Sad: A Real "Accidental Discharge"

This is a discussion on Sad: A Real "Accidental Discharge" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yes, even revolvers can accidently discharge. This should be a safety reminder to us all ... secure your weapon(s) during transport. ksl.com - Woman killed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad: A Real "Accidental Discharge"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

Sad: A Real "Accidental Discharge"

Yes, even revolvers can accidently discharge. This should be a safety reminder to us all ... secure your weapon(s) during transport.

ksl.com - Woman killed in accidental shooting

SPRINGVILLE -- A young woman died in a very public, but apparently accidental shooting Sunday. Investigators say there is no reason to suspect foul play.

Police say 24-year-old Richard Case and his 19-year-old wife, Molly Ann Case, stopped at a 7-Eleven store at 206 N. Main Street around 11:45 a.m. for refreshments. They were taking a break from target shooting and camping in Hobble Creek Canyon.

Kimberley Steele stood behind the young bride in line. "They just looked like they were in there buying candy and snacks and going to go out and, you know, have fun. It didn't appear that they were fighting or anything," she said.

That's when police say things went horribly wrong.

"As they went back to the car, he opened the car door and a .22 caliber revolver fell out. And when it did, it hit the ground and discharged," said Lt. Dave Caron with the Springville Police Department. "Then he looked at her and realized that something was wrong. She kind of lifted her shirt and looked down, and then fainted."

Case was taken to the hospital, where she later died.

Steele says it was a frightening sight. "He was standing over her screaming that this was his wife, that his wife had been shot, and he was just hysterical," she said.

Gun safety expert Clark Aposhian is the chairman of the Utah Shooting Sports Council. He says it's rare for a dropped revolver to fire. "It's got to land just right on the hammer," he said.

Aposhian thinks it must have been an older gun. Modern single-action revolvers have a safety feature, a tiny bar that lifts up to cover the firing pin.

"It prevents the hammer from making contact with the firing pin unless the trigger is pressed," he said. "We have not heard of any anecdotal stories of the new models being dropped and going off, and that's since 1973."

He also recommends gun owners secure their weapons in cars, perhaps in the glove box or console.

"You just don't want it, you know, like a jug of milk. You don't want it rolling around," said Aposhian.

Caron says it's important to always put safety first. "We kind of become complacent, and this is one of those tragedies that shows we should never become complacent," he said.

If you have an older single-action revolver, you can get it retrofitted with a safety bar. In fact, Ruger will do it on their revolvers for free, including shipping.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wow, that's really sad.

As stated in a previous thread, it really depends on your definition of accidental. Why was the firearm in a position that even allowed the possibility of falling out of a car door upon opening? That's not really accidental IMO. Negligence/borderline stupidity is more appropriate. Yet another case to hurt our cause.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

A cheap $20 dollar Walmart range bag would have prevented this tragedy.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Firearms belong in holsters or safes. It really is that simple. Sad...

I've done stupid things, so I'm not going to bash this guy,. . He just lost is wife, and I'm sure for this life it will haught him.. It is truly sad, and with a 22 revolver I can totally see how that can happen,... Push down on the hammer after if is relaxed and you will hit the casing,.. I've done this when cleaning (not AD, just checked) and to see if that could happen, and it can,...

"A young woman died in a very public, but apparently accidental shooting Sunday.

"As they went back to the car, he opened the car door and a .22 caliber revolver fell out. And when it did, it hit the ground and discharged," said Lt. Dave Caron with the Springville Police Department.
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    As stated in a previous thread, it really depends on your definition of accidental. Why was the firearm in a position that even allowed the possibility of falling out of a car door upon opening? That's not really accidental IMO. Negligence/borderline stupidity is more appropriate. Yet another case to hurt our cause.
    Yup.

It fell to the ground, and nobody wanted that to occur. But that's hardly sufficient to call the situation accidental. It looks like the problem occurred because of one thing: someone failed to properly secure that firearm.

Condolences for those who have suffered the loss. Time to take it as an opportunity to think on what could have been done to avoid the stray firearm bouncing along in the car.

BTW, none of this is intended as a bash or "diss" or anything of the sort. The gun fell to the ground because of a reason. The goal is for the people involved to find that reason and fix it ... else, it could happen again.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is sad.

My heart goes out to him, what little heart I have left.

Biker

Sad story that a properly stored firearm would not have been able to cause...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

It fell to the ground, and nobody wanted that to occur. But that's hardly sufficient to call the situation accidental.
    While I dont totally disagree with you, there was a certain amount of negligence by not securing the weapon properly or unloading it. That itself is why I posted this story. I think it was purely an accident that it landed on the hammer hard enough to discharge.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

This is not a 'accident' either, it's negligence.

1) Storing a firearm as loaded;
    2) Transporting a firearm as uncased;
    3) Improperly secured firearm as stowed/stored within the means of conveyance.
    Note: This is for those who might wish to argue that they too carry a _defensive_ purpose handgun in their own vehicles stowed/stored as same (poorly).

All that either person had to do to save a life was simply _remove the ammunition_ and check it to be CLEAR.

A further step of casing the firearm (although transport of a cased firearm as loaded is unlawful) or even simply having dropped the hammer on an empty round would have been minimally safe but enough to keep them out of hot water.

I see no accident here, just a lot of unfortunate thoughtless negligence. :|

- Janq has yet to hear of a true gun 'accident' story

"ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use...Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons...Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions....Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling." - NRA Gun Safety Rules
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Reinforces what we all know. ND can kill.
    My heart goes out to the victim, her husband, the families, and friends. Remember what your new spouse and sweetheart meant to you. Think about this young man and pray he achieves some sort of inner reconciliation in the future. What a tragedy.

Sad story, and preventable.

The issue with the older pistol is one reason I stopped carrying my first CCW gun, because it does not have the internal safety features common in many newer guns.

There is nothing wrong with carrying an older gun, but it may require a greater attention to detail than a newer gun. As hard as I try, I cannot be perfect: I bounced my XD9sc off the tile floor of a gas station restroom once from belt height. Had I dropped my S&W 59, it might have discharged.

That's got to be a one in a million chance, but with 300 million people in America its going to happen sooner or later. Even more surprising that it was "only" a 22.

Prayers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links