Sad: A Real "Accidental Discharge" - Page 3

Sad: A Real "Accidental Discharge"

This is a discussion on Sad: A Real "Accidental Discharge" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ditto Rcher. Every so often a story comes up in this forum sub-area specifically that I will take a re-forward to two others forums where ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sad: A Real "Accidental Discharge"

Ditto Rcher.

Every so often a story comes up in this forum sub-area specifically that I will take a re-forward to two others forums where I am member of.

Additionally especially poignant news storys, such as this, I will forward to my fellow instructors as well as trainer/instructors/educators that I personally have trained under through years past that have been to my own view influential.
    Then there are storys as from here that I myself will share with my own students as in courses that I instruct as related to gun safety, handling, stowage/storage rules and _laws_.

This specific story meets my own conditions to be applied to ALL THREE.
    That is a rare happens maybe once or twice a year event.

I have already downloaded the news report to the flashdrive I use to store my lesson plans on and this amongst several others will be immortalized as a DO NOT DO THIS BECAUSE THIS VERY EASILY COULD BE YOU! type real world lesson I do and in this case will share with future students.

This is serious business.

I run into gun owners in my travels who will proudly state they are NRA members this or RKBA/2A supporters that followed by I've been shootin' fuh years as since I was a yearling and if you stand around long enough out comes the commentary about politic (most often out of the blue sky...!) and "personal responsibility".
    Well to my mind and in my own world of life & living; If the shoe fits wear it and talking a good game doesn't put points on the board.

We all here on this forum and specifically in this thread deem ourselves to be proper and safe gun owners.
    So with that said then there should be no discourse nor disagreement what so ever as related to this happening, the reason for which is abundantly clear and obvious. Negligence.

Further there should be no surprise by anyone that folk posting here have commented as they have that this was completely avoidable and negligent, even as it was regrettable considering a human being died as a result of this incident.

Because a person died, who should not have, does not reduce or change the very basic lesson taught here, as only now learned by the survivor.
    Firearm incidents are very rarely accidental and most often to the lions share as _based_ in owner/handler negligence.

Such was the case here as has been clearly detailed. Arguing otherwise is simply ignoring the facts and lesson, as unfortunate and regrettable as it was. :(

I wish this would be the last type posting of this sort in this forum or any forum for that matter.
    But alas it will not be. Give it another 2 or 4 weeks there will be another. I guarantee it.
    So with that said it is the job, duty, and 'personal responsibility' for us the experienced, smart, and wise to take note of these and point out the error of these folks ways as well as to share the lessons by proxy with our own students who ever they might be. Our children, siblings, parents, friends, neighbors...and fellow forum members who not all are experienced and have been shootin' fuh years.

Or that random gun owner standing next to us at the range who may have been shootin' guns since he was a yearling sportin' an NRA life member patch/pin/sticker on his shooting jacket or vehicle...As he/she acts like a moron handling firearms in an unsafe manner looking/acting like the next gun go boom and a person died news story of woe.
    That same guy who for some very odd reason did not learn, does not know, cannot recall, cannot put to practice, or outright refuses (!) to apply the NRA's own should be well known and are largely _common sense_ Gun Safety Rules.

NRA 'Gun Safety Rules'
    http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Seriously. Enough already!
    Please.

- Janq

P.S. - This incident will be tallied by the Campaign Against Gun Violence as well as the CDC 'WISKARS' databases as being a gun related killing AND as being a woman/wife killed by a mate/husband.
    So when lawmakers decide to present a new law fo firearm restriction as against citizens guess what databases they will and do report against as being sources for their own statistical analysis? And guess who in a functional way will have_helped!_ support their case and cause?
    Yep, you guessed us...The so called safe and sane gun owners who monthly if not weekly manage to have 'accidents' resulting in people being hurt if not killed.
    Enough already! Please.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Push down on the hammer after if is relaxed and you will hit the casing,.. I've done this when cleaning (not AD, just checked) and to see if that could happen, and it can,...
    Just checked my .22 Taurus revolver, and it does have the protection pin that the hammer rests on. Would not have happened with this gun. But, as others mentioned, I'm not sure if it's truly accidental. It may be more negligent.

Sad, in any event.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by old south View Post
    I don't see how dropping a gun is negligent. Have you people never dropped anything. People that say the safety should be on need to know that very few safetys block the hammer or firing pin. The safety blocks the trigger so a drop can cause the hammer to fall. Having the gun in a holster will not stop a hammer from falling if the gun is dropped. Some say don't carry a bullet in the barrel but a self defense gun is not much use if you have to load it. Larry
    You're missing the point of the discussion here. Yes, the gun falling was an accident, but people are trying to teach new or negligent shooters who haven't thought these kinds of things through how that accident could have been avoided by properly securing the weapon.

Revolvers that I am familiar with do not have a safety that you click on and off. Newer style revolvers have a "transfer bar" or some other sort of mechanism that prevents the hammer from touching the firing pin unless the trigger has been pulled. The weapon in question was apparently an old style revolver which had no such mechanism. The only way to insure a safe carry mode for that type of revolver is to not have a cartridge loaded in the chamber which is under the hammer. That gun can still be used for self defense because when the trigger is pulled (if double action) or when the hammer is cocked (if single action) the cylinder will rotate and position a cartridge under the hammer to be fired.

Knowing this and following the rules that people have been talking about would have totally prevented this accident.

Ed

VIP Member
    In some instances UT allows a revolver to be OK if it takes 2(two) actions to get it to fire. Empty chambers under the hammer and the next in the rotation require those 2 actions.

The firing pin block of the series 80 combat commander led me to discontinue EDC of my series 70 gold cup a long time ago.

Words can't express how sad this tragedy makes me feel. I guess the older you get, the more tragedy accumulates in your consciousness. I resolve to maintain due diligence and inspire others to do the same. Each time this happens, or we find out how stupid or horrible people can be, a piece of our heart goes out. Will we allow our hearts to harden or diminish through time? Or can we find the faith and courage to soldier on, opening, growing, and sharing our hearts with those in need, while standing strong against forces of evil.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links