You Say It Isn't Guns?

This is a discussion on You Say It Isn't Guns? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Drug deaths overtake traffic fatals in 16 states - The Herald Dispatch Mods, move this if it's in the wrong topic area. Who would have ...

Thread: You Say It Isn't Guns?

You Say It Isn't Guns?

Drug deaths overtake traffic fatals in 16 states - The Herald Dispatch

Mods, move this if it's in the wrong topic area.

Who would have thought this. When we hear from anti's all the time about how guns are killing more and more people each and every day, you'd think by their statements it was epidemic. Now this? Kind of saps the wind out of their arguement a bit doesn't it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Sure does, but do you think they will believe it?
    Anti's will be anti's no matter how much fact we show them.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Good article, but it's hard to change a libs mind about which one is more dangerous.... a car or a gun.....seems logical when you look at the incidents...but we both know they don't think like that :)
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    What really boggles the mind, are the anti's are the same ones demanding the legalization of all drugs. Go figure........
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    ...When we hear from anti's all the time about how guns are killing more and more people each and every day, you'd think by their statements it was epidemic. Now this? Kind of saps the wind out of their argument a bit doesn't it.
    No, not really.

One argument does not override or reduce the value of the other, as in either direction pro or against.

For example...

United States of America - Current
    •Number of deaths: 2,426,264
    •Death rate: 810.4 deaths per 100,000 population
    •Life expectancy: 77. 7years
    •Infant Mortality rate: 6.69 deaths per 1,000 live births

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
    •Heart disease: 631,636
    •Cancer: 559,888
    •Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 137,119
    •Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,583
    •Accidents (unintentional injuries): 121,599
    •Diabetes: 72,449
    •Alzheimer's disease: 72,432
    •Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,326
    •Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,344
    Septicemia: 34,234

Source - Centers for Disease Control: FASTSTATS - Deaths and Mortality

Diabetes, Heart disease and Stroke are known to be directly related to a persons diet and lack of regular and consistent minimal degree exercise.
    If we could cut by just 25% stroke, diabetes, and heart disease (841,204 total!) the result would be 210,301 lives saved.

Which is _LESS_ than all/100% of the deaths as a result of; septicimia, Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis,flu & pneumonia, and diabetes combined!

All people have to do to gain this net result and _LIVE_ is make a conscious choice to eat better, exercise more often and regularly, as well as encourage their house mate and children to do same.
    They can even keep smoking, drinking alcohol, and eating pizza as they do this.

Now THAT is an epidemic so say statisticians, medical professionals, and insurance companies.

How does this relate to injury _and_ deaths as specifically attributable to illegal and/or recreational drug use, and/or guns?

It doesn't.
    And that's my point.

One 'epidemic' does not override or make less worth while the other.
    Anti's do not see one as being in trade as against the other. Nor should they. Nor should we. I personally do not as well.

They are all bad and items of grave concern requiring action.

* Healthful living practices (not post issue after care)
    * Crime and criminality as including drug use & abuse as well as gun crimes
    * Firearm education as toward proper handling & use and product safety

One 'epidemic' does not supersede another and it's illogical and not sensible to think of or look at them as such.
    Why? Because they all are great killers and if one doesn't get ya very likely as based on stats and odds another will.

- Janq

P.S. - I selected this specific subject of mortality not to simply have a reason to make a long post of words.
    But rather to dually make very clear my pointed response AND to take advantage of the opportunity so as to educate additional Americans to the facts of this epidemic which is largely _avoidable_.

More over for every _pro-2A/RKBA persons life saved_ that is one more vote (!) plus potentially that of his/her wife and/or child/children who will stand with us as against those who wish to deny us our rights!

So very simply, as by extension, combating the epidemic of unnecessary and largely avoidable mortality as related to diet & exercise in America directly supports our own specific and secondary cause of defending our human and Constitutionally protected rights, and that of the American way.
    Same applies to combating illegal/recreational drug use which no doubt includes persons if not family too amongst our direct company as here at DC.com (!).

All of these 'epidemics' are real and important, equally.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Janq, I'd like to point out that what you are referring to is Type 2 Diabetes. Type 1 is childhood onset and is due to genetic causes.

My wife has Type 1 and it is a pet peeve of ours. People automatically associate diabetes with obesity. Personal responsibility cannot prevent Type one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Janq, I'd like to point out that what you are referring to is Type 2 Diabetes. Type 1 is childhood onset and is due to genetic causes.

My wife has Type 1 and it is a pet peeve of ours. People automatically associate diabetes with obesity. Personal responsibility cannot prevent Type one.
    Its true. The two should not even really share the same name, they are technically in a different classification in modern medicine.

Type-1 appears to be genome related, in other words its in your genes and determined from birth.

While there are now studies that are indicating that Type-2 is actually a type of poisoning. People who cut out or greatly reduce corn syrup and white or bleached carbs can actually cure themselves of the disease. This is new thinking and many doctors are starting to see it this way.

There is a study going on at Cornell right now that my friend is involved with and early indicators are that people are literally overdosing on corn syrup. Some people are drinking 40 ounces of corn syrup drinks per day, while others are drinking only water and 100% fruit drinks. And the results are crazy. Even the people that are not losing weight are reducing their blood pressure, increasing heart rate performance and stamina just by replacing corn syrup with water.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post

Correct.

Although I did not define the term, as I literally carried over the data from the as cited CDC source.

Even still though as numbers go the amount of people with genetic diabetes (Type 1) is low as compared to the whole, inclusive of Type 2 which are not genetic. Type 2 makes up the lions share at ~90% of all diabetes condition diagnoses.
    Further Type 2 is on the extreme rise as from childhood detection/onset as into adult. While Type 1 is not specific to childhood onset and can pop up at literally any age in a persons life.

So in the end even as there are two distinct types of diabetes the numbers and point still stands.
    The vast majority of diabetes cases are not genetic and are avoidable as directly related to peoples choices.

Just the same as with obesity, drug use/dependence, and acquiescence of ones human and Constitutionally protected rights.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Fatcat,

Don't even get me started on water as related to general fitness and illness.
    Much of America walks around as being in a normal and constant state of dehydration. For periods of days, weeks, and even years...And folk wonder why it's difficult to think, feel 'good', or do any number of otherwise basic and regular human bodily functions such as excrete and pass waste.

Water, it's what a body needs....As rather than drugs and managed healthcare.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; October 1st, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    While there are now studies that are indicating that Type-2 is actually a type of poisoning. People who cut out or greatly reduce corn syrup and white or bleached carbs can actually cure themselves of the disease. This is new thinking and many doctors are starting to see it this way.
    I totaly agree with this and long ago cut out corn syrup and white flour products, however, diabetes has been identified for a long time. One article I read, "In the first century A.D. a Greek, Aretaeus, described the destructive nature of the affliction which he named "diabetes" from the Greek word for siphon." And I have read other accounts that relay the recognition of diabetes centuries ago. Diabetes predates corn syrup and ball mills that enable our food grains to be ground so very fine.

That said, I am sure our modern diet is the source of the epidemic of type II that we see today. I am just not sure what will cure or prevent diabetes in all sufferers.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    What really boggles the mind, are the anti's are the same ones demanding the legalization of all drugs. Go figure........
    That is a rather broad statement, and is also not true.

Links