production means, which were' referring to broadly as being "stuff", then the very normal and wise thing to do is to insure that product under at a minimum a rider to their home/property insurance if not have specific coverage for same under a business/commercial specific plan.

It would make no business sense at all to have property such as what you describe in real value left uninsured.
    The dangers and results of failure to do so without any regard to potential crime has been shown and learned many times over through history. Most notably with business losses during and after as well as through Katrina.

Even as in Texas where laws are specific to degrees varying from much of the rest of the country, the bottom line remains the same.
    Insure your property in general never mind any property that is critical to your business or ability to generate income. Be it your means of transport to and from work/market, tractor, tools, or even your computer(s) for those who work with as much on their own private property.
    Secondly no property is worth ones life. Specifically _your own_ which is what and who I was referring to in my prior post.
    Yes you can secure medical and life insurance as well on yourself, but the payout on ones self is not and often not commensurate to that of your life and otherwise being available to your family.

As to the life of the BG stealing property from others.
    I am not aware of any state that by law imposes a death penalty sentence for theft of product, be it personal or government owned.
    But that is a whole other discussion and item to which in my prior post I was not addressing.

Product insurance is relatively inexpensive.
    Medical insurance, recovery therapy and/or being disabled and/or funeral costs are very expensive.

Stay indoors.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    +1 on staying inside. People tend to get themselves into trouble whenever they exit...

TOF
    One of the reasons our city streets are so dangerous is that most people dive in a hole and fail to stop bad actions when they can. That is part of the sheep response.

I happen to reside 60 miles from the nearest police station and have no intention being held hostage in a hidy hole while some jerk takes all I have worked for during the hour and a half it takes for the law to show up if they ever do.

I do not however intend to start flashing a bright light all over the place to advertise where I am at any moment so their backup can take potshots at me.

I am not promoting taking the law in to your own hands but I do believe in protecting myself and what is mine. If a BG decides to raise the anty by carrying a weapon then so be it.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    ...I am not promoting taking the law in to your own hands but I do believe in protecting myself and what is mine. If a BG decides to raise the anty by carrying a weapon then...
    ...Release your perimeter defense force of dogs, plural.

For folk who live in extra rural areas such as being 60 miles (an hour drive!) from law enforcement, then it should be thought of as mandatory to maintain your own security patrol force in the form of working dogs.

Two or three medium to large frame 'farm' dogs in cost to purchase, train, and maintain is worth a lot less than a near miss bullet to their owner...never mind being wounded. With a 60 mile drive ahead of you what would one do next, after being shot. Good luck calling for an ambulance or trying to drive yourself/be driven to the hospital in time.

People who live as you do TOF amongst that kind of far out condition all kinds of should be keeping dogs....to investigate and engage BGs, as you remain inside.

$0.02 Street

- Janq

I can understand people wanting to protect their hard-earned property, but wouldn't he have heard police sirens as they pulled up, or would they have rolled up silently on a call like this? I always expected that I'd have my gun out after a defensive shooting to cover the bad guy, and then holster up when I hear the cops arriving so I don't get shot on sight.

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    I can understand people wanting to protect their hard-earned property, but wouldn't he have heard police sirens as they pulled up, or would they have rolled up silently on a call like this? I always expected that I'd have my gun out after a defensive shooting to cover the bad guy, and then holster up when I hear the cops arriving so I don't get shot on sight.
    Police often turn off lights and sirens as they approach the scene of a non-violent crime because they don't wish to warn off the perpetrators. If it is a violent assault of some sort, they will have lights and sirens blaring the whole way because ending the assault is more important than capturing the criminals.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    Agreed. ^^

- Janq

I understand from this perspective, but from another , specifically here in Mi., I'm in a very rural area,{farmland}, and my "lawnmower "
    as you would refer to it costs $3200., My Plow tractor for snow removal of 300ft. of drive and 900ft. of private road cost me $5700. and telling the Ins. com. to ante up is just going to raise my premiums, and or get me kicked off their policy.

Definitely a sticky wicket from this perspective!

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    Last edited by oneshot; October 18th, 2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add text
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    maybe, maybe not

we get these calls pretty regularly and do not run code 3 on them when a prowler is only outside doing their thing

if the BG actively trying to break in a door/etc or has made entry in the house then we do run C3

key to this situation is that the wife could have stayed on the phone with 911 while husband is prepared to defend them all from the concealment of their house/room, then they both would have known that LEOs had arrived

Another piece of advice......keep your cell phone in your bedroom, my wife and I both keep our cell phones on the chargers in the bedroom at night. Two nights ago we had a nude man break in the backyard of an officer's residence while the officer was at work. Wife looked outside upon hearing noises, armed herself and went to call 911....phone lines were cut. Her cell phone was handy and made the call.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

TOF
    ...Release your perimeter defense force of dogs, plural.

For folk who live in extra rural areas such as being 60 miles (an hour drive!) from law enforcement, then it should be thought of as mandatory to maintain your own security patrol force in the form of working dogs.

Two or three medium to large frame 'farm' dogs in cost to purchase, train, and maintain is worth a lot less than a near miss bullet to their owner...never mind being wounded. With a 60 mile drive ahead of you what would one do next, after being shot. Good luck calling for an ambulance or trying to drive yourself/be driven to the hospital in time.

People who live as you do TOF amongst that kind of far out condition all kinds of should be keeping dogs....to investigate and engage BGs, as you remain inside.

$0.02 Street

- Janq
    Dog or Dog's is part of the home defense plan in the boonies and they work quite well. I at the moment have one 90 pound hound. I turn her loose and then back her up if trouble appears to be lurking in the dark or light. Thankfuly to date it has only been Bears, Cougars and Raccoons which rapidly departed.

I will not however be held hostage quivering in the back bedroom while some no good goes through all my stuff.

That is my choice, yours may differ.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links