Government Study Shows Disabled people 50% more likely to be attacked.

This is a discussion on Government Study Shows Disabled people 50% more likely to be attacked. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Study: Disabled more likely to be victims of violent crime - CNN.com WASHINGTON (CNN) -- People with disabilities are 50 percent more likely to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government Study Shows Disabled people 50% more likely to be attacked.

Study: Disabled more likely to be victims of violent crime - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- People with disabilities are 50 percent more likely to be victims of violent crimes than are people without disabilities, according to a government study released Thursday.

A study suggests the disabled are more likely to be victims of violent crime than those without disabilities.
    The first national study of its kind found that a wide range of disabled people -- including blind, deaf, developmentally disabled, and others with physical and mental limitations -- were victims of assaults, rapes and robberies in 716,000 cases in 2007.

The study by the U.S. Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics said instances of violence against disabled people occurred overall 1 times the rate of those without disabilities, but the numbers varied by age group.

The most vulnerable groups were disabled people ages 12 to 19 and 35 to 49, for whom victimization occurred at nearly twice the rate of non-disabled persons.

Michael Rand, chief of victimization research for the Bureau of Justice Statistics, did not speculate on the reasons for the findings.

"It's hard to say," Rand said. "We didn't try to get at motivations."

Rand, a co-author of the study, said many of the crimes were committed by people who did not know their victims. Forty percent of the crimes against disabled male victims were committed by strangers versus 45 percent against those without disabilities.

Don't Miss
    Read Justice Department's findings
    The difference for females was greater: 34 percent of disabled females were victimized by strangers versus 24 percent for women without disabilities.

The study found that people with cognitive disabilities such as mental retardation, developmental disabilities and cerebral palsy represented the largest group of victims.

Simple assaults accounted for about two-thirds of the crimes against disabled people in the study, which tallied 476,000 simple assaults, 114,000 aggravated assaults, 79,000 robberies, and 47,000 rapes or sexual assaults.

A good follow up article would be how Disabled People can better their chances of beating their assailant.

If only there was such a device that made a 90 year old evenly matched for a 23 year old.

Oh wait! There is!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

2. Remove Ads

Given the mindset of today's criminal, that statistic does not suprise me. Criminals want victims that have less to no chance of fighting back, it makes it easier and safer to do what they do. A sad statistic, but a very real and true one.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I wonder how much money they spent finding out what anyone with common horse sense could find out by simply watching the world go by.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    A good follow up article would be how Disabled People can better their chances of beating their assailant.

If only there was such a device that made a 90 year old evenly matched for a 23 year old.

Oh wait! There is!
    Many, many disabled people can benefit from carrying a firearm, and I love hearing about a supposedly defenseless person putting the hammer down on a scumbag criminal! However, there are also those who would not benefit because their disability severely affects their coordination or requires both hands to manage braces or similar implements.

Someone very close to me has Multiple Sclerosis and her tremors and damaged motor skills (especially the hands) would make using a firearm as much a danger to herself as an attacker (literally!) even if the attack occured in the home where she had a chance to reach the gun before the attacker reached her. Out in a parking lot where she's leaning on a cane (with her dominant hand) trying to get to her car? No chance. She has neither the speed nor the strength to resist in the most basic sense.

There are many people who could act in their own self-defense and, like sheep, choose not to. Unfortunately there are at least a few who have been robbed of that choice. This is why I don't cry over a thug getting put down permanently; it's one less scumbag that might come across my girl.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member

Ya think?

Gee, ya think maybe scum bags prey on targets they perceive as easy and/or unable to defend themselves? Just another reason why everyone should be armed.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post

Gee, ya think maybe scum bags prey on targets they perceive as easy and/or unable to defend themselves? Just another reason why everyone should be armed.
    No way man, bad guys go for the folks that will put up the biggest fight, then they have more to brag to their scum bag buddies about. It ain't cool to tell them that they robbed a 90 yr old lady with a walker, but saying they got it from 3 or 4 dudes that look like they play linebacker will get them some respect.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    No way man, bad guys go for the folks that will put up the biggest fight, then they have more to brag to their scum bag buddies about.
    Oh they'll still hit the 90-yr-old; they'll just tell all their scum buddies it was a pipe-hittin' linebacker.
    "Street cred" isn't how you do it, it's how you sell it!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

In the 'animal world' (both two-legged, and four-legged), the weak are always the chosen target.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    This is exactly why Colt revolvers became known as "The Great Equalizer"

You don't need the government to tell you that. Plain and simple...the scum of the earth prey on the weak and disabled. If they had any backbone, they'd try me since I seem to have something new to teach that might interest them and make it more game. But then again, most of 'em wouldn't put out that much effort.

Yup. But then, we didn't need a $10M study funded by your tax dollars to tell you that. It most certainly wasn't needed to tell me.

Wolves thin the herd, focusing on the weaker members (elderly, youngest, infirm, unable to defend or escape). Always has been that way. Always will be, generally speaking.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 2nd, 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm physically disabled,but my 1911 ain't
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm severely hearing impaired.. what we call "little d deaf" rather than "big D Deaf".

I have to say this impairment was definitely one of the contributing factors in my decision to be armed. I'm much more likely to be attacked from behind (or not notice something outside of my line of sight) that others may have a better chance of dodging because they heard something. Any extra advantage I can have, the better.

The plus side is... I don't use nearly as many earplugs at the range. ;)

PM
    That is why the 95 pound guy gets sand in the face at the beach!! I have seen young bucks look at me went I walk I carry a cane so as to defend against dogs (figure that a good galf swing will end most dogs desire without permently ending their life). Well as I walked a week ago I saw a couple of thugs cross the street at mid block to get behind me. After following me for a block the chose to turn off --- they figure I was not a mark -- did not need that which I carried or they had not the intent which I think they did!!

As for attackes on some of the disabke population --- they make poor witnesses therefore they are targets. They will either be unable to testify or not be believed when they do testify.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Empowering the disabled with situational awareness, legal knowledge, and firearms would be a noble cause.

I expect the knowledge on this board and the pistol in my pocket will help me continue participation fully in life, even as I age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links