Detroit woman kills purse snatcher

This is a discussion on Detroit woman kills purse snatcher within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; implies they were armed in the original story "so she had a weapon of her own,"...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Detroit woman kills purse snatcher

implies they were armed in the original story "so she had a weapon of her own,"

2. Remove Ads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by News Article, write-up of situation
    "They didn't realize she has a CCW (license), so she had a weapon of her own," Roach said. "She fired several rounds at the suspects and they fled."
    Note the wording: she fired on the BG's, and THEN they fled.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Give praise, but this was a bad shoot. These guys were running off, therefore the threat was gone and deadly force was not necessary to preserve her safety. I think crime does not pay, but in my eyes, although a victim of a crime, she too is a criminal.
    I expected others to disagree with my view, which is fine ...
    justherenow: Is there another write-up of the circumstances in this specific situation?

It's not a matter of disagreeing with you. It's a simple matter of not seeing where you've seen facts that have not been reported or existed at the time.

Are you basing your comments of "bad shoot" on assumption, or is there some other write-up of the circumstances of the crime that have not been reported here?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd say it doesn't matter one iota if it was a good or bad shoot. She took the responsibility of her personal safety into mind, obtained a concealed weapons permit and exercised her RIGHT to do so. Isn't this exactly what we as permit holders discuss daily? Whatever happend to the criminal(s) in this robbery, purse snatching........whatever......they DESERVE it, they chose to be criminals and thumb their noses to any and every law preventing crime. I feel no sympathy for any criminal. It is the reason why we all go to great lengths to obtain permits and firearms.

The more that legal, concealed weapon permit holders are questioned about their right of self-defense, it will only empower criminals to do anything, including killing an innocent woman over the contents of her purse.

The perp had no right to take anything this woman had, period. He died because he chose the wrong profession and person.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Indeed. We could debate politics, morals, the laws, and our personal views on this until the sun quits shining. The most important thing is there's one less criminal on the streets of America now and it hasn't cost taxpayers a dime.

Give praise, but this was a bad shoot. These guys were running off, therefore the threat was gone and deadly force was not necessary to preserve her safety. I think crime does not pay, but in my eyes, although a victim of a crime, she too is a criminal.
    Roach said. "She fired several rounds at the suspects and they fled."
    A woman in her 40s was pumping gas when she was approached by a man who demanded her purse and said if she didn't comply, he'd shoot her.
    Sounds like a good shoot to me
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I don't think I would consider a fellow CC operator who used their weapon to defend their rights, but possibly made a bad call, if it comes down to that; A criminal. They made a mistake sure, but the BG brought the problem to her and she reacted to it. He got the bad end of the situation, poor *******. I hope she comes out no worse for wear, and I too am glad another piece of chit is gone.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    where in the article does it say that??

It said she fired several shots and they fled.

Notice the chain of events as they were explained

She SHOT........ THEY FLED

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    He rescinded that remark several posts ago.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

It sounds as if it is a justifiable shooting. I pray that the Grand Jury sees it that way. This is the time for them to hand down a "no bill."

Scott

My .02 living in Michigan. Was she in fear of great bodily harm, death, or rape? Did the offenders have the means, motive, and opportunity to kill, rape, or commit great bodily harm? The prosecuting attorney will look at these things in the context of the event and make his call. The reason that I posted the legislation was to point out that in Michigan you cannot use deadly force to protect your property, only to protect yourself or others from the above mentioned three things.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    My .02 living in Michigan. Was she in fear of great bodily harm, death, or rape? Did the offenders have the means, motive, and opportunity to kill, rape, or commit great bodily harm? The prosecuting attorney will look at these things in the context of the event and make his call.
    A.O.J., basically. You're right.

Except in Texas under certain circumstances, it's pretty much required that an attacker have the physical ability, the reasonable opportunity and that the victim be in significant jeopardy of loss of life or crippling injury before a person is going to be seen as being justified in taking a life. That's as it should be, since we're all citizens, the upstanding and the wayward alike.

Uncertain where this "purse snatching" occurred, whether there were lots of witnesses, whether it got captured on video, whether they outwardly threatened her or just snatched it and ran as implied, whether she was being pounded on, whether she was at legitimate risk of crippling injury or loss of life at the moment she decided it was time for the firearm, or ... There are a lot of variables, as you suggest. The prosecuting attorney and the investigators are going to be examining these things in minute detail, if history shows anything. Better to be damned certain and (ideally) have witnesses galore to corroborate what happened. Better to meet the "higher" standard, than otherwise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

the dead perp is not around to contradict victim's story to grand jury

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links