BAD: a murder in my small town. Very rare!

This is a discussion on BAD: a murder in my small town. Very rare! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We had a murder in our small town of Arlington Tennessee Friday night. We have lived here for 4 years now and this is the ...

Thread: BAD: a murder in my small town. Very rare!

BAD: a murder in my small town. Very rare!

We had a murder in our small town of Arlington Tennessee Friday night. We have lived here for 4 years now and this is the first I am aware of. Prior to this, the worst crime we had was an armed robbery at a restaurant here this summer in the parking lot.

It was a domestic violence situation so at least it wasn't a random home invasion or something. But still, this is a very uncommon thing out here. But just down the road in Memphis, it is an every day thing.

You can read the story here:Boyfriend_Arrested_for_Double_Murder
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Poor life choices got that woman killed, if it was the boyfriend who did it. It's a shame, but will continue to happen.

Again, if the boyfriend is indeed the killer, he certainly wasn't a brain trust, now was he? Personally, he should face the death penalty over that one. No need for him to ever be let loose in society again. He can't handle it on the outside.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What a waste...cut off his O2...bye-bye, Tarence...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Poor life choices got that woman killed, if it was the boyfriend who did it.
    It definitely might seem that way on the surface, much in the way that you could say that a young Marine was killed in Iraq because of poor life choices he made.

Unfortunately, as one who had a sister killed in a domestic violence incident earlier this year, I can say that it can happen to any of us, regardless of the choices we might make . . .

We had a domestic violence murder in my neighborhood this summer. Guy stabbed his G/F in the throat after taking the knife away from her during an argument. I can actually look out my front windows and see the roof of the house a block away. My neighborhood appears to be a nice one too. It has been said here many times, it can happen anytime, anyplace and anywhere. Almost to the point where nothing really surprises me in this day and age.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

For women as per many different statistics sources, the single most dangerous time frame in their life is when they are most vulnerable...As being pregnant.

The number of domestic abuse case and murder cases as against pregnant women is staggering.
    For anyone out there reading this who happens to know a pregnant woman who has even a remotely tenuous relationship with the father( be it BF, husband, or whatever!), do know and think to keep tabs on _both_ persons.

Sadly this event and result is not at all unusual in the US, as related to pregnant women . :|
    Pregnant Woman Missing: Homicide is the Leading Cause of Death Among Pregnant Women - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

DM2
    How sad for her family. It breaks my heart to read these stories constantly.
    Last edited by DM2; September 28th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

some people need to practice thinking,instead of just reacting.it would have only taken a one hour cool down time to avoid this whole thing.i cant stand people that cant control their emotions.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    We had a murder suicide a month or so ago not far from my home, it too was domestic. The sad thing, and the media was sure to report, the suspect had a CHL.

A few years ago, about 5 or so, we had a triple murder, that was the worst crime I can remember. It was over drugs, guy shot 2 guys and a woman, luckly he did not harm the child that was present. He was caught a couple days later in Detroit and held on other charges until he was arrested here, coward pleaded out and got life, should have been given death.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

AV8ER ---- I certainly don't know the details of your sister's tragedy and I am sorry for your loss. But, if you will read the story you will find that your Marine analogy is inappropriate. The Marine chose to do something positive while the woman here chose to stay in what appears to be a very negative situation

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Murder by domestic violence can indeed happen to anyone in a relationship; much the same way that getting hit by a bus can happen to anyone who crosses a street. Some victims honestly don't see it coming, but there are many (most?) who choose--actually choose--to ignore the warning signs.

The article doesn't seem to suggest anything one way or the other about the perp's history.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    AV8ER ---- I certainly don't know the details of your sister's tragedy and I am sorry for your loss.
    I do appreciate that, Steve. It was a pretty crummy situation, no doubt. The police got him before I could get there . . . that's all I'll say about that.

[quote=StevePVB}But, if you will read the story you will find that your Marine analogy is inappropriate. The Marine chose to do something positive while the woman here chose to stay in what appears to be a very negative situation[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean any disrespect toward the fine young men and women fighting for each other every day and night. As a Marine Corps veteran myself, I hold them higher than I can measure. My only point was to demonstrate that just because somebody finds themselves in harms way, doesn't necessarily mean that bad decisions landed them in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    . . . there are many (most?) who choose--actually choose--to ignore the warning signs.
    +1.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Unless you are tight with the LEOs you don't really know what goes on in your neighborhood. I personally worked 4 homicides one year in my rural county and only 1 made the news. Also several non fatal hunting shootings that went unreported.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Sad just shows anything can happen anywhere.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Links