Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident

This is a discussion on Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He set the firearm down pointed at his "wife" and the paper says that's the "correct" thing to do? Hmmmmmmm. Maybe he wanted to accidentally ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident

He set the firearm down pointed at his "wife" and the paper says that's the "correct" thing to do? Hmmmmmmm. Maybe he wanted to accidentally get rid of her.
    Reminds me of the movie "Total Recall" where Arnold offed his so-called wife with a big hand gun and then uttered "consider that a divorce."

All joking/kidding I agree with Janq that this was a multitude of errors. BTW Janq, I like the pic you put in your reply. I have a S&W .22 revolver that looks exactly like that one.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    So let me get this right,the gun fired and miraculously hit him in his hand,and his wife and the guy in the next stall,I find it highly unlikely that a semi auto not being held to offer the necessary resistance to keep it from jamming after the first shot kept firing,I bet dipstick shot himself in the hand trying to unload the gun or had a misfire and was trying to cycle the action when it fired,it's possible that gun may have fired 3 rounds full auto before it ran out of ammo,if the gun was altered and it fired 3 rounds full auto he will be getting a visit from the ATF as he was in posession of a "machinegun".He broke a lot of gun safety rules
    That sounds more like the scenario to me.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    No we don't. [in response to "Now we KNOW it was altered!"
    Hmm, I took this as a joke at Jenning's expense...in that no unaltered Jennings could possibly fire 3 rounds in a row.

Regardless, I think socal2310 nailed it...but who's left to sue? Wasn't Bryco sued into oblivion already?

Interestingly, the most dangerous range situation I've ever witnessed was with a Jennings...the macho guy, trying to teach his kids to shoot, had resorted to beating it with a rock to try to get the slide back when it went off and almost put a bullet into his foot. He turned it into a shouting lecture at his children about gun safety and cheap guns.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    This may (or maybe not) clear a few things up:

Police: Faulty Gun Sparked Shooting | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

Police: Faulty Gun Sparked Shooting
    Investigators say malfunction with the handgun, not owner carelessness, caused accident.

By Shoshana Walter
    THE LEDGER

Published: Saturday, October 10, 2009 at 11:20 p.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, October 10, 2009 at 11:20 p.m.
    LAKELAND | Michael Thourot plunked the pot roast onto a stump in the yard, brought his 5-year-old daughter outside, and handed her a gun.

"Look at this pot roast. It represents your friend," he said. The roast, he explained, is about the same consistency as a human being. He told her to inspect the gun to ensure the clip was empty. If you were to point and pull the trigger, he asked her, are you confident you would not shoot your friend?

When she insisted she was, he told her to fire. The bullet tore through and destroyed the roast.

"She was horrified," he said. But if children are going to be around guns, they must learn how to handle one safely, to respect the weapon and its inner workings as a mechanical device, he said. If you don't, "You have to know, when you point a gun at somebody, this is what's gonna happen."

Since Thourot's gun accidentally discharged last weekend at Saddle Creek Shooting Range in Lakeland, Thourot says he became a target of unlikely criticism; he was condemned for not following safety procedures, something he says he has done all his life.

Detectives now say it was not Thourot, but a malfunction in his Jennings 9 mm semi-automatic pistol that caused the Oct. 3 shooting that injured Thourot, his wife and an Irish tourist, who was in Polk County visiting friends and was with them at the range.

Thourot, 47, who lives in Tampa but comes to Polk County because he likes the county-run shooting range, had just set down the handgun about 10:30 a.m. when it went off, puncturing his wife Sherri's left armpit, striking 29-year-old Gary Flynn's shoulder and throat, and slicing through Thourot's left hand. Another bullet had just grazed his stomach when the gun jammed.

"Thank God," he said. "The next bullet probably would have killed me."

All three are expected to recover and were discharged from Lakeland Regional Medical Center last week. After inspecting the gun, sheriff's detectives said they do not plan on pursuing criminal charges.

Thourot says that was his first time shooting the gun, a gift from his stepson, a Navy paramedic who'd inherited it from a friend.

As such, Thourot said he took the same kind of precautions he'd take with any new gun. He inspected it, cleaned it and test-fired it, looking for delays and any other problems.

"You don't just grab it and shoot it ... 'Woo hoo, I'm gonna have some fun,'" he said. "I was more curious about how the weapon was behaving than the target."

The Jennings seemed fine, and he gave it to his wife to shoot. Then he reloaded the clip and double-checked to see that the bullets were sitting right in the chamber. He released the trigger, setting the barrel downrange gently onto the bench.

"At the same exact time, the weapon took off," he said. It fired between three and six bullets, then jammed.

"I've never had a weapon that disobeyed me in that manner. We're lucky that there were no fatalities. When you accidentally shoot somebody...It's just a bad memory."

After he was released from the hospital, Thourot researched the Jennings 9 mm and discovered that many have experienced similar malfunctions.

Design flaws in the original Jennings are well-documented in news reports, and an accidental discharge and the ensuing lawsuit caused the gun's original manufacturer, Bryco Arms, to file for bankruptcy in 2003. The latest incarnation of the company, Jimenez Arms, now manufactures in Nevada.

Buyers like the gun's low price, but many shops in Lakeland do not carry the Jennings 9 mm.

"It's of lower quality, in my opinion," said Christine Smith, owner of Tenoroc Shooting Sports in Lakeland. She stopped selling the gun years ago. "When customers coming out with that firearm kept on having malfunction problems, I was like, 'Wow.' "

Thourot, who says he is a member of the National Rifle Association, continues his support of guns, and says his 14-year-old daughter still plans on joining the military.

