Detroit woman kills purse snatcher

This is a discussion on Detroit woman kills purse snatcher within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Detroit woman kills alleged purse snatcher By TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER A 43-year-old woman shot and killed a suspected purse snatcher who ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Detroit woman kills purse snatcher

Detroit woman kills purse snatcher

Detroit woman kills alleged purse snatcher
    By TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A 43-year-old woman shot and killed a suspected purse snatcher who confronted her at a northwest Detroit gas station this morning, according to police.

Two men approached the Detroit woman at about 5:30 a.m. at the Schoolcraft and Southfield Mobil station, Detroit Police spokesman John Roach said. The woman is licensed to legally carry a gun for self-defense, he said.

"They didn't realize she has a CCW (license), so she had a weapon of her own," Roach said. "She fired several rounds at the suspects and they fled."

The pair made off with the woman's purse. But about a half-hour later, a man with several gunshot wounds went to Sinai-Grace Hospital for treatment and died later this morning.

"At this point, we believe this is one of the individuals in the robbery," Roach said about the man who was shot.

Investigators recovered the woman's purse and believe the person who accompanied the wounded man to the hospital may be his accomplice, Roach said.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to call the Detroit Police Homicide Unit at 313-596-2260.

Detroit woman kills alleged purse snatcher | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Good for her
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Hats off to the little lady...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mark one for the good guys, oops, good gals
    Gun control is two hands on a 500 Smith/Wesson

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Give praise, but this was a bad shoot. These guys were running off, therefore the threat was gone and deadly force was not necessary to preserve her safety. I think crime does not pay, but in my eyes, although a victim of a crime, she too is a criminal.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I was thinking exact same JTN. :|

I hope the report is incorrect and that she fired as they engaged her rather than she firing as they were fleeing, and thus as you stated no longer a mortal threat to her.
    Also I hope his wounds are all front or even side entry, and that she doesn't suffer any greater than she has for this.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    She fired several rounds AND they fled, not AS they fled.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Give praise, but this was a bad shoot. These guys were running off, therefore the threat was gone and deadly force was not necessary to preserve her safety. I think crime does not pay, but in my eyes, although a victim of a crime, she too is a criminal.
    Hmm, possibly? I'll wait to pass judgement until the rest of the facts come out. Being a local case I'll probably hear more as the investigation goes on. Hopefully it was a good shoot, I tend to think like Ted, I like dead offenders.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Way to go!! GREAT JOB
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

pax
    justherenow ~

"She fired several rounds at the suspects and they fled."
    That is quite different from, "They fled and she fired several rounds at them."

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Lets see they got her purse with address info,probably keys,other info,and just cause they run off you think the threats over,Thank god I live in Texas,He won't be robbing anybody else now,maybe your mom or wife etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If this was in Texas she would have been able to fire at them AS they fled and still be within her legal rights. Considering that she wouldnt be a criminal in Texas I think branding her a "criminal" just because she is in a different state a bit extreme. Based on the article text it looks as if she let the lead fly and they managed to run away. Sounds good to me in any state with a stand your gound law

As it is written it says she shot them and THEN they fled, therefore sounds like a good shoot to me! Bravo!
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Folks,

As jumpwing pointed out above, the original article states:

Quote: "She fired several shots at them AND they fled." Unquote. It does NOT say as they fled.

Based on the wording of the original article I think this sounds like a slam dunk good shoot.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Even if she shot them the next day I would not convict her if I was on the jury. As long as crooks like that are alive they are a threat to someone and the quicker they die the better off the world is. Some people think a human life is worth more than property but I know property is worth more than a crooks life. Larry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links