Good (to a point) Armed Robbery Thwarted

This is a discussion on Good (to a point) Armed Robbery Thwarted within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Would-be robbers stopped by crowd September 28, 2009 @ 11:10 PM DAVID E. MALLOY The Herald-Dispatch ASHLAND -- A group of adults captured and detained ...

Thread: Good (to a point) Armed Robbery Thwarted

Good (to a point) Armed Robbery Thwarted

Would-be robbers stopped by crowd
    September 28, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

DAVID E. MALLOY

The Herald-Dispatch

ASHLAND -- A group of adults captured and detained one of three people wearing Halloween masks and suspected of trying to rob the Colonial Inn at 1835 Winchester Ave. on Sunday night, according to Ashland police.

Two men and a woman wearing masks entered the motel office about 9:30 p.m. Sunday, according to an Ashland Police Department press release. One of the men showed a handgun and demanded money, according to the release.

A child left the office and alerted adults in the motel. A group of adults then ran toward the office, causing the suspects to run, according to the release. The crowd gave chase, catching and detaining the woman until police arrived. The two men fled in a nearby vehicle, according to the release.

The woman's name isn't being released until her identity is confirmed, said Maj. David Slone of the Ashland Police Department.

"We're still trying to confirm her identity," he said Monday morning. "She is an adult. She says she is from Parkersburg, W.Va."

The woman was taken to the Boyd County Detention Center, Slone said. She is charged with robbery, he said.

No money was taken, Slone said.

The investigation was ongoing, according to the release prepared by Lt. William Hensley
    Would-be robbers stopped by crowd - The Herald Dispatch

These people stopped an armed robbery. They were unarmed and lucky if you ask my humble oppinion. Ashland, KY is about 10 miles away from where I live. This would be the exact reason why I carry when traveling and going to motel/hotels.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a few sheep realized that even sheep can beat a wolf if they stick together. Bravo.

Post removed due to being located in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by Janq; September 29th, 2009 at 05:06 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Are we reading the same post?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I wish the pastor would have waited and watched from the safety of his vehicle, until the cops had responded and arrived on scene.

The lesson I will take from this, which is merely a reaffirmation, is do not assume that BGs do not remain even as you might not see or hear them in the immediate.

Had the BG been armed or brought backup along with him then this would have been a story reflecting the second pastor in two months to be murdered at/within their own church.

I'm sure the church and it's membership more highly values the life and healthful living of their pastor than the retention of their possessions as had been in the thief's hands.
    Also if the pastor had been injured/wounded while attempting to stop the thief alone on his own and he had been left to live wounded and disabled...Guess who would be left to cover that bill as into perpetuity until death do he part.
    First hint; It wouldn't be the thief.

A church burglary event is no different than a store or car dealership or anything else to that end.

Just a thought of consideration against the whole.
    Though personally I have zero issue at all and see no problem with a man of the cloth defending himself nor his flock as with a Bible in one hand and an arm at the other.

- Janq
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I almost feel sorry for the woman that her men left her behind to be captured. I hope she rats them out.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Looks like a few sheep realized that even sheep can beat a wolf if they stick together. Bravo.
    I wouldn't call them sheep they might have been toothless sheepdogs but they were sheepdogs nonetheless.And to be perfectly honest I would rather have one toothless sheepdog willing to get involved than 10 of the baddest sheepdogs that just stand there and observe.

Aww Geez!

Not the sheepdog talk again.

Hey sheepdogs, I'll tell you what. MY In-Laws have sheep on their Farm. I can take you there to run around and bark to your heart's content.

All in all, a good conclusion to the festivities IMO. One of the baddies was apprehended, and with luck the other nefarious felons will be apprehended as well.

This, to me, proves what Unions preach. There is strength in numbers. It seems that the baddies counted their lot, and opposing forces, and found themselves short.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Are we reading the same post?
    What the...?!

Weird.
    I'd posted this in the pastor thread stops thief thread, or at least thought I had.

Will remove and re-post.
    Thanks for the heads up.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

A great, but possibly dangerous, ending to an attempted robbery. It's a shame there was not a sheepdog in the herd...

That one captured girl...she'll talk!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links