He does not plan on using the Jennings again.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

All kinds of bad in the above update.

* He gives a handgun to a five year old with purpose to scare the bejessus out of her as a lesson plan?!!!

* He accepts a gun whos history he knows zero about as in specific or make & model general and does not think to have it inspected by a _real_ gunsmith.
    But he does think to "inspect it", which means he worked the action a few times and found it wasn't seized. Then he cleaned and test fired it with a "clip".

* Again as was noted in this thread prior he loaded the firearm AND chambered a round, to make it ready. Only to then lay it down on the bench...As loaded and chambered with the hammer back.
    I said it before and I'll say it again...This is stupid and is against basic firearm safety rules and is against range safety rules too.
    DO NOT DO THIS!

* He thinks to learn about what exactly this gun is and run a simple Google search, only after he's caused himself and two other people serious injury.

And he blames this all on the gun.
    A gun that did not load nor chamber itself and cock it's own hammer.
    Never mind that he was fool enough to handle something that manages high pressure contained explosion (!) without knowing literally anything about it what so ever beyond ehh it's a gun and it has a trigger that makes it go BANG!
    Which he'd handed off to a five yr. old for some hare brained life lesson learning plan.
    But, he does not plan on using the Jennings again.

Brilliant.

Do not do this nor be this fool.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Anyone who thinks Jang's opinion is even a little over the top should spend an afternoon in a range control booth and watch the idiocy, and pay attention to who the idiots are - you'd be surprised.

TOF
    The man's error was in placing the loaded gun on the table not that he failed to pay some gunsmith to evaluate the gun for him.

I have purchased many guns over the past 50+ years and did not take any to a gunsmith for evaluation. I do not however, make a practice of laying a loaded gun on a table in the midst of a group of people and have yet to have one go off on it's own.

After visual inspection, I have scrapped a couple of guns without firing them and have made repairs after finding fault while firing some. I certainly don't believe that makes me or anyone that would do so a bad person. What routine do you expect a Gunsmith to follow other than that.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    When at a public range a firearm should be grounded/benched and kept there as with it's action _OPEN_!!!

Be it a revolver, semi-automatic handgun, rifle, or shotgun.
    Any kind of projectile firing device!
    Which would include crossbows too that are very popular amongst sportsmen and are also found on ranges.

Had the Jennings owner at a minimum known this and followed as much then the situation would not have occurred, even as his firearm was mechanically unsafe.
    And most importantly no one would have been hurt.

Yet another do not do this life lesson as by proxy.
    Gun grounded an on the deck, with magazine removed or cylinder emptied, action open as facing upward for direct view as by the shooter, RO, and any other shooters sharing the line.

- Janq

"ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use." - NRA Gun Safety Rule _ AND_ NRA HdQ Range Rule
    Source - NRA Gun Safety Rules
    AMEN!!!!

Puffer ( NRA TC/CRSO )

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    This may (or maybe not) clear a few things up:

Police: Faulty Gun Sparked Shooting | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

Police: Faulty Gun Sparked Shooting
    Investigators say malfunction with the handgun, not owner carelessness, caused accident.

By Shoshana Walter
    THE LEDGER

Published: Saturday, October 10, 2009 at 11:20 p.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, October 10, 2009 at 11:20 p.m.
    LAKELAND | Michael Thourot plunked the pot roast onto a stump in the yard, brought his 5-year-old daughter outside, and handed her a gun.

"Look at this pot roast. It represents your friend," he said. The roast, he explained, is about the same consistency as a human being. He told her to inspect the gun to ensure the clip was empty. If you were to point and pull the trigger, he asked her, are you confident you would not shoot your friend?

When she insisted she was, he told her to fire. The bullet tore through and destroyed the roast.

"She was horrified," he said. But if children are going to be around guns, they must learn how to handle one safely, to respect the weapon and its inner workings as a mechanical device, he said. If you don't, "You have to know, when you point a gun at somebody, this is what's gonna happen."

~snip~
    Oh....My....God!
    You have got to be freaking kidding me.

So he chambers a round on the sly, hands the gun to a 5 year old, has her inspect it to insure it's empty, and then coaches her to point it at a meat effigy of her friend and pull the trigger after assisting her in believing it was un-loaded? All this AFTER what happened at the range?

I have no words....

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    The man's error was in placing the loaded gun on the table not that he failed to pay some gunsmith to evaluate the gun for him...
    Keep reading the _remainder_ of my post.

I had addressed just that in the very next bullet point, as all being responses in full toward points made in the article overall.

The bottom line amongst all the numbers of wrong actions made here, clearly his gravest and most avoidable error was in placing a loaded, chambered, and cocked firearm as on the bench...which I'll say once more is a MAJOR firearm safety violation in general never mind as a range safety rule too.

Do not do this.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Here we have to open action and insert flag. The gun should have never been set down Loaded, even if it did supposedly just start spewing rounds. Not sure where i stand on it but I guess crazy can happen .
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Keep reading the _remainder_ of my post.

I had addressed just that in the very next bullet point, as all being responses in full toward points made in the article overall.

The bottom line amongst all the numbers of wrong actions made here, clearly his gravest and most avoidable error was in placing a loaded, chambered, and cocked firearm as on the bench...which I'll say once more is a MAJOR firearm safety violation in general never mind as a range safety rule too.

Do not do this.

- Janq
    No need I read your whole post the first time.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links