Detroit woman kills purse snatcher - Page 3

Detroit woman kills purse snatcher

This is a discussion on Detroit woman kills purse snatcher within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fighting for your personal belongings IS justified because removing the option of fighting for them only emboldens criminals. Was she fighting for belongings in a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fighting for your personal belongings IS justified because removing the option of fighting for them only emboldens criminals.
    Was she fighting for belongings in a purse? Or, was she fighting to resist a person crime that was seriously threatening her life?

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    Pompous,arrogant.... and absurd to assume that one would know the extent to which a criminal attacker will go in perpetrating the attack. So, one should wait to determine how far the perp intends to go before defending against the attack?
    It absolutely is absurd to suggest someone must presume the least possible danger is what's going to happen, hence one's defensive response should be calibrated to that least-risk and least-harm possibility.

Fact is, any strong-arm or armed robbery can go horribly sideways at a moment's notice. People die every single day from such heinous crimes, and the major distinguishing factor is the moral grounding of the felon and whether he's feeling randy, hateful, sadistic, lucky, or just mulling over the bad burrito he had for lunch. ONE CAN EASILY DIE with these sorts of crimes. Easily, at the whim of the cowards committing these crimes.

In short: if you've never had a strong-armed robbery or violent mugging give you its wonderful "kiss" at 2am, you don't know what you're missing. It is one of the most breathtaking and fearful moments you'll ever encounter. Your life is on the line. It's obscene to demand that victims are disallowed from defending against such severe person crimes and must act as though "all the nice, little criminal wants is your money."

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Calling it a purse snatching is inaccurate. It was at least a strong arm or armed robbery.
    I absolutely agree.

To call something "purse snatching" or "wallet snatching" is like calling rape "fluid snatching." It wholly ignores and disrespects the horribly dangerous person crime involved.

Though, I'm guessing the D.A.'s degree of zealotry will depend on whether the two robbers were already fleeing or whether she was still at bodily risk from them.

In other words, at the time of the shooting, was she defending against the threat from the person crime it was (strong-armed robbery)? Or, were they already fleeing, hence the direct threat to her person to her had already passed?

At this point, I haven't seen enough detail in the newsie reports.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No video from the gas station?! What gas station does not have video nowadays?

All this second guessing drives me nuts. It's simple folks, Play stupid games, win stupid prizes! I say good shoot!

Mmmm. I wonder how much the local news isn't telling us.
    "Purse snatching" makes it sound like someone grabbed the bag and yanked as they ran past.
    Did the Liberal Rag conveniently "forget to mention" the perp had/showed/implied/threatened to use a weapon?
    But then I've learned the media isn't terribly addicted to the truth these days.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

i find it hard to believe that detroit criminals dont have a weapon of some kind?

part of the article mentions "she had a weapon of her own" would imply that they (the criminals) had weapons but the article omitted any such direct reference.

ccw9mm
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I followed the sheepish media here last night, two out of the three local TV news channels mentioned the story, but no mention of what weapons the BG's were carrying, only the mention that she carries and fired, the one who later died is a "possible suspect" the second remains at large. They seemed more interested in the fact that she was prepared to defend herself and did, if they had any idea of how many CPL's have been issued in the Tri-County area, I think they may be shocked
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Glad she came out safe. CC worked for her. Wish my wife would come around and get into it.
    For God, Family and Country!

She shouldn't have to move just because the other guy got away. If he tries to physically harm her, do to him what she did to the other guy. I live in this area too, and will soon receive my concealed permit in the mail. I think she did nothing wrong. These teenage punks should realize,when you try and rob someone you take the chance of getting your head blown off. So called mothers in Detroit better teach your teenage sons and daughters to stay off the street and stop robbing and killing people.Because if your kid steps in my direction and I feel the lives of my family or myself are threatened ,I wont hesitate to but a bullet in your kids head.

I live in this area too, and these teenage punks have no respect for other people and no value for human life.She felt her life was threatened and she shot his sorry ass , too bad she didn't get the other one. But I bet his mother will be on the news ,"my baby this and my baby that,and he was a good boy".But your baby was out at night or early in the morning robbing and sticking guns in peoples faces.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Give praise, but this was a bad shoot. These guys were running off, therefore the threat was gone and deadly force was not necessary to preserve her safety. I think crime does not pay, but in my eyes, although a victim of a crime, she too is a criminal.
    It depends where you live. Good shoot in TX.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I expected others to disagree with my view, which is fine, there are views I disagree with as well, but were all friends here, which is the good part.

As for "good shoot in TX", we should all have TX laws, but we dont. TX is a whole different world, and now that my ex-wife lives there, well, lets leave that one alone, LOL
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Michigan Legislature

SELF-DEFENSE ACT (EXCERPT)
    Act 309 of 2006

780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.

Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Here's a different article. Still not enough details but I sure hope she comes out O.K.

Hoss

Detroit woman turns gun on purse snatcher
    Suspect, who fled, may be man who died later at hospital; shooter had permit to carry
    Delores Flynn / The Detroit News

Detroit -- A Detroit woman whose purse was snatched early Friday morning while she was pumping gas allegedly took matters into her own hands and shot the suspect with a concealed weapon.

Police have yet to definitively identify whether a man who died at an area hospital Friday was involved in the robbery but say it's a "very strong possibility."

The shooting happened around 5 a.m. at the Mobil gas station at Schoolcraft and Southfield, Detroit Police Sgt. Eren Stephens Bell said.

Advertisement

A woman in her 40s was pumping gas when she was approached by a man who demanded her purse and said if she didn't comply, he'd shoot her.

After the suspect snatched the purse, the woman, who has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon, shot several rounds at the suspect who fled on foot, Bell said.

Officials believe a second suspect may have been involved and are questioning witnesses for information, Bell said.

It isn't clear where the woman's concealed weapon was before the shooting.

"A guy did die at a local hospital from gunshot wounds, but we have yet to confirm if it's the individual involved in this case," said Bell, who did not know the number of gunshot wounds the suspect sustained.

The victim's purse was recovered but police aren't saying how.

Investigators are running gun ballistic tests and will forward findings to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office to determine whether the victim will be charged. Detroit Police spokesman John Roach declined to comment on whether the shooting appears justifiable.

"In terms of a value judgment, that has to come from the prosecutor," Roach said.

A call to the Prosecutor's Office was not immediately returned Friday.

The case remains under investigation.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I misread, thanks for pointing that out. Still not sure I can find it justified fighting for her purse. In Ohio, you cannot use lethal force to protect property, not sure about MI.
    Well, I highly doubt the guys just walked up to her and said "may I please have your purse, maam? This is arobbery, by the way. If you don't want to, that's ok, we'll leave and you have a nice day!"

It was probably more of "gimme your purse or I'll kill you!"

Threat of criminal deadly force = you have a right to defend yourself. She wasn't defending her purse per se. Just like how shooting someone trying to carjack you may partially be about your car, but is mostly about the scumbag about to pull the trigger at you.

jfl
    A woman in her 40s was pumping gas when she was approached by a man who demanded her purse and said if she didn't comply, he'd shoot her.
    At this point she had reasons to believe h had a gun and she was in fear for her life.
    Therefore, I'll say "Good shoot"
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links