Customer tackles bank robber.

This is a discussion on Customer tackles bank robber. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good Samaritan Tackles Robber, Police Say - Milwaukee News Story - WISN Milwaukee Man Arrested In West Allis Credit Union Robbery WEST ALLIS, Wis. -- ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customer tackles bank robber.

Customer tackles bank robber.

Good Samaritan Tackles Robber, Police Say - Milwaukee News Story - WISN Milwaukee
    Man Arrested In West Allis Credit Union Robbery

WEST ALLIS, Wis. -- A man was arrested on charges of robbing Guardian Credit Union, 11200 W. Oklahoma Ave., according to West Allis Police.

Bank Cam Video: Man Tackles Robber In West Allis

The incident happened late Tuesday morning.

Police said the man is in custody because he was tackled by a Good Samaritan inside the bank.

No injuries have been reported.

At the top right-hand corner of the screen of the video, you'll see a 54-year-old bank customer waiting for his wife.

While grabbing a bag of popcorn, the 21-year-old robbery suspect, wearing a hooded sweatshirt, walks through the doors.

Seconds later, the suspect with his face covered, hands three tellers a note.

The employees start taking cash out of their drawers. Police say the robber collected $8,000.

That's when the husband who was patiently waiting starts moving toward the accused robber, finally lunging at the masked criminal.

Moments later, the frightened wife is jumping and screaming as her husband wrestles to keep the suspect on the ground.

The suspect has not yet been charged. Police say he has no prior criminal record.
    It's not clear from the video that his wife had any idea what was going on, otherwise she might have turned around and made for the exit.

What would you do if you were in this situation, at the back of the bank waiting for your wife, observing a highly suspicious man at the front counter not far from her, and a concerned look on the faces of the nearby tellers while the wife seems oblivious?

2. Remove Ads

A pretty risky thing to do, but it worked out fairly well (not for the GB).
    I was glad to see the younger teller step up to the plate and help.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Honest truth?

Let him rob the bank, score the coin as fully insured by the FDIC...and myself remain to the back observing at distance not giving away my tactical advantage of him not being aware of my presence.

I though would have been armed, as in this case.

I would not go tackling any person.
    Instead I'd have walked up behind this person and hit him over the head with the heaviest most dense thing I could find at hand. If nothing dense were at hand I'd then,as being this gentleman,made the choice to punch him flat fisted with as much force as I could muster into the back of the neck just below the base of the skull, as a 'Rabbit Punch'. With that it's instant stun TKO if not altogether lights out.
    Assuming of course he'd let me get that close without hearing my movement or sensing my presence.

Dude got lucky with the tackle maneuver.
    Lucky that the guy did not have a weapon such as a firearm or _blade_ concealed on his person at if not in hand.
    All this guy could see was his back, not his front nor his hands.

Lucky.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Give him a miss piggy karate chop hiyah
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Looks like the wife got her two cents worth in - kicked the slug in the head!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    That was the part that made me laugh!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    What would you do if you were in this situation, at the back of the bank waiting for your wife, observing a highly suspicious man at the front counter not far from her, and a concerned look on the faces of the nearby tellers while the wife seems oblivious?
    Pretty clear cut, the piece of plastic in my wallet says "Concealed Handgun License", not "Law Enforcement Officer".

With my wife separated from me, I would walk up calmly to her, take her arm in a manner where she knows I am not tickling but trying to get her attention, and quietly say to her: "We are leaving now".

If I had access to the front doors or an emergency exit, we would calmly walk out of the building. I would then get out the cell phone, stay on the line with dispatch describing the situation, and then give the details of the robber's egress. When the cops showed up, I would give a full description and give them the robber's plates and anything else they needed.

If the robber was between my wife and me, that changes the situation. Because I cannot get to my wife and leave the building, I would be looking around for a blunt object I could utilize. Try to quietly walk up behind the robber, who is hopefully tunnel visioned with adrenaline, and try to make it lights out in one blow.

There was a similar instance not to long ago involving a teller in Seattle : http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-robber-8.html

I am sure this thread discussion will run parallel when it comes to the tactics and how to handle this situation.

The way I look at it, I am not a cop, I am not Peter Parker, why do I care if a guy makes off with a few thousand of FDIC insured funds. I leave the LEO stuff to the LEO's, I am not risking my life on tackling this guy if I can exit safely.

What if this robber had a knife, and once tackled, took it out and was able to stab and kill the tackler? What if the robber sustained an injury while he was being tackled? How would you feel when this good Samaritan is now out hundreds of hours of time and thousands of dollars of his own personal money hiring an attorney to represent him against the bogus lawsuit that the robber will surely file?

If I want to go through the academy, get the badge, and learn how to properly grapple and take down suspects, I will. Until then, my responsibility is me and mine first, and dangerously tackling felons for no reason doesn't fit into my game-plan of staying safe.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

I say score one for the good guys in this case. I thought the teller in Seattle who took down the bank robber was a moron. It wasn't his actions that brought me to that conclusion, it was the circumstances and his words after the fact that decided that.

I'm a young, reasonably fit guy who is currently attending a Sheriff's Reserve Academy in California and I really doubt I would pull a similar stunt, but I won't say he did anything wrong. This isn't some young Rambo wannabe who became a teller hoping that something like this would happen.

If his wife was with another teller along the same row, there is no way he could have made it to her without attracting the robber's attention. His tactics could have been improved (a strike as opposed to a tackle) but I say he did good.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

I'm not sure the tackle was the intended plan. It looked to me like he tripped over the rope and had to change course quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I busted out laughing!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I for one would have a hard time just walking out of the bank while its being robbed. I just couldnt handle the thought that I left and innocent people were shot or killed.

Maybe thats just my mindset, but I would do what I could to ensure the safety of others.

This may not seem like the best answer but that the mindset that I have....

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Cool. Glad it worked out and no one hurt.
    For God, Family and Country!

After watching the video, the safest thing may have been to move the wife out of the way and let the thief exit. I'm in no way obligated to protect the bank's money. Actually, MI law would prohibit it. Now, if he drew a weapon, that's a different story, with a different ending altogether.

That man looked like he used to be in the WWF the way he went over that rope!

I am surprised how those tellers acted and how unbelievably stupid that crook was trying 3 windows (other than the stupidity of robbing a bank).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Thanks for the video.
    Keep your powder dry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links