Detroit woman kills purse snatcher - Page 2

Detroit woman kills purse snatcher

This is a discussion on Detroit woman kills purse snatcher within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I misread, thanks for pointing that out. Still not sure I can find it justified fighting for her purse. In Ohio, you cannot use lethal ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I misread, thanks for pointing that out. Still not sure I can find it justified fighting for her purse. In Ohio, you cannot use lethal force to protect property, not sure about MI.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Every job has its risks and rewards. And that includes bank jobs, stick-up jobs, etc. These two knew the sore when they went to work for the day. Bravo, madam.

DM2
    I saw this story this morning on the news before I left for work. I was pretty concerned as this is not far from my house. When it was reported on the news this morning, they called it an attempted carjacking. If that was the case, I was told in my CPL class that we, in MI, are allowed to use deadly force in three situations, home invasions, rape and carjackings. MI also has a "No retreat" law that allows deadly force in situations like this where the victim/CPL holder is anywhere they have a legal right to be and they are not the aggressor. (hopefully my fellow MI residents will correct anything that is in error here for me)

All we have are the brief news stories, so we'll have to wait and see what the legal eagles come up with. However, our prosecutor here is known for being hard-nosed. She gained her "popularity" (I use that word very lightly) as an assistant prosecutor in the mid-nineties successfully prosecuting two veteran cops for beating and killing a man high on drugs at the time. I can't remember now why they were interacting with him. More recently, she is known for prosecuting our now infamous "gangsta" ex-mayor. If she thinks she can make a case, she will probably attempt to go after this victim. I am not familiar with her stance on concealed carry but there have been other cases where CPL holders defended themselves and were not prosecuted. Also, as long as this is ruled a clean shoot, she (the victim) cannot face any civil action in MI. My only concern is that she may have to defend herself again since the other BG had her purse (it was recovered). If I were her, I'd be driving a rental and staying with friends or family for a while in case of retaliation. A convertible Jag in that area would be easy to spot/target.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Still not sure I can find it justified fighting for her purse.
    I won't argue with your point, but I have read many instances where a victim fully complied during a robbery, then was shot dead anyway.

Her shooting the perps gave her the highest chance of living through the event.

Good for her.

Adult crime. Adult response.

Kudos to the victim for refusing to be. Am glad she's undamaged. Tough for the criminals, that they had to re-learn simple civility.

Still not sure I can find it justified fighting for her purse.
    We don't have many of the details as were seen from the victim's eyes. IMO, it's always justifiable to fight for what's yours. Certain states put into law criminalization of citizens if they take apparently punitive action against alleged criminals, effectively acting as judge, jury and executioner with a response that doesn't "fit the crime." Unknown exactly what actions this victim took at which point in the attack. Without knowing that, it's impossible to label this as unjustifiable.

Consider a "wallet snatching" in a similar situation. I can tell you that if I'm able to get away with only having tossed my wallet over yonder, then I'll call it a successful ejection from a potentially violent encounter. However, twist it up a bit, in which the attacker has ME as the punching bag, where I am being beaten, or where a knife/gun is involved, or perhaps where my life has been specifically threatened, than the entire situation has changed. In THOSE circumstances, the same use of a defensive firearm to ward off the attacker would be seen entirely differently. The thing is, in this case, we do NOT know any of these crucial details as to how threatening the attacker was, whether specific threats or weapons were produced that change the severity, etc (unless I've missed something). However, we know it's a felony robbery, 5:30am, a two-on-one attack, male against female, they're perhaps armed, they perhaps threatened her with violence beyond merely "snatching a purse." Those elements change things quite a bit, instead of simply hearing "purse" and thinking "unjustified" covers it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    The "Freep" or Detroit Free Press is the local liberal newspaper, and as usual they choose not to mention if the BG's were armed, what if any assualt, occured, a lot of info missing.
    Not surprising, just missing.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

You're joking right???

Give praise, but this was a bad shoot. These guys were running off, therefore the threat was gone and deadly force was not necessary to preserve her safety. I think crime does not pay, but in my eyes, although a victim of a crime, she too is a criminal.
    Actually many states allow deadly force to be used against criminals that are a continuing threat to the community. A good example is a rapist shot and killed as he exits the bedroom window of his victim. Allowing him to remain at large is a threat to other women who may be victimized.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Give praise, but this was a bad shoot. These guys were running off, therefore the threat was gone and deadly force was not necessary to preserve her safety. I think crime does not pay, but in my eyes, although a victim of a crime, she too is a criminal.
    I have not read all the pages of thread yet so if this has been covered already I apologize. Here in Texas under the Castle Doctrine and CHL laws you can protect property even to chase and fire on robbers with deadly force. Had this happened in Texas it would be a justified shooting and exempt from lawsuit by one shoot and his family etc.

Only way it could have been better was if she had shot them both .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Fighting for your personal belongings IS justified because removing the option of fighting for them only emboldens criminals. Attacks will occur more frequently with less discretion and all for what? To protect the life or safety of a criminal while he plies his trade? To make sure he's operating at 100% the next time he does it? No way.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Now she's likely to face the Detroit legal system. I hope it goes well for her.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmoore View Post
    Only way it could have been better was if she had shot them both .
    That's right!

And as some stated in this post, it's nice to live in a State that protects the victoms!
    [One Nation Under God]

VIP Member
    Minus all the facts and based on "She fired several rounds at the suspects and they fled", good job!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Pompous,arrogant....

and absurd to assume that one would know the extent to which a criminal attacker will go in perpetrating the attack. So, one should wait to determine how far the perp intends to go before defending against the attack? Did you really think that one through, justherenow? You actually pronounced the woman a 'criminal,too'. Talk about a 'rush to judgement', sheeeeesh!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Calling it a purse snatching is inaccurate. It was at least a strong arm or armed robbery. Possibly her weapon was in the purse.

If a man is relieved of his wallet, it is not called a wallet snatching. The suggestion in using that terminology is that it was a crime of opportunity, the silly girl should not have had her valuables dangling about for anyone to just grab. That argument doesn't work for rape anymore, so the term 'purse snatching' should be tossed out of our lexicon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links